Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speeds routinely ONLY 2-5 MBPS

McKraftywino
New Poster

Speeds routinely ONLY 2-5 MBPS

Hi Liz

it's me again... In my prior post

you responded "Let me escalate this to our corporate engineers for their input. I'll post back once I have an update for you."

and no response from you related to them testing my area/etc

i didn't see the follow up questions (fro some reason didn't email or got caught in spam...I will check )

you asked:

• ->This experience happens even while streaming from the native website (not their mobile apps)?
  • ->On multiple hardwired devices?
  • ->Regardless of time of day? Or do you experience issues more during a certain time (and which time)?
  • ->Just trying to rule out other possibilities; I ask because our corporate engineers will ask, I'm not trying to give you a hard time.

Here's my response:

• From my prior post the results show large fluctuations at all times (and these speeds are comparable what i also get from Speedtest so not sure why the requirement of testmy.net...but have done that and do it and it fluctuates)
  • https://testmy.net/quickstats/mckraftywino 

https://testmy.net/quickstats/mckraftywinowtf 

Never consistent >10-20 Mpbs speeds...

Extremely frustrating to try to stream some services.

Netflick is the best but frequently gives the 'circle of death' pause due to variations in the speed (i am guessing since works fine for a show or two and then dunring the next on (when binging) it goes into circle of death mode

The other sptreaming services have serious issues.

Do all streaming services have logic to handle the latency?

If not, HughesNet should publish a list of which can not handle satellite?!!

These issues Hughesnet should investigate and determine since why make it a 'per user' issue.

Also i suggest you post up expected speed by ZIP CODE so we can all see how OUR speeds compare to others in our zip code area.

Since you are keeping track of useage over time doesn't that provides an easy way to determine which zip code uses what bandwidth...why not publish it??

A very frustrating situation

7 REPLIES 7
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Speeds routinely ONLY 2-5 MBPS

"Also i suggest you post up expected speed by ZIP CODE so we can all see how OUR speeds compare to others in our zip code area.

Since you are keeping track of useage over time doesn't that provides an easy way to determine which zip code uses what bandwidth...why not publish it??"

It's likely considered proprietary information. 

Liz

Good morning McKraftywino,

Welcome back, thanks for replying. Speeds will fluctuate, that is normal, but despite this you should still be able to stream so that's what we're trying to troubleshoot.

For testing purposes, are you able to stream either Prime, Disney, or Apple+ from the native website (not their mobile apps)?

If you directly connect a computer/laptop to the modem and turn off wifi, then try to stream from a native site, do you notice any difference?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

McKraftywino
New Poster

The TV and the modem are not in same room

Prime we have maybe once got to stream

Hulu occasionally

Disney+, Apple Plus, HBO Max no way

i will try streaming on the computer next to the modem and will let you know

i do not measure a speed drop between the modem direct and wifi (currently using eero, have also tried the power line wifi)...

i put in an order to have a tech come install fiber cable between the satellite and the modem and the TV

but have not gotten any response (did this a few weeks ago on the online portal however no response)

the phone wastes time navigating menus and wait time (need to add a CALL BACK option, or have you?)

tis summertime so travelling a lot

one additional item Hughesnet should add:

settings for each streaming service

since one item which helped was also making sure NEVER to stream 4K, always go for the lowest (and instead of aking each of yoru clients figure that out, you should have a list of options for each streaming service)

and yea i know, the streaming services should have that info and warn 'do not stream 4K on sateliite'

but they don't

and you don't

so a lot of wasted time and effort finding where to set the options, etc etc etc

Thank you for the response

will try to run a test once back in town and at the weekend house

B

Liz

Thank you for letting me know and sharing your feedback. Looking forward to hearing back.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

McKraftywino
New Poster

sorry goign to be another week before can run any tests

as i said...summer time and travelling and only at the location on weekends and currently out of town for another week so not till weekend of 11th

Liz

OK I appreciate the heads up! Enjoy your trip!

-Liz

Liz

Good morning McKraftywino,

It's been almost 3 weeks since the 11th so I'm closing this thread. If you still have concerns, feel free to start a new one.

-Liz