cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed test not working?

Speed test not working?

I'm having a similar issue. After upgrading to Gen4 a month and a half Ago I started to use the HughesNet speed checker on the "Customer Care" site and printed the results as a baseline for my service. I got 4 results (not quite a statistically strong sample) and printed them before the test began to "not work". I also use/used the "Speed Checker" App which mirrored these results fairly well and have a good baseline difference between my old HughesNet and my Gen4 service. I have the latest Java, it just updated today but the final screen did not appear as it should have yet in my browser. Explorer, and in my Programs it shows up as the "only copy" of the latest version, downloaded today. It is "enabled" in my browser too. Yet the problem appears to be with how Gen4 and Java work together?????

The Speed Checker App generally fails during upload so I get Ping Times and Download Speed but not Upload and, hence, I cant save the result. The HughesNet App used to Give me download speeds before it failed but not any more, it doesn't even start the test now.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: Speed Test Not Working.
4 REPLIES 4

Re: Speed test not working?

Hello Geeko,

I'd like to help you figure this out. Have you tried other applets or websites that use Java to test its functionality? Also, have you given the speed test a try in a different web browser like Firefox or Google Chrome? There may just be some conflict happening between the latest version of Java and the version of IE you are using, but we'd have to test a different browser to find out. Let us know.

Thanks
Amanda
New Poster

I think Amanda is correct, I had to update my Java 3 times in the last few months to get the Hughes speed test to work.

Although I like Google Chrome the information I have gleaned from the Web is that, as far as security is concerned, Explorer is the safest. With this computer I don't wish to complicate life, at this point, by adding browsers. Having said this I resolved the problem at least for now. Here is what I have done: First I went to "Programs and Features" (Win 8.1), checked Java and in the box at the bottom of the window there is a link to Java issue resolution. Deleted Java, and closed all open windows. Opened explore and went to the last web site, Java, and installed it with their "Offline Installer". This gave me a newer version than the one it updated too a day ago??? Performed a "Restart" and all speed tests, Hughes and "Speed Checker" worked as before. However, in the case of "Speed Checker" all of its previous data has disappeared???? We'll see if it lasts!
Highlighted

Hi Geeko,

Good to know! We will keep these steps saved in case someone in the future might have the same problem. Let us know how it goes!

Thanks
Amanda