cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds i can expect to get

Re: Speeds i can expect to get

Hi Liz,

Can you direct me to the agreement in which your 30 day cancellation option is noted?  When I speak to the phone sales reps they say there is no guarantee. 

Evan
Assistant Professor

Evan, it is no longer in the online agreement but Liz put it in writing here to you. She is an official rep so the same as a contractual agreement.

Here is the Service Terms:  http://legal.hughesnet.com/ServiceTermsAndConditions-current.cfm

Evan unfortunately the call centers are OFTEN behind on the times, so to speak. Just as unfortunate is the FACT that Official Posts here tend to go POOF in the night right along with the customer drama!! If it were me I would Save a COPY (not link) for future proof of Liz's guarantee as well as Katie's even more OFFICIAL Post:  

katie, Official Rep

• 455 Posts
  • 165 Reply Likes

Gosh, lots of negative vibes in here this afternoon.  Maybe some explanation might help.  The 30 day trail period was originally dropped for 2 reasons - DirecTV and others dropped it and it may still be gone but more importantly, satellite service installs are expensive.  I don't need to tell you folks that. That antenna on the pole in yards is wasted effort for potentially casual buyers.  
You can still get the 30 day trial today if you ask for it.  Lastly, there's a reason why customers credit scores are not impacted by the use of our collections agency.   If you find one, send them here.

OK next thing up ..how about some ideas for new contests...we need some fun happening.  

Located within this thread : https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/are-the-sales-agents-required-to-tell-potential-n...
this posts of yours link is this: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/speeds-i-can-expect-to-get?topic-reply-list[setti...

Just in case you need either one while dealing with the call center. as far as legal contract it is located here : http://legal.hughesnet.com/Home.cfm  as Sgoshe already mentioned the 30day trial is longer visible in the current published contract, However it would be a good idea to review the contract BEFORE you agree as well as SAVE a copy (not link) for referrence as ANOTHER recent change is the "O' Brian Policy" which essentially states that hughes has the right to change the contract as the see fit WITHOUT notification BUT you as a customer are governed under the contract AS WRITTEN the day you suscribe. not O'Briens exact words as that post whent POOF but for reference you can read SOMEWHAT about it here : https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/hughesnet_subscriber_agreement_management_plans?t...

Again i wish you Good Luck as a Possible future customer Smiley Happy

As I mentioned before, if you have to ASK for a 30-day trial before it's granted, then that says volumes right there regarding the kind of product they are trying to sell. While in Katie's post its mentioned DirecTV dropped their 30-day trial...which is true....you also have to note that the difference between DirecTV & HN is apples & oranges! DirecTV doesn't deal in nor CAN they deal with the internet, their specialty is ONE-WAY satellite programming provider...yes, they have agreements with "other" companies that DO provide internet AND phone service, but they do not deal with that themselves. Basically, with DirecTV, you KNOW what your getting. It's just a matter of which package of channels and if you want to pay more for premiums, sports, etc. HN, you have NO CLUE how fast (or ......slooooowwww) the service is UNTIL your installation is done and you, as the customer get to try it out in real-time...because while DirecTV relies on YOUR location and weather for signal quality and reliability, your area AND the gateway where your internet is uploaded to the satellite....which you as the customer have NO SAY in.....controls the internet signal you get via satellite. Now, this would not necessarily be a BAD thing, IF....the reps on both the phone and on HughesNet's website were more CLEAR, PRECISE and UPFRONT about not only their limitations in providing satellite internet, but ALSO the conditions of usage such as data caps and tokens. I think the body of subscribers to HughesNet would be a lot happier and a lot more satisfied, if perhaps the MARKETING of their product was limited to those who reside in areas where "wired" or alternative means of acquiring internet access is impossible or very limited/cost prohibitive. Too many pipes in a limited pipeline makes for everybody getting thirsty. Tack on to this day & age where data and bandwidth is used more every day. It amazes me when you are made aware of the data caps and the cost of "tokens". 

...and therein lies my point. By failing to do that, you over-utilize the very product your trying to sell. Ultimately what is being sold is bandwidth & air time. By limiting to those who truly need it, you are able to satisfy the whole. As of now, the service is diluted to the point of too much demands on the same pipeline....which HN tries to limit with their system of caps & tokens...which again only continues to add to the problem. The system HAS a built-in latency as it is, that data has to travel from your request at your PC, up linked to satellite, down linked to the gateway, then answered and returns in reverse to your PC....of course its not going to be instantaneous....but the length of time and the multiple paths of travel just add to the frustration to people who are used to maybe their "work" or "friends" internet which is virtually instant in comparison. 
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Don't think the Board or stockholders would be too pleased if customers dropped by even 10-20% due to limiting service to those who truly need it and have absolutely no other options.
People complain here but in the end I don't believe HughesNet even has a beam loading policy. If they do, they have never said so and probably never will.

Well sgoshe, then the alternative would be increasing the number of gateways, broadcasting on multiple satellites in the same general area, adding compression, all of these alternatives would constitute a substantial investment over the existing technology...which seems to be virtually unchanged in the last 20 years. How can a business stay in business when their business is providing customers a service that has a built-in limitation! You either have to improve on that technology or multiply the number of stations to reduce the latency...if they would do this, the strain on the existing pipeline(s) would be exponentially reduced, resulting in better performance all the way around. Right now, judging solely from the comments I read here, is about 80-90% of the customer base dissatisfied with HughesNet's service. Either from a slow-down in access or contradictory advice from their technical support.
Assistant Professor

Thomas,
You can't reduce the latency with any equipment. It will always be at least 500ms due to limitation of radio waves, speed of light.
My latency usually runs between 550-600ms which is about as good as it gets.
They are launching another satellite next year, only time will tell if it results in better performance system wide. But yea they certainly will need to beef up the exiting ground infrastructure to support it as a bare minimum if not additional gateways.

Certain states have laws when it comes to service-contracts, whether its phones, cars, heating/cooling systems, the warranty implied when agreeing to a long-term contract while asking the consumer to commit to that term is regulated by states to protect consumers in the case a company(ies) fail to satisfy that customers expectations. Many of these terms are dependent on the length of the contract. For example, any service contract 2 years or less, the consumer has 3 business days to get out of that contract without penalty. A day longer than 2 years to 3 years, the consumer has 30-days. All this information is available on your states Attorney Generals web site. The terms I state apply to Pennsylvania and may be similar where you live!

Sgoshe, if the technology was there, larger packets, multiple & redundant pipelines. While you are CORRECT that the limitations of latency would not change, you CAN compensate for it....if you wanted to. And while 500ms doesn't sound like a lot, it shouldn't translate to 2-3 minutes per web page in real-time...and that's what people are facing. I've read that here...and I've experienced it myself. I was on the phone with a tech, asked me to load HughesNet's own web page, took ALMOST 5 mins to load. I was finally told conditions in Texas were to blame.......TEXAS?!? I live in Pa. how and why is my gateway located in Texas? Of course, later, i found out half the country's gateway is in the same location...in Texas?!? Really? The NEXT day, I had similar problems....annnd my gateway was moved to K.C. Mo. Didn't improve at all, still was having problems. Well I decided to cancel right then and there because had i waited another day, I would have been stuck with the cancellation fee.