Hughesnet Community

Still Disappointed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bgi1959

Still Disappointed

Yes I have contacted them and They tell me that Hughsnet is reasonable for the warranty. I keep getting the runaround by Hughsnet and the installer. Since my contract is with Hughs and Hughs hired the installer instead of continually giving me phone numbers to call why doesn't Hughs take care of this. I would think since Hughes hired this subcontractor and spends a lot of money with them they should be able to place a phone call and get me my refund. I have the canceled check. Also I had a router and was told that I could not use it that I would need to purchase the one that he had.
I would think that Hughs would want to get to the bottom of this since you probably use the same contractor to do many of your installs. Instead you just tell me that it is not your problem.       
39 REPLIES 39
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Yet another good question 🙂
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
bgi1959

Model # DIR-619L-ES  It is a D-Link brand.
There should be a case number from a call on 6-21-2016 or 6-22-2016.
There should be a record of it. I was told that the call was being recorded. I was given a case number but cant find my notes on that. Since I was given a case number you should have a record of it. I know that I did not go and buy a $200 router just for the fun of it. I was told that it was bad. When I called in the last time I could not log on at all until the tech had me go around the router. At that time he told me mine was bad.
Glenn
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

That's why I asked for the make and model of the old router. 

kieferr111

I was told the same thing by my contractor. My cisco router was working fine. He said I needed to buy the Dlink router directly from him for the Hughesnet service. Why would Hughesnet allow this to happen so consistently. When they come to someones home by your direction, they do represent Hughe
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

kieffer111,

Hughes as a supplier of ISP services is only involved in the "networking" of a customers connection in only one circumstance.

That circumstance being if a customer asks for a router at the time of making their initial service order. That router is a specific model Dlink.

Under those circumstances the router IS being purchased through Hughes, will be supported by Hughes and warranted by Hughes.

In truth many new users don't know the difference between a Modem and a Router. Some may have a Modem with integrated WiFi and wish to reuse that. That being impossible as the Hughes Modem must be used with the Hughes service.

That is possible point of misunderstanding.

The installers themselves as subcontractors only represent Hughes only as far as the work order they have specifies. Anything beyond that is a not Hughes related, that is a business deal between you and that person.

That business that employs that installer is likely to have a number of employees. As in any other field their range of knowledge and experience is going to vary widely.

If a customer orders a router at the time of service order that info is going to be passed on in the work order and the business will send an employee known to have networking knowledge.

If that router is not included in the work order then it is possible that an employee that is certified to install but may not be fully capable of setting up a network is dispatched.

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Yup, what GWalk said.

From the printed HughesNet® Installation Reference Sheets customers initial and sign during installs:

1. Standard Installation includes:
    • Antenna mounting. The installer will determine a line of sight from a location on your home to the satellite and mount the satellite antenna there using a tri-mast roof / wall mount.
    • Installation of cable from antenna (outside) to the modem (inside) using a single point of entry into the room where the modem is located. The cable will enter through the exterior wall and terminate on the adjacent interior wall with a wall plate jack in the room where the modem is located.
    • Cables to connect the modem to the wall plate jack. The receive cable will be marked with red tape.
    • If there is no line of sight to the satellite from an approved structure that can support a tri-mast roof / wall mount then the installer will, with the customer's permission, install a pole mount that meets HughesNet specifications no further than 25ft from the home. A pole mount will be used only when it's the remaining option to provided high speed internet.
    • Grounding the antenna to a ground point to an NEC approved bonding point.
    • Compression fittings with dielectric grease and weather seal at all outdoor connection points.
  2. Non Standard Installation options:
    Customers have the option to purchase the following non standard extra products and services directly from the independent HughesNet installer in order to customize their HughesNet installation.
    • Wired/Wireless router. This device is necessary to network multiple computers to the internet through the HughesNet modem. A router is not included in a standard HughesNet installation.
    • Most independent HughesNet installers charge a small fee for networking multiple computers. Sometimes this fee is included in the purchase price of the wireless router.
  3. Customer Questions about the Order or physical installation can be immediately reviewed by calling the HughesNet Support Line at 866-774-6580

_____ I understand that networking is not included in a standard installation. The installer may offer networking services for an additional charge.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

That's the right one. It's a good router. We've installed dozens, and I have two here I use in my office for both HughesNet and Comcast.

BTW, part of what you paid for was the time for the technician to install and configure your router. That probably cannot be recovered.
GabeU

Have one, myself.  My folks do, too. 
bgi1959

I do not even have a copy of that. It has nothing to do with my problem of getting service after the sale. And I do know the difference between a router and a modem. And I also know the difference between taking care of your customer and just giving them the run around. Ya'll should go work for Hillary's Campaign.
bgi1959

That doesn't surprise me any, you wouldn't do anything when I was still in contract that is why I canceled the service. I can promise you this, that no one will sign up with you because of me. I will do my best to let everyone know how Hughes takes care of and rips off their customers.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Methinks you "jumped the gun"
Done deal now so I have to question what is the point of your post ?

You, when you were a customer did not follow up on info that the corporate Mods could have followed up on.

You really didn't grasp the concept of ...
Did I buy it through Hughes
OR did I buy as an after the fact from a third party installer that only represents Hughes as far as his "work order" ?

You seemed to have overlooked any responses that Community members posted

You never followed up on any requests to ascertain if the old modem had a real issue or was merely mis configured.

Now that being said: I can promise you this:
That any subscriber that wishes to network their service will receive help from the Community members.

James E Besser

I have A BELKIN 🙂
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

That doesn't surprise me any, you wouldn't do anything when I was still in contract that is why I canceled the service. I can promise you this, that no one will sign up with you because of me. I will do my best to let everyone know how Hughes takes care of and rips off their customers.
Only the posters here with "Official Rep" after their names work for HughesNet.

Now, apparently, you're upset that HughesNet won't reimburse you $80 for a router you bought from local company? Your beef is with the local company.
James E Besser

kenneth cashed the check at his bank? See on the back of the check. Hughes didn't get the money. Take him too small claims court. why are you here about this? its You and Kenneth battle, you must of asked him for a router
GabeU

No political talk, please. 

kieferr111

Whether you acknowledge it or not, the installer does represent Hughesnet. I called Hughesnet and you sent him to install your service. i will say the Hughesnet service did help me troubleshoot and reset the router which was not installed properly. 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Your local installer sold you the router. HughesNet didn't have anything to do with that, and their agreements with installers relieves them of responsibility for things like this.

What people here are telling you is that your beef is with your installer, and you should take this up with him. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time kicking about it here. 
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

No political talk, please. 
Yup. I hate national election seasons. Seems to compel some people to spout off more than usual, and blame everything wrong in their life on one candidate/party or the other.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Asus RT-AC56R here, works great in 1500 sq ft framed single story home. Accepts Merlin firmware and can monitor all devices usage including TVs, phones, tablets, etc. Can be purchased for as low as $40 factory refurbished in some places.

I'm hooked on the 5 GHz band.  : )