cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds have been very low

Speeds have been very low

We got hughesnet in September of 2014, which has not been a great experience. I was told, as someone who uses the internet to post youtube videos and do a lot of gaming as well as browsing, that I would be able to do everything I was able to with our previous provider. Hughesnet was the only option other than frontier, which is awful in my opinion. I learned too late about what satellite internet really is,  forgetting to do my homework on it. The first few days, or the honeymoon days, were nice, as the speeds were as advertised and the data seemed to stay stable, until I found out that it was actually not moving for good reasons. After those few days, I was rather instantly struck with the FAP, not very fun as I learned. One-tenth of dial-up speeds isn't exactly very good. Therefore, I learned the hard way how little 5gb of data really is. After the first month, I was disappointed to realise that there was a contract.... We didn't sign anything but they claimed to have given us a "Verbal contract" over the phone, and was quite a wallet killer to cancel. We also specifically asked for them to not charge our credit card, and send us a bill. This made it very annoying when we saw a charge on our card for $73. We managed to get the bill down to $50 last month, after actually asking multiple times why our bill was so high. I have all but lost my mind since, especially after I tried loading up DayZ, only to find out that the ping was 856. I decided to attempt to try and play offline games as a compromise, but the size of games is not very small these days, definitely not 50kb like the old atari. As a matter of fact, after figuring out that I will only be able to use my bonus bytes to download games as web browsing takes up the other 5gb for the daily allowance, I have figured out that it will take about one year and three months to download the games I currently have queued in the Steam downloader.

This was about the last straw, as I didn't have many offline games to play. Then, later last month, I thought the service was getting rather... slow. In fact, wirelessly connected, we have not even achieved speeds above that of dial-up, and no, we were and are not in FAP. I have been running many speed tests lately, both connected to the modem directly and wirelessly across the house. I first figured that the speed may just be the weather, but I do not believe that the internet can be affected by the weather so horridly for 20 days in a row. I would love to cancel, but we don't and will likely not have enough money for that... At all. I am the only one in the house that actually uses the internet, and I have my main computer and a tablet, rarely connected at the same time and never connected at the same time when I did the speed tests. Most pages take up to 300 seconds, 5 minutes, to load up. Speedtest.net being one of them. This is the test I use, as it is trusted by many companies and is the most accurate speed test on the internet from what I have found. I have, for now, abandoned building computers and selling them, as ebay doesn't seem to like hughesnet, causing most of my payments to not go through. I have also been unable to use vpn's, which is extremely annoying for a gamer like me. OpenSSL sometimes does not load, causing many pages to be unencrypted, which I do not condone as I am one who enjoys his privacy. I have also been completely unable to use skype now, being lucky to hear 1 out of every 10 syllables from anyone. This is just a few of the many problems I have faced while using the Hughesnet service.

Here is the Serial Number of my modem: B3 0010102625 MA (The model should be an HT1100) 

And the pictures of the speed tests I have done today:
^ This is directly connect with an ethernet cable to the modem

^ This is a test done today wirelessly from our Belkin Router, with an 802.11ac protocol
15 REPLIES 15
Alum

Re: Speeds have been very low

Blaze,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear your not having a great experience with your service, but please allow us to help you here.

We were able to locate your account successfully and ran remote diagnostics on your site equipment. We see you have a Belkin router present. Can you run a set of speed tests today, with the modem connected directly to your computer, bypassing your router?

Please run the speed test from this link:
Speed test: http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com

Your patience and cooperation is appreciated, and we look forward to hearing
back from you.

- Warren

Thanks for the response, however the speeds the test say im getting don't translate very well onto either devices. So, being curious, I ran another speed test on speedtest.net afterwards. I ran a series of 5 speed tests consecutively, the last being at 4:24EST. Here are the 5 results as well as another result from speedtest.net, which, for some reason, I seem to trust more than your speed test. The Ookla speedtest seems to be most accurate in saying what I actually get from the internet, and Networx seems to agree. Results: 

^ Seems faster than yesterday, but still definitely not as advertised... I would also like to know how your speed test works in relation to others, i.e. what makes it any more reliable?
Honorary Alumnus

This is a repost on just that topic:

Patrick Fisher (Employee)

Also, a little more information on why we have our own test. (And no, it's not so we can doctor results).

Speed Test sites have many ways at their disposal to measure your speed, and they all do things differently. Some use Adobe Flash to measure speeds, some use Java, and some use your browser and JavaScript. Sometimes they use multiple connections, and maybe to multiple servers. Or maybe just a single connection. Some try to detect your location, which is tricky because as a satellite network, the address that matters is the location of your gateway, not your own location or where the IP address is registered. So they might pick a server in Kansas, or you might pick a server in New York where you live, but your gateway is in Washington state, thousands of miles away. Then, just to complicate things, we have a number of acceleration capabilities which try to improve performance over satellite by compensating for latency.

The end result of all of these variables is that we have no idea what they are actually measuring. A Speed Test might think it is giving you more accurate results by using weird tricks to get multiple measurements at once and combine them, but maybe our acceleration software interferes with that trick and makes it look better or worse than it is. Or maybe the speed test you pick has congestion on the internet link between them and us. Or maybe they pick a server that's thousands of miles from our gateway, so you have to deal with a bunch of extra internet latency. When we have all of these questions (and when we have no control or even information from the speed test provider about how it works), then we don't really get any useful information from external speed tests that we can use to troubleshoot. Finally, the one variable that they do show - uncontrolled internet links between us and them - is both rarely a problem, and not something you or Hughes is able to fix.

