cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yoajon
Freshman

Stop Windows Update from using all your Bandwidth and Allotment

I live in a remote area and have a Satellite ISP with a download speed
of 2Mbps and a limited daily allotment of 300 MBytes. I am running Windows 10 with the latest Anniversary Update. I set Windows 10 to not download updates over metered connections but it does not recognize my Satellite ISP as being metered. The latest cumulative update used all my bandwidth and all my allotment so I was out of Internet for the rest of the day. The Update Download shows up in the Task Monitor Performance and the process "Service Host: Local System (18)". The solution was to switch from my router's Ethernet connection to my router's WiFi connection and set the connection as metered in the Windows 10 WiFi settings. Between 2 AM and 7 AM is a "Bonus Period" when I have unlimited download and during that period I plug in the Ethernet connection so that windows update can download.
4 REPLIES 4
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

You are correct in that "metered" is only effective on wireless.
Liz

Hi yoajon,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting! Good idea to switch back to ethernet to take advantage of your Bonus Period! Thanks for sharing.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

RenickRanger

So if I am using a desktop with no wireless adapter, I will have to add one?

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

@RenickRanger wrote:

So if I am using a desktop with no wireless adapter, I will have to add one?

With recent update to Windows 10 you should now be able to also set a wired connection as metered.