Hughesnet Community

Status meter

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sally Thomas

Status meter

Totally frustrated and DISGUSTED with the "new" status meter!!!!! Two days ago we had one computer's operating system become dysfunctional and need to reformat and re-install/download updates and all the paraphanalia that is required to get back up and running. Well, I had about 57% of my monthly allowance of 10G of bandwidth left. I knew I would have to purchase tokens at some point as downloads of Windows 8 and 8.1 updates alone would eat up what I had left, let alone re-download of anti-virus and other necessary programs. So, I went to my "bank" and saw that I had one free token (yes, I do earn one each month), plus I purchased a couple of token to make sure they would be available when the meter hits zero and turns red. Well, from there on I found further proof that this is how Hughesnet makes money out of our "ignorance" (sound like how the government got Obamacare through, right?) by making step of the process a hidden and confusing process. When purchasing a token, a VERY BRIEF/FLASH message pops up and tells you "bandwidth has been added" and then ZAP, the message is gone. If you are not watching closely, you lose. You have no clue how much was added and no verification at all. So, in order to make sure download capacity is available to continue downloading the important programs needed, you purchase another...just to be sure....but then try and find out how much bandwidth is actually still available as you proceed....forget it. There are numerous hoops you have to jump through and hope you can find the one tiny access to that information, and half the time it does not work.  I look at my taskbar and all I get is the nasty RED CIRCLE and from there I have to spend time trying to access information that is IMPORTANT and USED TO BE READILY AVAILABLE on the "old" meter.  I am SICK of companies that think they are clever by "upgrading" or giving us "NEW AND IMPROVED" meters, etc.  Hughesnet is doing us a HUGE INJUSTICE by dumpint this nasty meter on us in order to SELL TOKENS due to information being hidden or impossible to locate.  Any chance a Hughesnet rep (official one) that can explain this or actually effect a change in this creepy way of taking advantage of us?
64 REPLIES 64
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

For some reason only a small portion of my reply posted.

However, I think the point has become rather moot.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sally, I guess we may be talking past each other because as long as there are bytes in the "Token Bytes Available" then they will apply automatically when Anytime bytes reach zero. Really no need for an apply automatically check box. You just put them in the bucket (use) ahead of time and they are there. Guess I'm having a hard time seeing the difficulty with that.
Is a bummer about your restart loop, that is not fun.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I also think she may be referring to the Pre-Token Bucket era.

Just look at the confusion over having three data sources

Sally Thomas

It would have been helpful if Hughesnet had bothered to provide us with information AHEAD OF TIME just what the new status meter would do and how do use it. I was unaware/uninformed about the method the new status meter would use to activate available tokens. This was also a complaint by others on the forum if you recall. Now that I know that, it's one less worry.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, you definitely aren't the only one who's been confused by the new way things work. They did not educate people very well, really not at all unless they come here for answers.
Sally Thomas

Yes, logging in to the hughesnet site would be another method of trying to obtain information (that was readily all in one spot with old meter), however more often than not the hughesnet website does not work....cannot log in, etc.  Tried to log in the other day to get into "billing" and was unable to do so all day. Finally had to phone and talk to a real person just to accomplish what should have been easily done by logging into my account. So I prefer to avoid further frustration by avoiding myhughesnet.com as much as possible.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

No I refuse to grow up, lol what your overlooking is the fact that the status meter if a free tool offered by hughes net if you dont like it the simply dont use it, you can access the same info through the modem by typing 192.168.0.1 into your browser and save the link then its a 1 click process from your browser window.  but I will never grow up, lol 
Sally Thomas

Can't say I blame you for not wanting to "grow up"...it's a nasty world out there sometimes. As for typing the address into the browser, I till try that route as opposed to trying to log into Hughesnet website which most of the time is not functional...something I don't need to deal with while dealing with computer issues.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
MaryEllen McMan

We've had HughesNet for 2 years now, and we're ready to unload it...Verizon was a ripoff, but these people are much MUCH worse!
MaryEllen McMan

Agree! And, when we get charged almost $200/month when "viruses" invade our favorite websites/steal our time on the net (which hasn't changed during the past 2 years) and forces us to "buy more tokens" --- I say there is collusion going on here, especially when the so-called 'security' services don't pick up on what is really going on here.
MaryEllen McMan

Hubby had the same problem...these "people" are insufferable, arrogant, and siphoning our bank accounts with their scamming us!
MaryEllen McMan

Charles, We have been forced to "upgrade" to 20 from 10, every month, but the so-called status meter never registers the tokens we've had to purchase! There has been NO differences in our time on the internet nor what sites we visit, only that we are paying 2X what we paid for during the 1st 18 months (and we were happy then) with HN -- Forgive me if I'm VENTING but  WE are MAD consumers!!!!!
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I know what you mean, I had to do the full system restore about 6 months ago plus all the stinking updates and then having to reload all the programs that on my system, my total was a little over 8GB thats a hit no one should ever have to endure, after that happened I broke down and bought an external 2 TB hard drive on clearance at walmart and made a full image backup of my hard drive in my laptop so now when I crash and burn I can restore everything back just like it is now in a half a hour and no data hit but I can understand your frustration and hope you never have to do it again.
Sally Thomas

The weird thing was that my son turned on his laptop (nothing showing up as a problem upon shutdown the day before) a screen came up saying "preparing windows  auto-repair...." and stayed in a constant loop that would not proceed or actually "repair" whatever it thought needed repair. He had me searching on the web to try to find a solution to get out of the loop and all suggestions started with getting into command prompt...well, Windows 8 was not having any of that nonsense, so long story short....it ended up having to do a total system restore, then upgrade to 8.1 which is a vast improvement. But. many hours and many MB/GB later, all is well. The files on the external drive are still intact, but everything else is gone....which is not a big deal. Just the time involved and bandwidth eaten up and purchased.  I still have 1.3G left from what I purchased and will lose it all when refill time comes around in 4 hours. That sucks. Should be a way to bank that purchase and be able to access it next time a disaster hits.  Oh well.....
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sally, if you are talking 1.3GB in your token bytes available bucket, it carries over. Don't lose any tokens you haven't used yet either.
Sally Thomas

Really? Do you mean to say that the 1.3GB still left after having to purchase tokens yesterday will not just go away when renewal of my bandwidth comes at midnight tonight? How do I check that to see if it's still available? I am not talking about tokens still available, I am talking about bandwidth added by purchasing tokens.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yes, the Token Bytes Availabe at the bottom of all the meters will remain. Easy to verify, look what you have just before refill then what you have right after, or the next morning. No sense staying up till midnight if you don't need to.  🙂
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Sally sgoshe is correct your token bytes roll over and unless they are used the will remain forever, I have had the same ones in my meter for almost 8 months and use a few every month or two
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I think her confusion may be that additional bandwidth (tokens) that you use is what goes into the Token Bytes Available, it never goes towards refilling or adding allowance to the ring meters. The ring meter(s) will stay red if you have used all your regular allowance until the next refill.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Sally you mentioned that you do have an external hard drive, now that your back up and running you might look at installing a software to do a full image backup of your hard drive so if it happens again you will be able to simply boot with a DVD or flash drive containing the backup software and plug the external drive and it will put everything including all programs emails everything exactly like it was when last backed up, I use the free version of AOMEI Backupper Pro, its bailed me out 2 times lately