cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed way too slow. Slower than we were told!

Speed way too slow. Slower than we were told!

I wish we would have read all these bad reviews before signing up. This is worse than dial up. We've been told that after using the data allowance it will slow to about 2-5 MB/s. Well - right now it's doing 3.5 KB/s. I really feel deceived and scammed!
7 REPLIES 7
Advanced Tutor

Re: Speed way too slow. Slower than we were told!

If your system is only doing 3.5KB/s, then something is wrong with your system or you've used up all your data.

Log into your modem at http://192.168.0.1 and see if the little box on the top left is orange.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Advanced Tutor

And if someone did tell you the throttled speed was 2-5 MB/s, that is not correct. If this was said by a sales agent, HughesNet may be able to pull a voice recording of the conversation if you'll post the serial number of your modem.

If you've used up your data, you can buy more.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Assistant Professor

If in FAP mode, used all data and being throttled, speed will be up to 150 kbps which will seem extremely slow. No way will it be 2-5 MB/s, Hughes speed is Mbps.
Assistant Professor

As in megabits per second, not megabytes.
Highlighted

sounds like your dish may need to be re-tweaked. Also, I keep reading about all these people complaining about there data allowance. If you don't watch what you're doing with the internet you can use up the 10 or 20 gig of data in no time, you can not be watching movies or watching videos with this small amount of data allowance, unfortunately 20 gig of data is the most you can get per month with HughesNet , So people just WATCH, BE AWARE of your usage or you will constantly be going over your data allowance.

My question to you is are you using a router? If so unplug the router and plug the modem directly into the computer. Speeds tend to vary based on how many devices are streaming and connected to your router.
Alum

Hi wryadiantguy,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting! Were you told all of this on your sales call? If so we can request for the call to be reviewed. Also, did you test your speeds while not in FAP? Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you,
Chris