Speedtest.net - A Heads Up...

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Speedtest.net - A Heads Up...

I had an issue with Glasswire, so I had to uninstall and cleanly reinstall.  Wanting to find out how much data a test at speedtest.net used, I went to their page, cleared my data in Glasswire, and ran the test.  The following was the result, and it shows that a single test used 76MB.  ONE TEST!  If only the problem with testmy.net was no longer a problem.  😞                                                                                                                                                                              

Capture.JPG

18 REPLIES 18
GW
Advanced Tutor

You're right Gabe. I noticed that a while back with my phone which has the speedtest app. The speedtest.net auto adjusts file size according to quality of connection.

To provide supporting info, I just ran a few tests. Testing 4G LTE at 102 dBm netted 12.96 down/ 4.3 up Mbps while using 22.5 MB. At 112 dBm getting 2.11 & 0.58 Mbps, only 4.6 MB was used. Switching to wifi on the satellite gave me 30.4 and  6.07 Mbps while consuming 40.3 MB. At 40+ Mbps, 70+ MB per test sounds just about right.

At the primetime G4 speed I used to get and the speeds all the users of badly broken G5 are getting now, it would probably consume about 100 KB Smiley Very Happy

Amanda

Hey Gabe

I was testing out speedtest.net and probably flew through 3GB yesterday on our Gen5 😞 I did figure out that when testing 2 different devices I was getting drastically different speeds. Upon checking the server, the devices were picking 2 different servers and when placed on the same ones, produced parallel results. Just something to look out for.

Anyway, our engineers have been testing out 'testmy.net' lately and this morning mentioned that it was looking steady, at least on the Jupiter 2 (E19) units they have set up. I haven't had a chance to play around with it this morning (and I'm pretty sure we're out of data...) but maybe you can give it a go and see if it is still wonky?

~Amanda

@GabeU@Amanda

Noticed on Tuesday that TestMy was more reliable wrt speed consistency as well as latency. Turns out they had been reporting latency in the 200s for quite some time.

Now it's much closer to the 600s, which is probably where it should be.

Edit: Sorry. Wednesday... easy to lose track. Anyway, just checked everything against hnsspeedtest and the Terminal/Gateway Connectivity Test. TestMy and Hughes very similar wrt Down/Up/Ping now.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

I noticed the latency thing too.  Now it makes more sense.

@MarkJFine wrote:

@GabeU@Amanda

Noticed on Tuesday that TestMy was more reliable wrt speed consistency as well as latency. Turns out they had been reporting latency in the 200s for quite some time.

Now it's much closer to the 600s, which is probably where it should be.

Edit: Sorry. Wednesday... easy to lose track. Anyway, just checked everything against hnsspeedtest and the Terminal/Gateway Connectivity Test. TestMy and Hughes very similar wrt Down/Up/Ping now.

GabeU

@Amanda

@MarkJFine

I, too, noticed the other day that TMN seemed to be working properly and giving more accurate results than it recently had been.  No more of that "choking" I was seeing.  Hopefully it lasts.  

Edit:  Just tried it again a couple of times and it worked the way it should.   I'll try it a few times over the weekend, as well.  

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I don't know what to believe other than throughput meter and speedtest.net is reporting higher speed. My throughput meter verifies the higher speed. Does seem for me at least on Gen 4 that TMN reports lower than what is actually available speed wise.

Back to back test results:

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

The thing that bears watching is the amount of data Speedtest uses, as @GabeU noted.

I'd be less tempted to hit that button more than once a day if I knew it was using 3x the data TestMy was.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@MarkJFine wrote:

The thing that bears watching is the amount of data Speedtest uses, as @GabeU noted.

I'd be less tempted to hit that button more than once a day if I knew it was using 3x the data TestMy was.

Not really the point for me. Trying to detrmine the speed available is what I try to detrmine by speed tests. The amount used is really not a factor. Maybe I'm confused once more about what we're talking about.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Once more, Speedtest.net is reporting higher speed along with my throughput meter. TMN is reporting lower. I thought we were talking about which is more accurate. At least for me on Gen 4, Speedtest.net seems to be reporting higher verified speed.

Capture1.PNGCapture.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture2.PNG

GabeU

@BirdDog

I think one of the main differences between Speedtest and Testmy is that Speedtest gives a result of what your speed was at the end of the test, whereas TMN gives a result as an average of the whole test.  So, when taking this difference into consideration, they both appear to be accurate when compared to Networx, or at least with how they're giving the results.    

