Hughesnet Community

Speeds are too slow- Help!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
suebee68

Speeds are too slow- Help!

Upload/Download speeds are soooo slow. I called and was blown off. I tried to play with router settings but no help. Can someone give me an honest opinion and hope for speeds that make this 80 dollars a month just a little bit worth it all. I need to work from home and I cant with these numbers. I don't need tokens and I haven't used barely any of my monthly allotment.

DateDownloadUpload

7/10/2016 5:13     777     487

7/10/2016 5:11     764     510

7/10/2016 5:08     833     520

7/10/2016 5:06     749     466

7/5/2016 0:01     12805     52

7/4/2016 23:59     5113     39

7/4/2016 23:41     2062    156

34 REPLIES 34
Ricky
Tutor

The 1st thing you have to do is connect 1 computer directly to the modem. No router. Then run some speed test. Get a account at http://testmy.net/ . Then runs some speed test and post your link to them here. Run the test at least 5 mins apart and morning, noon and evening times. Be sure to use the 12 MB file size.
Larry Lockie

Also, with the variation of the readings, check for line of sight obstruction, twigs,limbs,etc, by sighting down the arm from behind the dish and see if anything could be blowing into the line of sight. Doesn't take much to mess the signal up. I've seen just 1 small twig in the LOS make a difference. Also check that the connectors are at least finger tight. (1 on the modem, 2 on the ground block, and 1 on the radio. Best to unplug power from Modem first to avoid any radio Radiation.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

suebee68,

As Ricky stated, please set up an account at http://testmy.net/ and, while signed into that account, run some download tests using the manual 12MB test size.  Make sure to run blocks of at least three tests, which each test spaced (at least) five minutes apart, and run a block at various times of the day, or at least when you are able to.  At the same time, you can do upload tests, as well.  When doing the upload tests, make sure to use the 2MB manual test size, and do them spaced like the download tests. 

When you have some tests completed, click on the "Results" tab at the top right, then copy and paste your results URL into a post so the tests can be viewed.  It will look like the following...

http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]  

It's very important to be signed in at testmy.net when you do these tests so it saves a record of the tests and gives a running tally.   It also makes it so each individual test can be looked at along with the particulars of the test. 

Both Hughesnet's own and the testmy.net tests are the only tests acceptable as accurate by Hughesnet because of the protocols used for the tests.  The testmy.net tests just seem to be more popular than Hughesnet's own and they give more info. 

Good luck.  Look forward to seeing the results.   

Chris11
Alum

Hi suebee,

Hope everyone's suggestions were able to help. You should definitely be taking the router out of the equation to get an accurate base line test. Then please post more results so we can continue to assist! Hope to hear from you soon!

Thanks,
Chris
GabeU

I have to start remembering to add that very important step in the instructions. 
suebee68

will do - had to pay for hotel all week in Denver as I couldn't do my job with Hughesnet ... Will be to my house in a few days
suebee68

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled suckie slow internet with customer service telling me everything is fine.

slow speeds in the kb range on upload and download - customer service says everything is fine. Should this be a crime that they suck money out of people and don't bother listening to the problem and helping people get the speeds that I KNOW satellite can give??? I have posted my speeds in other conversations but cant seem to find those replies either ... JOYFUL!
Chris11
Alum

Hi sue,

Just checking in to see if you were able to run some more tests for us to evaluate. Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Chris
suebee68

nothing in way of dish-
GabeU

Hi suebee68,

Were you able to run some tests at tesmy.net as of yet?  If so, could you provide the Results URL?  It will look similar to the following...  

http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

suebee68

the message its giving me : You might have a problem... Your connection scored only 24% of the Hughes Network Systems average (76% slower). This does not always mean that you're in bad shape. If the Internet package you subscribe to is slower than most people using your ISP you'll see this message
suebee68

GabeU

You've got some tests done, and that's good.  They may request of you a few more tests at different times of the day, if you are  so they can get an idea of what's going on during other times, but this will give them a place to start.  Right now is actually in the midst of a peak usage time, so speeds are often lower during this time of evening.  Again, though, this will give them a place to start. 

I just noticed that you have been using the 12MB size for the upload tests, as well.  For future tests, use the 2MB size for upload tests, but continue with the 12MB size for download tests.  The 12MB size you used for the upload tests gave accurate results, but you only need to use the 2MB for uploads.  It will save you some data.  12MB for download and 2MB for upload.   

Just to be sure, when performing the tests your are using a single device connected directly to the Hughesnet modem, right?  No router.  Routers can cause problems of their own.   

suebee68

lets hope they fix it so i dont ever need future tests..... this is ridiculous at best!
suebee68

GabeU

Hopefully they may be able to glean something from the tests run thus far, but again, they may need a few from other times as these were all done in a span of forty minutes.  They request tests from different times so they can see if there are different results at those different times.  It helps them to pinpoint and rule some things in or out.  Peak time results are often considerably slower than other times.  My peak time speeds often drop to a quarter or even less of my off peak speeds.   
Chris11
Alum

Hi Sue,

We appreciate you taking the time to run these tests. As mentioned by Gabe a few more will be necessary. It is best to run the tests in batches, about 5 minutes apart, throughout the day. Other than the last two results, your speeds weren't bad for peak time hours. So it will be helpful to see how your site performs at other times as well. Once you do so please post here and let us know.

Thanks,
Chris
suebee68

my neighbor has exede and it runs 3 times faster than hughesnet.... same owner - different name - whats up with that?! tired of working at starbucks 50 miles away .... as you can see by data usage I cant even work from home as it is that bad .... another unknowing customer sucked into paying for something that cant even get an email sent out.
GabeU

suebee68,

Why are you complaining again when you haven't bothered to take the necessary steps to determine what the problem is and fix it?  It's been six days and you've run no more tests, and the tests you did run aren't of much help because they were all run in less than an hour.

suebee68

i have called day after day and i cant be home to do it as it wont work well enough for me to be able to stay home except to sleep - i have to drive down the mountain every day to use internet that works - when i get home i sleep and do it all over again - THATS WHY IM COMPLAINING -