cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status meter and "view usage" disagree

Status meter and "view usage" disagree

Like other people, I have inconsistent data from Hughesnet.  I am a spaceway customer, so my experience may be irrelevant to many.  However, I have evidence both from the "view usage" page at Hughesnet and from a traffic monitoring program on my laptop (glasswire), that my usage today has been in the vicinity of 80 mb download so far.  The status meter shows 11 Mb.  This is the OTHER direction from what everyone else is posting.  I submit it as an indication that the Hughesnet software is not very dependable.  Since fap is presumably based on the download meter reading, maybe this is a good thing.  However, I think it is clear that usage monitoring is not very reliable.  Only a problem if someone gets punished....
5 REPLIES 5
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Status meter and "view usage" disagree

Remember too that uploads also count against your allowance if on a monthly refill plan.
There times when Hughes will use compression if possible so that will work to your favor.
Be sure to set Glassware to exclude local LAN traffic as that is "internal" to your KAN.

My point, of course, is that the download meter is reading much LOWER than the traffic documented on the "view usage" page.  I know I have at the moment, downloaded over 114MB on one laptop alone yet am being tagged with 30 MB by the status meter (about 90 on the View Usage page, running about an hour and a half behind).  So there is substantial inconsistency, though not always.

Hi girod1,

Thanks for posting, you are correct that we rely on what your Status Meter reports, as it does not count any overhead bytes. However, if you do find that the Status Meter is reporting way more than what you believe you're actually using, and you're ending up in FAP, let us know, we can help get to the bottom of that.

-Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

The status meter counts any and all data not your personal usage
Associate Professor

No, it counts what it's told to count, they do ignore a good bit of overhead data.  Also, nice to see that you are necroing old topics due to frustration.