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@GabeU wrote:

@BirdDog

I think one of the main differences between Speedtest and Testmy is that Speedtest gives a result of what your speed was at the end of the test, whereas TMN gives a result as an average of the whole test.  So, when taking this difference into consideration, they both appear to be accurate when compared to Networx, or at least with how they're giving the results.    

I guess I'm an old stupid geezer because I get back to the throughput meter. One shows a much higher actual throughput (speed) while the other shows much lower, forget the actual result reported. I'm out of the discussion because it seems I don't know what the heck I'm talking about. Smiley Tongue

PS: Don't look at the speed on the bottom of throughput meter, it drops as soon as the speed does after the test. Look at the peak of the graph.

PPS: I can also verify by downloading a file from a fast server. It is the higher Speedtest result, not the TMN result.

GabeU

@BirdDog

Nah, I wouldn't say that.  

If you look at TMN result and the average of the Networx result, they pretty much match.  If the Networx graph could be stretched out further to show the result over a wider area, you'd probably see that the speed it showed right at the end of the Speedtest test matches the result Speedtest itself gave. 

And, isn't this funny?  And no, I didn't edit them to give the exact same result.  LOL. 

At least it looks like TMN is working properly again, so that's good.  🙂 

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG 

maratsade

I'd rather have the average, myself. 

Also, I have noticed that speedtest (I use the app -- the site doesn't work for me) is more accurate the higher the speeds.  When my system is going at 47 Mbps, speedtest matches that. When my system is going at 4 Mbps, speedtest gives me ridiculously high speeds.

@GabeU wrote:

@BirdDog

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

Also, I have noticed that speedtest (I use the app -- the site doesn't work for me) is more accurate the higher the speeds.  When my system is going at 47 Mbps, speedtest matches that. When my system is going at 4 Mbps, speedtest gives me ridiculously high speeds. 

I had to dump that app.  No matter the time of day it would give me really screwed up results, like nearly 20Mbps upload speeds.  Most of the time I can use the site, but the upload speeds are still wrong, though too low, in this instance.  

For uploads I've still been using testmy, as it is still giving me accurate results with that.  

With that said, testmy seems to be working correctly over the last few days even with the download tests.  

Yeah, I was wondering about that.  I  think I'll stick with testmy.  It's been reliable for years.  However, I did do a test on speedtest last night and then did one on testmy and they were the same.  But if speedtest uses 3x the data, I'm staying with testmy.  Also, speedtest doesn't always connect and when it does, it still takes longer.

Sunday afternoon @ 3:45...download 43.4Mbps 🙂  Oh all is right with my world again!  Lets pray it stays that way 🙂  Between HN opening up more (whatevers) and Google Play Services fixing the packet flooding issue, my six Google Homes and all my smart devices are doing the happy dance with me (g)

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@monicakm wrote:

@Sunday afternoon @ 3:45...download 43.4Mbps 🙂  Oh all is right with my world again!  Lets pray it stays that way 🙂  Between HN opening up more (whatevers) and Google Play Services fixing the packet flooding issue, my six Google Homes and all my smart devices are doing the happy dance with me (g)

Glad to hear. Good luck though long term with that many devices connected at once on satellite even with peak speed available. Maybe the majority of devices are not accessing the Internet very much.

Only point I'm trying to make is satellite isn't equipped very well for numerous devices all trying to access the Internet at the same time. Personally, 2-3 devices max out my connection with 20-25 Mbps speed. During peak time slowdowns then 1 device is max if trying to stream video or download a large file.

Again, glad to see it is working for you now.

Hey BirdDog, no, these devices aren't all trying to access the internet all at once.  Well, let me rephrase that.  All the Google Homes (six plus two Echo Dots) are mostly idle unless I ask them a question, give a command or streaming music.  The five smart outlets, one smart bulb and wifi thermostat are using very little data unless there is a an update.  Eveything is working just peachy now 🙂  Part, but not all, of the problem with the smart devices was a bug in Google Play Services, on Android, and casting devices (Chromecast and Google Home).  Something to do with sleeping and packet flooding when the device woke up.  It was choking some routers and causing everything from routers having to be rebooted several times a day to glitches a-plenty!  The fix is in beta but can be pushed if you're signed up for Google beta.  I did sign up and could notice a difference immediately!  I think those with Chromecast devices were affected worse.  But being a satellite user, Chromecast is off limits since it uses 10-12MB/HOUR if it's being used or not...tv on or off!