cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Status meter

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Re: Status meter

I think her confusion may be that additional bandwidth (tokens) that you use is what goes into the Token Bytes Available, it never goes towards refilling or adding allowance to the ring meters. The ring meter(s) will stay red if you have used all your regular allowance until the next refill.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Sally you mentioned that you do have an external hard drive, now that your back up and running you might look at installing a software to do a full image backup of your hard drive so if it happens again you will be able to simply boot with a DVD or flash drive containing the backup software and plug the external drive and it will put everything including all programs emails everything exactly like it was when last backed up, I use the free version of AOMEI Backupper Pro, its bailed me out 2 times lately
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I make regular image backups too Charles. Best way to keep from losing anything up to the point of last image including all Windows updates.
As you say, 1TB USB hard drive isn't very expensive anymore especially when considering the headaches of losing files and Windows settings/updates.
Macrium Reflect (free) is also great for imaging.  Smiley Happy
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I agree that a sound backup strategy is essential. The problem with using an external hard drive however is the user has to remember to hook up the drive at some kind of interval ... something easily put off.

All desktop computers and many laptops have room for a second internal hard drive.
Having the drive always connected allows the backup process to be automated,
Example: My Win7 Toshiba laptop has two internal drives, the main "C" drive with the operating system and installed programs and a second "D: drive. Windows is set to do "incremental" file backups every 4 hours and to make a "system image" once per month. The currant image and one month back are retained so as to never overwrite a "problem" image.
If needed a complete up to the moment system image is the sum of the last system image + the current "incremental files".
Once set up, it requires no attention or intervention by the user. If  problem occurs the Windows backup function alerts the user.

(and I do keep backups-to-the-backups on external hard drives)
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

I also have a External HD connected to my router and do regular backups to it also automated, 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Charles,
If you want to see a mess, My "main desktop computer" has 10 internal hard drives. Five of them have different operating systems on them, each of the OS drives has a "backup drive" assigned to it because the OS drives are so radically different ranging from Windows 98SE thru Win7 Ultimate with an occasional Linux Distro inserted into a trayless SATA drawer slot just for variety. Smiley Happy

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

wow bet you electric meter spins like a saw blade, lol
Sally Thomas

You already told us that. Thank you. That is YOUR opinion and being America, you are still allowed to express that....I think. I better check the news..LOL
Sally Thomas

You guys were right! (about the leftover token bandwidth remaining). I checked this morning and their are 1.3GB listed as token bytes available, and my refill took place at midnight. That is a huge relief to me, because I felt cheated when I falsely believed the purchased bandwidth would fade off into the sunset at midnight.  Also, it's nice to bet that "free" token each month, so it's another safety cushion. I seldom have to use my entire monthly bandwidth allowance as we know how to budget it and know that even Gen4 won't make my son's bike go faster or allow us to watch movies and download much of anything. But, it's pretty stressful when computers need to be restored/set-up and all that entails and it's perhaps only a few days worth of bandwidth left to ration. Anyway, all is back to "normal" for now.....thanks for all of the input....even the persnickity opinionated ones....LOL
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Glad we could help Sally. The problem with these boards is it is hard to get a feel for someones personality and intent from typed words. Misunderstandings often occur.

I know I like to jab at people sometimes but I guess that is partially my military background. We were always taking pokes at each other.

Anyway, again happy you're back to normal and have a better understanding of the meters and tokens.