Speeds are not up to par with what I was sold

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lhorton2006

Speeds are not up to par with what I was sold

I had to install hughes net as it was my only option at the time
and it has been very horrible. I specifically asked if it would be fast enough to watch streaming video like Directv on demand and was told it would be fine. I am virtually paralyzed with how slow the internet is and as of yet have been unable to stream even a you tube video. The internet is useless and the speed tests even fail because it is too slow. Absolutely the worst internet I could imagine. Unfortunately I am locked in with horrible cancellation fees and even though I purchased the protection plan I am having to pay $125 for repairs because a cable got cut. I am currently starting my search for new service and the money to get out of this terrible company.
8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

lhorton2006,

What speeds are you getting?

Besides Hughesnet's own test on their site, you can do tests at testmy.net.

Please create an account at testmy.net, and under that account, with a single device connected directly tot he modem with a LAN cable, NO ROUTER, run a few download tests using the 12MB manual test size.  The tests should be spaced at least five minutes apart. 

After running a few tests, you can post your results URL.  Click on "Results" on the upper right, and copy/paste the results page URL into a post on here.  It will look like the following, but with YOUR user name where it says "yourusername".

http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

lhorton2006

Unfortunately I am away on business right now. I will ask my wife to do this, but not sure if she will understand. I am not sure it will work though as the other speed test won't load. Anytime I have tried to stream video it times out and fails. I have had to call a technician to the house for some repairs and have asked her to have them test the system as well. Will let you know the results when I have them. So far the phone service is bad as well if there is any hint of a storm in the area we can count on no phone or internet, but our directv works fine not sure why the signals differ since the dishes are right next to each other.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

While I can't comment on whether their signals are different, as I don't know, I do know that DirecTV's system is less complicated than that of Hughesnet's.  That's not an excuse, just an observation.  My Hughesnet signal is more affected by rain and such than is my DirecTV signal, as well.   

I hope the technician can help and give some answers as to what may be the problem. 

Amanda

Hi lhorton2006

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. Like GabeU mentioned, we could really use some of the speed test results as instructed in his first post. Have you checked to see if you are out of data when these issues occur? 

In regards to the fee charged  because of a cut cable - the Express Repair program only covers things in warranty. How did the cable get cut? 

Thanks
Amanda
Chris11
Alum

Hello lhorton2006, 

We'll be out of the office over the weekend. If you need some immediate assistance please give us a call at 1-866-347-3292. However feel free to post back with the details asked by Amanda, so we can continue to assist you once we're back. 

Thanks,
Chris
lhorton2006

Amanda,

Just to respond I have never even used more that 20% of my data because I can't use the internet for anything more than the occasional e-mail or web search. The speed is terrible. Just running a speed test takes 40+ seconds. Most pages I load take at least that long. As stated before I cannot use it to stream video which makes this internet useless to me in the majority of my needs.
lhorton2006

To clarify my average data usage is less than 10%.
Chris11
Alum

Hello lhorton,

What website are you using to run speed tests. Also, is this with one computer connected to the modem that you experience 40+ second of loading?

- Chris