cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status Monitor is a joke!

Status Monitor is a joke!

"The Status Meter monitors your Data Allowance so you will always know where you stand, with how much data you are using.

The Status Meter is a small application that sits in your tool tray. We recommend that you don't use the Internet without it."

Yet, it is completely inaccurate. I contacted customer service and spoke with a very rude customer service lady who would not listen to me and interrupted me continuously when I was explaining my problem. I run a small consulting business. If I treated my customers the way I am treated by Hughesnet, I would not have a business.

I have never seen a "technology" company have such a horrible website and monitoring application. It should not be necessary for me to log into the modem to be able to tell how much data I have used. That is what the Status Monitor is supposed to be for.

I have spent hours with tech support - unsuccessfully - to attempt to resolve problems. I will be searching for other options just as soon as my contract is up. I thought upgrading to the best business plan would solve my problems. Apparently, it has just caused more problems.

Does anyone from Hughesnet ever read any of these posts, and, if so, do they just not care?

15 REPLIES 15
Associate Professor

Re: Status Monitor is a joke!

The status meter connects directly to your modem to pull the information.  It is accurate, but, with all data monitoring programs for an ISP, there is a small delay as it's only updated every few minutes.

Well, it has had nearly a month to update and it hasn't yet. I upgraded my plan on September 17th. What you are saying directly contradicts what I was told by the customer "service" lady. She said not to use it because it is not reliable and accurate. You all need to get your stories straight.
Assistant Professor

The rounding is a bit wacky so it can be off by 1% and only reads to the nearest 100 MB until dropping below 1 GB of allowance is left but is still good for overall monitoring. The most accurate meter is at http://my.hughesnet.com/. It reads right down to the MB.

I'm glad to have all three and they work fine for me.
Assistant Professor

We are customers too and the meters are working in my case.

Hi Patricia,

Very sorry about this experience with the status meter & our support. If you have a case number for that incident where you were interrupted, please post it here. In the meantime, I'm curious how the status meter seems so inaccurate to you and what you mean "has had nearly a month to update". Do you think you could break down the situation for us a little?

Thanks
Amanda
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Patricia,

There are three ways in which to track your usage:

#1: The Modems internal SCC (System Control Center)

The SCC can be accessed at anytime by entering 192.168.0.1 into your browser:

Its "limitation" is that it only "resolves" to .1 GB increments so is rather to course a tool to track "detailed fine usage"

#2 is the Download Status Meter and it too is somewhat "course" in its resolution and is subject to a little delay:

#3: The "at a glance" meter found by logging into your "dashboard":

http://my.hughesnet.com/

This is the one that offers the most detailed information right down to the single MB level.

Junior

I use only the system control center which is easily accessible from my browser. If you keep it in favorites or bookmark it, whichever you prefer, it is immediately available. If you are watching your data allowance closer than that perhaps you might need to increase your monthly data plan. You would not run your car without having adequate fuel so why run your data allowance so that you have to watch it so closely
Honorary Alumnus

A user may wish to more accurately pin-point data very closely if they suspect they have a data leak and are attempting to track it down.

Its more a matter of using the right tool for the job.

Junior

I have the advantage of looking at my activity monitor and console for suspected data leaks however, the average user is unaware of the services running in the background. I am new to the forum but as I look at the postings it seems that most of these "leaks" are settings the user has either done or ignored to do. Any significant leak would show in a period of hours or especially overnight and easily be noticed in the system control center.