Our speed test is a simple test, which is designed to do us a couple favors:

1) We use Java, so that we can completely bypass your browser and any extensions or plugins, like Adobe Flash, that might introduce other variables. We don't have to question whether Adobe is doing weird things or your browser is crawling because of other extensions.

2) We log the tests, both so that we can see the tests you as an individual have run, and so that we can run reports on all of the speed tests for users in a given area, on a specific gateway, etc. This helps us identify performance trends versus performance problems that might be caused by a single user's configuration or LAN. If everyone else on your gateway or in your beam is getting good speed test results, but you are not, we can zero in on the things that are unique.

3) We control, manage, and monitor the links between gateways and speed test servers, so we can eliminate external factors like internet bandwidth as a culprit.

4) We can skip certain satellite optimizations as described above.

We do actually go out of your gateway on the same internet connection that your real traffic uses, to get to our speed test servers. So we aren't cheating by under-sizing our internet pipes and showing you just the satellite link, either.

Hopefully this helps shed some light on why we encourage users to use our own speed test service. Smiley Happy

One unfortunate issue with TestMy.net (since they really do have a very good, simple and accurate test methodology) is that our compression software is particularly good at compressing their data.

Much of the web traffic that we send toward your terminal gets compressed by our acceleration software. What that means is that if a web page has a 1MB JPEG image, we might compress it and only send 500KB over the satellite link before it gets decompressed on the other side by your terminal. If your connection is 2Mbps, we can effectively send you that 1MB image at a speed of 4Mbps. (As an added bonus, only the smaller size gets counted against your download allowance - we always pass the benefits of our acceleration on to users)

TestMy.net's data gets compressed by this, so they send you a (for example) 2MB file, we compress it on the fly to 500KB, and they get 4 times the actual raw speed of the link.

This makes their test accurate for seeing the effective throughput for compressible data, but not necessarily for something like a bulk file transfer. The Hughes test shows the actual raw speed of your connection, skipping that web acceleration.

Thanks, this seems to sound like a really good method. Though, if these speeds are true in which I am getting, I am left to wonder why my computers, both optimized to full potential on a daily basis, and rarely online at the same time,, only get about 40kb of connection through an 802.11ac router. Actually, my speeds used to measure up very close to 5MB/s on the site that I use, and I used to get about 1MB/s on the modem and 400KB/ across the house actual connection. The sudden drop of speed is very annoying, and the server tends to time out on many downloads, especially those of bulk. Sometimes the pages don't load, and only say that the server timed out yet again. I have officially lost all potential to play anything that requires internet to run as well, and if I try to load them, it can take up to fifteen minutes. This is a very hard transition for me, as the amount of data I currently have a month used to be under a day's worth for me. I still don't seem to get how they can say that we have a contract with them. We didn't sign ANYTHING. And a "verbal contract" over the phone doesn't seem to be a very strong argument for that.
Honorary Alumnus

For those times when you are having browser "timeouts" have you, as odd as it may seem, tried yo disable Web Acceleration and try the operation again ?

Actually, I usually have web acceleration off.

I tend to only turn it on when needed.

This isn't much of a problem however, it only seems to happen when I receive packets from the default subnet, in which I just retry in an hour and/or restart the modem. It doesn't happen often, so this is the least of my worries.

I still don't seem to trust your speed test. I don't see how one can be so accurate for every other provider, yet this company claims that it is inaccurate and to use THEIR speed test. I look at the results, and I don't believe that I can get a result of 7.5MB and 800KB and only get 1MB and 40KB fed into my devices, and that is directly connected to the modem bypassing the router. I will say again, the computers are optimized on a daily basis, and rarely online at the same time. Though I am happy with the increase in speed, it doesn't live up to the advertised speeds. In fact, I am only getting 20% of what Hughes advertises. Maybe YOUR speed test says otherwise, but if you were on my end and only seeing miniscule amounts coming in wirelessly and from the modem, you would probably be suspicious to. I also didn't see any mention of my speeds being changed to be faster. This makes it seem like you are throttling my speeds and feeding me slightly larger amounts when I report a problem. Though this may only be speculation, I will feel obligated to say this is true if my speeds drop below dial-up for a long period of time again.

Honorary Alumnus

If you normally run with Web Accel in the OFF state it seems kind of odd to complain of have slow speeds.
In terms of the speed test itself ....
What IS a speed test to you ? is it like a "bragging rights" thing along the line of "my car has a 189 mph speedometer ?

It is, to me, a diagnostic tool .... and nothing else. A comparative  diagnostic tool at that.
You only should be comparing your performance to like systems  and that comparison can only be done in a controlled environment, that environment consisting of those parts of the system that is part of and in the control of the Hughesnet satellite loop.

Hughes has, as a measuring tool, not idea of the performance and loading specs of a third party "speed test server" sitting in cornfield in the middle of Kansas ... none.
Now her is the "trick", you cannot compare a satellite Internet connection to any other ISP type.

WISP, nope, Cable, nope,DSL, nope. Simple fact is that your "connection", your "data stream" WILL use those ground based  parts of the "internet Backbone"  after having been processed and "handled" by the extra moving parts  associated with a satellite connection.

Hughes can only effect a change on the parts of the equipment they own. Your modem>TRIA>satellite>gateway and the same path in return.
The only way to measure that is within their own closed loop system.

If you are having issues, there is a protocol to be followed.
It MAY be something on the users end (QoS enabled in a router will kill a Hughes connection) on one end of the spectrum to an overloaded gateway server on the other end.

Right now, I'm guessing, there is a boatload of changes being made on the Hughes end as capacity is increased, tweaks are being done and the entire system being effected by ongoing bad weather across the entire US.

A satellite system just has more moving parts. it has to be measured by its owned "yardstick".