Hughesnet Community

Streaming issues

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel Noonan

Streaming issues

I am a Prime customer which means I have a 10GB anytime allowance and a 50 GB Bonus (21am-8am). Last month my wife decided to stream feelin.com movies on her computer. After watching 3 movies during anytime minutes she had used up the entire 10GB, meaning the remainder of the month we had to either work with a super slow internet connection or work on the computer between midnight and 8am. To try to troubleshoot this I ran a complete feelin.com 2 hr movie on my computer during bonus hours and monitored the GB usage. Sure enough, this movie utilized over 3GB. My question is simply "why"? Is it because the movie is being streamed on a computer rather than a TV (I can't see where that could be)? Is it because of some facet of feel.com streaming? Or is it simply the price of streaming. Hopefully not the latter, because it would be substantially cheaper just to buy the movie. Any suggestions?

Interestingly, I used to have Windstream internet service where I lived prior to this and the internet service and telephone (including long distance calling) was less than $60/month, we had no usage limits (or none that ever surfaced during our use) and the speed was maybe 5 times that of this HughesNet service. Unfortunately they do not service this area we currently live in. Cable is also not currently available to us, but has anyone out there compared this HughesNet to Dish or Direct? I recognize that HughesNet charges this absurd cancellation fee and even require you to pay for the return of their equipment, but if there is something better (and from my experience that would be just about anybody) then it might be worth the investment. To tell you the truth, I have never been associated with a company as inept and unorganized as HughesNet.
36 REPLIES 36
Christopher San

Sorry ,it was FireFoxxy, who was into NCIS, My mistake  but it is a great movie !!!! though  !!!
Melissa6

Really 800mb for 45min ouch!! I think I'll stick to netflix lol.... Your welcome Purgatory, I seen your post after I made mine, so i figured you already had 🙂
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Melissa, not my first choice but does come in handy sometimes especially for something to watch later but wanting to save Anytime data. And with the 50GB Bonus now it really doesn't take that big of a chunk out of it. I'm actually finding 50GB is more than enough Bonus allowance.
Again, being able to set it up to download while I'm snoozing is nice. 🙂
Melissa6

I know watch ya mean Sgoshe I too switched to a new plan equivelent to what I had 10GB anytime 50GB. Don't use amazon much but have found ways to get what I need during BB. This month I downloaded 5 games much to big to chance on the old plan and at least 10 shows and did updates on all 4 computers, the playstation, as well as the kids ds's an still didnt even squash half the BB. Now in the next couple months who knows, i may just invest in another external or two and then I'll be able to take FULL advantage of the improved BB 🙂
Nick Straits

Recently for me, my video quality has dropped from 720p to actually only being able to handle 144p. This literally just happened about a week ago and I don't know why I can no longer watch 360p videos to 720p videos without buffering. I know it isn't my computer, so has something changed with Hughesnet? 
Geoffrey Leach
Sophomore

Hi Amanda.

FWIW, I'm a long-time Hughes customer, so this is just a curiosity on my part.

That said, I would revise my question. Are prospective customers pointed to these pages as a matter of policy PRIOR to their being signed up? I ask only because there appear to be a number of users who have no knowledge of them, and who appear to be unpleasantly surprised when they discover that watching movies is expensive!
Christopher San

Geoffrey, i'm not Hughes=Net , just for starters !!!    just one word should say it all SALESMEN    !!!!
Amanda

Hi Geoffrey,

Anyone with a data limit should understand or learn to understand that using the internet will use their data. Much like an analogy I used before about a water company, washing your dishes uses water. If you have a party, you'll have a particularly large amount of dishes and will use more water. The water company however does not "brochure" this. From a sales perspective, pamphlet-ing so much information before hand takes a lot of work, time and generally ends up in lost momentum.

I am a strong believer that our data plans, caps and capabilities are not hidden. They are out there for the world to see, in our FAQ's, websites and forum. I have heard sales calls that carefully explain that while a user can watch movies, they should install the status meter and be careful to limit the amount they view. Binge-watching is not something we recommend. Recently (actually I am not sure how recent), Comcast began putting 150GB limits on their high speed plans in certain areas and charging for overages at about $45 a month per a certain amount. Time Warner Cable has "Turbo Boost" that provides super fast speeds until you FAP, then basically hit a DSL type speed.

There truly has to be a limit on how much you throw at a customer before they become overwhelmed. I am not a marketing strategist or a sales expert and these are just my .02, but I would never sign up for a credit card without looking at the interest rate 🙂

Thanks,
Amanda
Christopher San

i heard you i surely do , Purgatory !!!!
Christopher San

Purgayory if you wish to laugh check-out the loss of data  post   about 30 or 40 replies   on it  you will enjoy it   still laughing over that one     you will not beleive it HEE !!  HEE !!!  why my tokens being taken is how it is listed !!!
Christopher San

Nick ,you need to start a new post so   as you will not be lost , i accidentally came up on your post, so as not to get lost please start a new post !!!
Nick Straits

O_O Hopefully this works...
Thank you!

Recently for me, my video quality has dropped from 720p to actually only being able to handle 144p. This literally just happened about a week ago and I don't know why I can no longer watch 360p videos to 720p videos without buffering. I know it isn't my computer, so has something changed with Hughesnet? 
Christopher San

now you are visible , and when one of the more knowledgeable members can locate your post and help !!!!!
Nick Straits

I also made a new thread so hopefully that helps catch some attention as well, lol! Well, you helped me realize that my post was pretty much invisible so you already helped me more than enough.
Christopher San

now you are visible and now one of th more knowlegible members can find you now
Christopher San

wrong one