cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still having performance and data issues, previous topic locked

Professor

Re: Still having performance and data issues, previous topic locked

I  have those speeds often but they don't affect performance at all (OK, not that I notice), and I can even stream just fine (Hulu and Netflix).  

Sophomore

How in the heck can you stream? Even at 50GB a month that's only about 25 hours of DVD quality video. I'm at 20GB a month, 666MB per day, and have to monitor every byte, can't even stream Amazon Prime or Youtube for that matter. That goes back to the data usage, I'm using my internet the same as on Gen 4 but using twice the data by the counter...

Professor

I can stream just fine, and the data usage doesn't seem to be a problem (knock on wood!).  The only time I can't stream is when there is congestion, such as when people are at home in the evenings, but since I tend to stream in the mornings, that's not a big deal. 

Sophomore

Well that just ticks me off even more, $85 a month and can't even watch Youtube. I'm sitting at 4.2gb left and 5 days until reset...

What online activity are you doing/trying to do when you are seeing the red Xs in the transitory chart? A deeper dive into these specific minutes show TCP connectivity issues, not satellite link issues on the transmission side / OTA. The only other plausible situation is a DNS or site access failure. That would probably also explain why you've had the same issue on a different satellite, beam, gateway, modem, radio, cables and network route (Hughes side) for the past few years. 

Sophomore

Playing around on Guild Wars 2, if you can call playing an online game with a ping greater than 2 seconds with spikes of 3 minutes playing, but also just while browsing the internet and using Skype.

So the question becomes if there's not a problem until the HughesNet ground station to the servers, such as AWS and Microsoft, then what's causing the problem?

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Sophomore

Should I assume that, given the lack of reponses to this thread as well as direct messages, HughesNet acknowledges there is a problem somewhere between the HughesNet base station and known completely functional AWS servers, and is either unable, or unwilling, to correct the problem?

Highlighted
Professor

Amanda replied to you:  A deeper dive into these specific minutes show TCP connectivity issues, not satellite link issues on the transmission side / OTA. The only other plausible situation is a DNS or site access failure. That would probably also explain why you've had the same issue on a different satellite, beam, gateway, modem, radio, cables and network route (Hughes side) for the past few years. 

Sophomore

Don't take this the wrong way, but I only wish to have replies from HughesNet employees. I am getting extremely fed up with paying $85 a month for faulty service. If there's no problem from my modem to the HughesNet ground station, but there is a problem between there and completely functional servers, such as AWS servers, then I am being punished for an issue that is no fault of my own. I am entitled to receive error free service like everyone else, or entitled to compensation for services which cannot be provided.

Senior Instructor

Don't take *this* the wrong way, but you do realize that piling on all these issues after all the admins went home for the weekend is not going to get you a rapid reply from them. It will get a response from us, though.

So if you prefer to hear from them, they'll be back on Monday during regular buisiness hours, ET.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.