cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds are too slow- Help!

Highlighted

Re: Speeds are too slow- Help!

i have called day after day and i cant be home to do it as it wont work well enough for me to be able to stay home except to sleep - i have to drive down the mountain every day to use internet that works - when i get home i sleep and do it all over again - THATS WHY IM COMPLAINING -
Highlighted
Alum

Hi suebee68,

Looking at your recent tests run today, the speeds look fine. They fluctuated a bit but that is normal on a satellite connection. Are you maybe instead running out of data allowance when you experience slow service?

- Chris
Highlighted

Nope. Still have 89%. Can't even stream a video or go on work network
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

suebee68, when you say "work network" do you use a VPN service? If so, that could be the root of your problem with extreme slowdown. Another customer here wasn't aware their connection was being channeled through a VPN service and when she disabled it everything worked fine.
Highlighted
Alum

Hello suebee68,

BirdDog makes a great point. Can you provide info on any potential VPN services you use?

Thanks,
Chris
Highlighted

I have to go thru Vpn to get. Thru to my work server. But I don't have to use Vpn to use Internet and send emails and I still can't stream video or see half the web pages I go on or send email in under 4 minutes ( attachments or not)
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

When VPN is being used your connection speeds can be expected to drop by 50 to 70%
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Some of those VPN services lock onto your connection and you end up going through it even when doing normal things. All depends how it is configured, so many variables. 

Does your browser show any kind of VPN plugin? 

Does your work connection use a VPN service provider or is it a direct VPN connection to work?
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Do you use some kind of software utility to connect to it?

(man the site it wonky tonight)

Good article here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403388,00.asp
Highlighted

It's a separate program that I can sign in and sign out of to get on work server. It's only on my work computer. I know it's slow accessing work server But when disconnected or on personal computer there is no vpn. Still can't stream Only at 125 for signal strength with no trees around. What should strength be ? 175 or more?