Hughesnet Community

Status meter

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sally Thomas

Status meter

Totally frustrated and DISGUSTED with the "new" status meter!!!!! Two days ago we had one computer's operating system become dysfunctional and need to reformat and re-install/download updates and all the paraphanalia that is required to get back up and running. Well, I had about 57% of my monthly allowance of 10G of bandwidth left. I knew I would have to purchase tokens at some point as downloads of Windows 8 and 8.1 updates alone would eat up what I had left, let alone re-download of anti-virus and other necessary programs. So, I went to my "bank" and saw that I had one free token (yes, I do earn one each month), plus I purchased a couple of token to make sure they would be available when the meter hits zero and turns red. Well, from there on I found further proof that this is how Hughesnet makes money out of our "ignorance" (sound like how the government got Obamacare through, right?) by making step of the process a hidden and confusing process. When purchasing a token, a VERY BRIEF/FLASH message pops up and tells you "bandwidth has been added" and then ZAP, the message is gone. If you are not watching closely, you lose. You have no clue how much was added and no verification at all. So, in order to make sure download capacity is available to continue downloading the important programs needed, you purchase another...just to be sure....but then try and find out how much bandwidth is actually still available as you proceed....forget it. There are numerous hoops you have to jump through and hope you can find the one tiny access to that information, and half the time it does not work.  I look at my taskbar and all I get is the nasty RED CIRCLE and from there I have to spend time trying to access information that is IMPORTANT and USED TO BE READILY AVAILABLE on the "old" meter.  I am SICK of companies that think they are clever by "upgrading" or giving us "NEW AND IMPROVED" meters, etc.  Hughesnet is doing us a HUGE INJUSTICE by dumpint this nasty meter on us in order to SELL TOKENS due to information being hidden or impossible to locate.  Any chance a Hughesnet rep (official one) that can explain this or actually effect a change in this creepy way of taking advantage of us?
64 REPLIES 64
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I make regular image backups too Charles. Best way to keep from losing anything up to the point of last image including all Windows updates.
As you say, 1TB USB hard drive isn't very expensive anymore especially when considering the headaches of losing files and Windows settings/updates.
Macrium Reflect (free) is also great for imaging.  🙂
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I agree that a sound backup strategy is essential. The problem with using an external hard drive however is the user has to remember to hook up the drive at some kind of interval ... something easily put off.

All desktop computers and many laptops have room for a second internal hard drive.
Having the drive always connected allows the backup process to be automated,
Example: My Win7 Toshiba laptop has two internal drives, the main "C" drive with the operating system and installed programs and a second "D: drive. Windows is set to do "incremental" file backups every 4 hours and to make a "system image" once per month. The currant image and one month back are retained so as to never overwrite a "problem" image.
If needed a complete up to the moment system image is the sum of the last system image + the current "incremental files".
Once set up, it requires no attention or intervention by the user. If  problem occurs the Windows backup function alerts the user.

(and I do keep backups-to-the-backups on external hard drives)
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I also have a External HD connected to my router and do regular backups to it also automated, 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Charles,
If you want to see a mess, My "main desktop computer" has 10 internal hard drives. Five of them have different operating systems on them, each of the OS drives has a "backup drive" assigned to it because the OS drives are so radically different ranging from Windows 98SE thru Win7 Ultimate with an occasional Linux Distro inserted into a trayless SATA drawer slot just for variety. 🙂

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

wow bet you electric meter spins like a saw blade, lol
Sally Thomas

You already told us that. Thank you. That is YOUR opinion and being America, you are still allowed to express that....I think. I better check the news..LOL
Sally Thomas

You guys were right! (about the leftover token bandwidth remaining). I checked this morning and their are 1.3GB listed as token bytes available, and my refill took place at midnight. That is a huge relief to me, because I felt cheated when I falsely believed the purchased bandwidth would fade off into the sunset at midnight.  Also, it's nice to bet that "free" token each month, so it's another safety cushion. I seldom have to use my entire monthly bandwidth allowance as we know how to budget it and know that even Gen4 won't make my son's bike go faster or allow us to watch movies and download much of anything. But, it's pretty stressful when computers need to be restored/set-up and all that entails and it's perhaps only a few days worth of bandwidth left to ration. Anyway, all is back to "normal" for now.....thanks for all of the input....even the persnickity opinionated ones....LOL
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Glad we could help Sally. The problem with these boards is it is hard to get a feel for someones personality and intent from typed words. Misunderstandings often occur.

I know I like to jab at people sometimes but I guess that is partially my military background. We were always taking pokes at each other.

Anyway, again happy you're back to normal and have a better understanding of the meters and tokens.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Sally, there is a "trick" however on the "free" tokens.
When a Token is "issued" it is deposited here:

The "trick" is, as I recall, you can only allow 6 Free tokens to build up here.
If allowed, the 7th and more will just spill over and be lost.

A Max of six can reside in the original deposit location.

Therefor they need to be "used", in this sense, it is really a "move".

When a Token is "used" it is "moved" or added if your prefer, to your "Token Bytes Available" data bucket.

You have three sources of data:

#1: Anytime Bytes (8am to 2am)
#2: Bonus Bytes (2am to 8am)
#3: Token Bytes Available (used when Anytime Bytes are depleted)

You can see this in the "At A Glance" Meter:

It can be found in the Download Status Meter:

It can be found in the SCC:

The only way to lose "Token Data" after it has be "used" (read moved) is to use it to automatically avoid FAP.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Charles,
The new Download Status Meter has a different "view" when accessing Tokens than in past versions.
In the past you had a view like this:

In it you could see the number of remaining Tokens, you could see that number drop as transactions were performed.

The new meter just shows the "category", the little "notifier" flashes very quickly on the screen then is gone.

That is why I prefer using the "at a glance" meter that still shows the change in numbers and the "transaction notifier" persists until clicked on (as of this past month)
Scott Howell

In the interim, consider using this free Android widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tgifriday.dataleft
jabjpzkbb

When I buy tokens, it does not show up in token bytes available.  It doesn't show up any where.  I checked my invoice and it would appear that the two tokens I attempted to purchase didn't show up there either.  I went to the site the first person suggested, and all it said was that my service plan doesn't support release tokens, but I'm not even sure if that's the same thing.
jabjpzkbb

well, I bought them through the website instead of the meter this time and it seems to be working properly now.  Though I will be in quite a state if I find I am charged for 3 tokens, only one of which worked...
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

janski5559
New Poster

Im ready to dump HughesNet too.  I had HughesNet since 2012 and six months into this I decided It was not for me.  I think the only other internet service up here is Comcast, and I sure as heck do not want them.  Oh but now there is AT& T. Good Luck everyone!!
janski5559
New Poster

Im ready to dump HughesNet too.  I had HughesNet since 2012 and six months into this I decided It was not for me.  I think the only other internet service up here is Comcast, and I sure as heck do not want them.  Oh but now there is AT& T. Good Luck everyone!!
afrac2004

HOW CAN I INCREASE MY TOKENS
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Here is a How-To on Tokens. A little dated but still on point for the most part:

http://www.ricksyakshack.com/view_topic.php?id=9561&forum_id=73

Liz

Closing this old thread. If you need assistance, please scroll up and click on the New Post button to start your own thread and include a case number or your HughesNet modem's serial number located on the back/bottom so we can locate your account and get started.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!