cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds i can expect to get

Speeds i can expect to get

I have had many people tell me not to get Hughesnet, I want to give you a try, can you give me 30 days to try your service and if speeds are not acceptable I can cancel? 
25 REPLIES

Re: Speeds i can expect to get

If you like Netflix DO NOT GET HUGHESNET! The amount of data they give you does not last. I was tricked into thinking I technically had 60gigs of data... 10 + 50 bonus. It wasn't until my internet quit working today and I called to check on what was wrong (after already having been in a contract for $60+/mo of course) that it was explained to me that the 50 bonus gigs were only allowed to be used between the hours of 2am and 8am. When I expressed my frustration they offered me a discount and upgrade to 15 gigs anytime, but it is not enough for someone who enjoys to watch tv shows on netflix. I also happened to glance a little further into the fine print and it states that the bonus data could be slower than expected, AND that anytime data speeds are not guaranteed. . When I initially called to inquire and purchase I explained that I am not tech savy and had no clue how much data I would need but that I wanted to purchase a plan that would meet my needs for playing netflix and doing college homework. I was assured that this would be enough. Never once was it mentioned that I would need to become a night owl to not go over my limit.If I had any idea what this would be like I would have continued to shop around.
Associate Professor

Hi Evan,

Welcome to the community and thanks for asking! Do give us a try, and if you decide to change your mind, you may cancel within 30 days.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Hi Evan, I'd also like to add Hughes is advertised as an "upto" XX Mbps       What this means is Speeds are NOT guaranteed... For the most part my speeds are fine BUT it being summer break NOW means ALL those kiddos are home an using the net not just a few hrs a day but ALL hrs, In my personal opinion the speeds you will recieve for the next 3mo will probably NOT be the greatest. I know mine seem to have taken a HUGE dip Smiley Sad 

And as a side note I would also make sure you mention the 30 trial IF you call to to connect as they no longer offer it UNLESS you asked. So unless LIZ personally handles your order the Call center probably will not be aware that the 30day trial has  been granted for you..... Good luck to you with whatever you decide Smiley Happy
New Poster

Hi Osamisami,

We have created a post to better address your concerns.

- Chris

Please reference the new conversation here: Post for Osamisami: Service does not meet my needs, I was told it would

AMEN PASS THE GRAVY SIR.
Highlighted

Don't do it, they will wiggle around it and then $400 to get out

after 2week I am ready to go to the consumer fraud division in our state. I have had 5 wo #'s and 3 promises of a call back within 48 hours. No on speaks intelligent english. this system is dog slow. each time I am asked to do the exact same tests. .38MBPS down and .1MBPS up. have gone ethernet cable and eliminated the router. I am really feeling suckered on this deal. Even if I can I lose the install and have to pay to return equip.BTW the tech in mexico told me that I was to have no less than 60% of my purchased speed of 5MBPS or 3.0MBPS I am 1/10th of that

Also as a New user you will get a period of Unlimited Data Time, so you can get all your downloads finished and PCs updated, I thought I was flying high for the first Month, Then reality struck, These guys sure helped me get My updates and Data Usage in check, ask more questions before you decide. Let them Guide You great group here!