cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status Meter Issue

Freshman

Status Meter Issue

I have been diligently tracking the status meter at the end of every day since Feb. 1st.  In the beginning of the month, I went from 99% of data remaining to 91% remaining until 2/14.  Since then, the bottom has dropped out of my data usage, with today I am currently at 39% remaining after starting the day with 47% remaining. 

So, I used the graph tool to see how much data is used per day and low and behold, I am using less per day for the past few days than I was using at the beginning of the month, but the meter is telling me I am using up to 10% per day of my data.  In the beginning of the month I was using more data per day, but the meter was telling me I was only using 1% or 2% per day. 

No wonder people are aggravated, including me. Here I thought I had a handle on data usage, but the meter is horrendously inaccurate.  Every month the same thing happens.  the meter is telling me I have lots of data until the middle of the month, and then the bottom falls out and I eventually am over the data limit in the last week. 

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Status Meter Issue

I unplugged my modem for a few nites when I went to bed and still managed to end up using data somehow. check your data, unplug modem when you aren't using it and soon as you plug it back in check data. also I know you probly already heard this but windows update,antivirus updates,ect  do use data as well as if you have a virus,ect. I didn't hardly touch my data each month I have never been in fap mode and last month started seeing data depelete faster than normal. try a scan with bitdefender online virus scan and maybe check out ccleaner and other programs priform has. glary utilities is another good one to use.

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

http://www.glarysoft.com/

Freshman

The actual data being used per day is quite low according to the graph, but the status meter is telling me I am using 8, 9 or even 10% per day since the middle of the month. 

I'm not sure did you download the one from there site? I always keep a tab open with system control center up and just refresh that every so often. I do know they claimed I was downloading 2 nites in a row and the modem was unplugged duering those times.. what operating system you using or is it the same on all devices?
Freshman

Yes, it is the Hughes Net status meter that I am using. 

I do the same as Jared.  I use Chrome and keep an open tab on the support center.  When I first got HN I made the mistake of leaving my modem on all but when I saw the lights dancing on my modem and my computer was off I started unplugging my modem.  Since I only use my daytime data to DL podcast show I turn it back on at 1:30 am as not to eat up 2 am- 8 am data.

As for the dl status meter get rid of it.  It eats up a lot.  Use the one on Support Center site (my.hughesnet.com).  Although if you have other options for isp's then I suggest you look to them if you use the internet a lot.  I know I'll be going else where once my contract is up.
Freshman

So, last night after turning off my computer, I noticed the dancing lights on the modem.  I then turned off every wireless device in the house ..... cell phone, Kindle Fire tablet, etc.  I do not have a smart TV or any other smart device. The lights were still dancing even after everything, and I mean everything that uses the internet was turned off.  I therefore unplugged the modem completely.

This am I turned on the computer after plugging in the modem at 6:30 am.  When the time switched to 8 am, low and behold I was down 2% according to the status meter from when it was unplugged last night. (from 36% remaining to 34% remaining)

What's up with that?    I do not live close enough to anybody who could plug into my modem somehow and pirate the signal.  I can't even see the nearest neighbor 1/4 of a mile away.  Something is very fishy here. 

Hmmm, that does sound fishy.  I know my status meter doesn't like to always update.  So maybe yours is doing the same thing or maybe your antivirus or some other program is constantly upgrading.

If it's nothing on your end then you should contact HN.  You might have a modem that's ghosting.

Good morning Robert,

Thanks for posting, we want to help address your concerns. We haven't had other recent reports about this, but we would like to get more information about what you're experiencing.

When you turned on the computer this morning, was this directly connected to the modem? 

What was the computer used for between 6:30 AM and 8 AM? 

Two percent of your plan's Anytime Bytes is 200 MB, and there could be a number of ways that data could have been used in the hour and a half that elapsed; we cannot determine what is using your data when you connect to the internet. However, there are third party programs available to help you monitor how much data your computer's processes and programs use. I've seen our community regulars recommend Netguard or Networx to monitor your computer's data usage. 

If you are able to determine exactly how much your data your computer used within a set time period, and you have screenshots of your Status Meter at the start and end of this time period, we can then determine whether there is a significant discrepancy. 

Please keep in mind that malware can use data without your knowledge, so if you haven't done so recently, I'd recommend doing a malware scan and clean up.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Freshman

Liz, I was not missing the bonus bytes, but at 8 am I was missing 2% of the anytime bytes.  The main point I was trying to make is that I had dancing lights on the modem after everything, and I mean everything in my house that connects to the internet was turned completely off. 

The other point I was trying to make is that the status meter is woefully inaccurate.  I am using less bytes per day, but the meter is taking away a larger percentage of my byes available than in the beginning of the month when I used more bytes per day.  The graph on the status meter says one thing and it doesn't match what the meter says.

I do not know how to take screen shots ( and it seems the consensus on this board is that a screen shot doesn't do any good in determining problems from where we sit), but in my handwritten notes, from one night of turning off to turning back on in the am, everything was fine until after the middle of the month and then things went awry.

I use VIPRE for security and have never had an issue with malware.  My latest scan was yesterday. 

Again we never had these problems under the old system and now that we upgraded to the Gen4 system, we have had nothing but problems since.  I am really not concerned with the speed thing as we don't stream videos/movies.  We just do plain old internet surfing.