cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Speed Test Results, Inconsistent with Real World Tests

emcconkey
New Poster

Strange Speed Test Results, Inconsistent with Real World Tests

I am experiencing some strange internet speed results and am hoping that someone can help me figure it out. I have the 25mbit service from Hughes at a vacation spot and I use it to connect to servers for work when I have to.

I have several VMs at AWS that I connect to and I also connect to several VMs on private networks as well. When transferring files from Amazon to my computer, I get an average 1mbit transfer rate. Sometimes it will go as fast as 1.4mbit for a short time, and sometimes as slow as 0.5 for a while. I have tried various AWS datacenter locations (east, west, etc) as well as other networks not associated with Amazon. The same story everywhere - I get roughly 1mbit connection speed. The hughes speed tests run consistent with these numbers. When I watch my bandwidth via a bandwidth monitor on my computer, I see results that are consistent with what the browser is telling me (or scp, wget, etc)

The strange part comes when I run a bandwidth test at testmy.net. I get anywhere from 30mbit to 45mbit download speeds. Usually above 40. Testmy.net will show 45mbit while I watch my bandwidth monitor show me that I'm only pulling in 4-6mbit to my computer.

To summarize, here is what I have found:

Every site I've tried where I can measure my bandwidth (speedtest.net, hughes speed test, AWS VMs, private networks, download ISOs from microsoft, etc) give me the following:

Every site: 1.5mbit average

My bandwidth monitor: 1.5mbit average

Testmy.net: 40-45mbit almost every time

My bandwidth monitor: 4-6mbit.

I've gone through the steps of disabling wifi on the router, and plugged in only one device to the ethernet port.

I'd like to call hughes tech support but my concern is that they use the testmy.net results to judge whether or not you're getting the bandwidth you pay for. Clearly, if all I used my internet connection for was to download random data from testmy.net, this would be a non-issue and I would be happy as a clam.

It seems a little strange that the one site that I need to use to confirm that the connection is slow is the one site that reports in as 40x faster than all other networks I want to connect to.

If anyone has any input on what could be the problem, I'd love to hear it.

3 REPLIES 3
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Strange Speed Test Results, Inconsistent with Real World Tests

I'm not really sure.  Here're my tests, with Networx to monitor the bandwidth.  With the exception of the Hughes test, which is off (that's not unusual), the results and the bandwidth monitoring pretty much match.

Capture.JPG

2.4MBps is equal to 19.2Mbps, but most of the time it was running at around 2.8MBps, or 22.4Mbps.  James Madison University's servers, which is who was used for this, seemed to be running a bit slow, as I tried it a second time, after the other tests were finished, and it (JMU) was still running about the same.     

Capture1.JPG

4.7MBps is 37.6Mbps, though most of the time it was running around 4.9MBps, or 39.2Mbps.

Capture2.JPG

Hughes' test is sometimes a little wonky and inaccurate.  

Capture3.JPG

Pretty much dead on.  

Capture4.JPG

Pretty much dead on.

Capture5.JPG

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
emcconkey
New Poster

Thanks for the reply. The inconsistent test results are definitely a mystery, but the actual speeds are what I have to work with.

Rumor has it that another form of broadband will be in my area before the year is up and I'll happily fight Hughes over the early termination fee when that time arrives. The quality of the network is just plain awful.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@emcconkey

If you have the records of the speed tests you've run at the different sites, it would probably be a good idea to post a couple from each so that the reps can take a look at what's going on.  

@emcconkey wrote:

Rumor has it that another form of broadband will be in my area before the year is up and I'll happily fight Hughes over the early termination fee when that time arrives. The quality of the network is just plain awful. 

If it's NY you may be in for a rude surprise.  I certainly was.  The "Broadband for All" initiative is still going to leave some of us in the cold.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro