cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed

g4greg

Speed

This is terrible service. I pay $100 a month and can't download a movie to watch with my grandkids. But they say to look at standard tv instead of HD.
then I have to pay almost$200 to get the desired service.
Be careful, it's Not worth it!
2 REPLIES 2
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Speed

Why can't you download a movie? What exactly happens?

Why do you have to pay $200 on top of the $100?

Satellite internet has limited bandwitdh (the biggest data package is 50GB), and it's expensive to maintain, so it's expensive for all of us subscribers.  Downloading TV and movies is sure to eat your bandwidth very quickly.  Using standard definition as opposed to HD will save data, but in the long run, streaming is a data hog, and while you can totally stream with satellite, it can't be done with the same frequency as if you had terrestrial cable. 

Do you have any other options in your area that might work better for you?

g4greg wrote:
This is terrible service. I pay $100 a month and can't download a movie to watch with my grandkids. But they say to look at standard tv instead of HD.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Speed

@g4greg wrote:

Standard definition, as in reducing the stream from HD to SD, not a standard TV.  Depending on the streaming source, you may be able to reduce the resolution to SD, which can help with streaming.  

In addition, you may want to try turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver.  

You may also want to look into PlayOn Cloud.  It is a service that "captures" your chosen streamed item, records it to a cloud based DVR (a remote server), and converts it to an mp4 file, which you then download, either automatically, by scheduling, or manually from a link sent to your email.  PlayOn Cloud completely eliminates the buffering because you're watching the item from an already downloaded file.  You can also keep what you download, and it never expires.  The files can be played on anything that can play mp4 files, including many Smart TVs and DVD/Blu Ray players using a USB flash drive, or even optical disks with the latter (if you write the files to a DVD or BluRay).  PlayOn Cloud also uses less data in comparison to normal streaming.  About 1GB per hour vs ~3GB per hour with regular streaming.  It maxes out at 720p instead of 1080p, but it still looks very good.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro