Speed test differences - again

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lothar0
Freshman

Speed test differences - again

I watced the video, I read the files so one more time please explain why the Customer Support team asks for testmy.net and technicians ask for the Huges test? Testmy.net shows a 2MBPS download while the Hughes shows a speedy 25MBPS. I go to the ultimate test - watch a video and see no buffering which indicates to me an acceptable speed. So whats the real deal ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lothar0

The simple answer is that Hughesnet's own test is often buggy and testmy's test is what the engineers prefer.  I don't know why, but I have a feeling that it's the additonal info testmy results give and the fact that it uses a specified test file size, unlike the Hughesnet test.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lothar0

The simple answer is that Hughesnet's own test is often buggy and testmy's test is what the engineers prefer.  I don't know why, but I have a feeling that it's the additonal info testmy results give and the fact that it uses a specified test file size, unlike the Hughesnet test.  

Also that the on-site test is just a test within Hughes network without the external internet backbone.

Going to testmy takes it a full path to several external servers and most often gives you an opportunity to test several paths.

So if Hughes is saying 25 and going to testmy is much lower, there's really a problem at Level3's (or whoever) path and after.

And yes, I love to single out Level3 just because their routing is rather suspect at times.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.