Speeds have tanked

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonbarnette
Sophomore

Speeds have tanked

For whatever reason once again my speeds have taken a horrible plummet out of no where. I'm not in FAP mode, and the speeds vary anywhere from 750kbps to 3mbps. Neither of which are acceptable when my speed is roughly suppose to be above 10mbps at all times. 

If i could please get someone to look at this, that'd be grand. 

Before anyone asks, i have tested with it plugged directly and through my router; both have similiar results. And i've done numerous tests throughout the days, all being slow. It's taken me nearly 1 1/2 hours to download a 500mb file. 

6 REPLIES 6
MarkJFine
Professor

Do you know of a specific IP that you're having trouble downloading from that you could run a traceroute to?

That might help to identify where along the path the slowdowns are occurring. I can tell you that anything with a hop near NorCal is going to be erratic because of all the fires.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Jonbarnette
Sophomore

For the record i dont want anyone to come out to my house, i simply want an answer on the boards as to what this issue might be. 

Hi, we haven't heard from you since your last response, so I'm going to close this thread. If you still need assistance, feel free to start a new thread and we'll continue to help! 

Have a good day.

-Brooke

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Jonbarnette

Do you have the link to your test results to show the speed issue?  

If you aren't running the tests under an account at testmy.net I would advise you to do so, as the reps/engineers may need to look at your test results, including in an ongoing fashion, to help.  

If they do need speed test results, the instructions for the tests are as follows....

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).  

Brooke
Alum

Hello Jonbarnette, thanks for posting!

I ran some diagnostics and I saw you have a router plugged into the modem and you still have your HughesNet Wi-Fi enabled. Please power off the Netgear and run tests while being directly connected to the HT2000W modem. Since it looks like there is no data remaining on your account, we'll add some free data for troubleshooting purposes.

Let me know what you get for results. 

-Brooke