cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status meter enhancement - add color changes to system tray

Highlighted

Status meter enhancement - add color changes to system tray

I'm using the 6.2.0 version of the HughesNet Status Meter. One thing that's just a little annoying is that the color of the system tray icon for the meter doesn't change - at least on mine, it doesn't. I have to open up the full status meter page to actually see if I'm over the projected schedule for monthly bandwidth. It would be nice to be able to simply glance down at it and know if we're exceeding our "daily recommended allowance" {grin}. 
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Status meter enhancement - add color changes to system tray

The circle tray icon doesn't change if over recommended daily use, as does the bottom horizontal bar graph when the Status Meter is opened. The circle tray icon does change to red if actually over monthly allowance. Can hover over the tray icon and it will read monthly percentage remaining. Only takes a click on the tray icon to get the full display.

Would be very difficult to do what you're suggesting with a tray icon. And hard to even see with such a small icon. Maybe change the color to amber or yellow I suppose, then that would maybe make the user open the meter to see what is going on.

Shoot, many don't even look at it until out of allowance then wonder what the heck happened.
Highlighted

That would a pretty neat feature, but I wonder how we'd pack that into a sys tray icon. Also, real time dynamic icons can actually affect your computer's performance (I turn off my anti-virus one because it was 1. driving me nuts and 2. driving up the overall programs mem usage up). 

Another option would be a left-click, right-click option where right click would let you open the full meter program and left click opened only a small window with minor details.

I will bring this concern and idea up to the development team and see what they say! Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks
Michelle
Highlighted

The small window would be easy to do.  While I don't use the thing I do know a lot of folks do but a hover over window would be used more.  Just park the cursor over the icon and it display total and daily usage and remaining in a small window. 
Highlighted

Status Meter is not working. I can park over the icon in the system tray and nothing happens. I have un-installed and reinstalled the meter a couple of times and get the same results - NOTHING! Right click  - left click same results. 

I did have a meter till about 4 weeks ago. What happened? Feeling a little frustrated right now.
Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Frank,

I'd recommend, if you can, taking a look at what updates or installations occurred around the same time that your status meter started going buggy.  If it worked fine all along and then just all of a sudden went by the wayside, it may be something totally unrelated to the meter itself that is giving it problems, and uninstalling/reinstalling with no luck may suggest this.  It's also possible that if something got corrupted with the status meter's files, they weren't completely uninstalled when you uninstalled and reinstalled the meter.  Perhaps malware?  Have you scanned with Malwarebytes and CCleaner?   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

There is this possible fix also. I would only delete entries that have "HughesNet Status Meter" in them:  https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/status-meter-not-working?topic-reply-list%5Bsetti...
Highlighted

Agree with both GabeU and BirdDog. The second fix has had a lot of success and we even had to use it here once. If it doesn't work, Frank, I recommend creating a new post so we can directly assist you.

Thanks
Amanda