Still slow as snot

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TripleMRanch
Junior

Still slow as snot

How can Hughes net advertise 25k download speeds when they know they have speeds like these https://testmy.net/quickstats/Tahoe%20Robb isn't that false advertising? I have been putting up with this for months and am am tired of hearing their false advertising

12 REPLIES 12
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

The speed is advertised as "up to 25 Mbps."  That's not false advertising  (and it is also how other providers advertise their speeds as well).   They also have several statements indicating speeds can vary considerably. 

So I have a car, it does 30 mph would it be proper of me to advertse it as a car that goes 130 mph because that is terminal velocity and if you took the car and drove it off a cliff it would go that fast? I think not. Just tired of hearing and seeing advertising for 25 mbps when they darn well know they can't deliver it to a good portion of their users.

@maratsade

Of course speeds vary. I'm getting 440 kbps tonight, which is about what I've got most nights for the past month. I believe that's 1/56th of 25Mbps. Are you arguing that that's reasonable and that customers should not have higher expectations?

I have been getting .2mb to .4mb at 6pm, while getting 27mb at 6am.  Way too wide of a swing to be acceptable.  12mb-15mb should be the ‘slow’ speeds when lots of users are on at prime time.  Otherwise, just admit you oversold it or don’t have the infrastructure to support it and let those of us with buyers remorse out of the contracts. 

The speeds are always hit and miss, and when things slow down they make one excuse after another, but they never truly fix it. But they will gladly take your money.

Just watched their commercial they do not say up to 25 mbps they say you will get 25mbps

maratsade

Would you happen to have a link to that commercial?  I don't have TV.

I am sorry it does say speeds may vary for 5 seconds in very small print, 5 seconds at

the 13 second to the 18 second mark 

maratsade

"Are you arguing that that's reasonable and that customers should not have higher expectations?"

What makes you think that?

@maratsade wrote:

The speed is advertised as "up to 25 Mbps."  That's not false advertising  (and it is also how other providers advertise their speeds as well).   They also have several statements indicating speeds can vary considerably. 

The difference is that other ISPs actually provide what they're advertising. "Up to" is an out for them to deal with unreasonable customers who won't pay their bill because speedtest.net shows 24.99 Mbps instead of 25. HughesNet, on the other hand, is providing nothing even close to a broadband experience on congested beams.

Dont you just hate it when you get pocket aces and the you get bounced from the game and the sign says it is because your internet is to slow right when that hughes net commercial comes on