cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming...what's the secret?

jcocke23
Sophomore

Streaming...what's the secret?

When I try to stream anything....videos on youtube, netflix, espn, even music, it does not stream.  Even when I run a speed test at that moment, with adequate speed (>6 Mbps) I cannot smoothly stream.  It consistently downloads a piece, plays till that piece is finished, then buffers, downloads another chunk, then plays till that piece is finished...buffers again...and so on.  Even on the lowest setting on youtube (240p) I have problems.  It also takes 3-4 minutes before it even starts to play the video.  Netflix quality gets so low its unrecognizable to watch.  I have trouble streaming pandora!  Can't even hold a song for more than 5 mins before it freezes and loses connectivity.

I have been having speed issues as noted in another post, but I don't know if this is related.  I don't know if something is wrong with the modem, or what.  It consistently does this across multiple devices, even the computer that is plugged directly into the modem via ethernet.  I have trouble with two laptops, two phones, an ipad, and the television.  It should be noted that I am only trying to stream on one device at a time.  Where is this advertised 25 Mbps?  

I notice a similar issue when navigating webpages...takes forever to initiate a load on a page...every time I change pages.  Same results whether I am using chrome or IE.

Are there settings somewhere that I am not aware of to help with streaming?

6 REPLIES 6
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Re: Streaming...what's the secret?

Have you attempted streaming with Video Data Saver disabled, and manually setting your resolution to 480p or lower?

Have you attempted disabling Web Acceleration as well?

Please follow the directions below to disable Web-Acceleration.

1: Visit http://192.168.0.1 in your web-browser.
2: Click the "i" icon at the top of the HT1100/2000w System Control Center (also known as the SCC).  It is highlighted in red in the image below.
photo skUivVb.png

3: Click on "Web Acceleration" then "Control" outlined in red.
photo jnchLQt.png

4: Click on "Web Acceleration Enabled", this will change to an orange button that says "Web Acceleration Disabled".
photo mQGk0j9

5: Restart your browser and try using the service that isn't working, please let us know how that works for you.

jcocke23
Sophomore

@C0RR0SIVE

Thanks, I'll try that this evening!

jcocke23
Sophomore

@corrosive

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn't work. Latest speed test showed less than 1 Mbps. Video will not stream...heck speed tests fail bc the latency is too long.

Makes no sense bc at other times of the day, I have no problem hitting 20-40 Mbps.

Extremely frustrated but what can I do?! I feel helpless bc all I hear is "the engineers are looking into it"... I typically never go on social media bashing a company but c'mon hughesnet!! Fix this or admit you are selling a product you cannot deliver on!
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Curious, do you know what beam you are on?  Is it 68?  If it is, there are known issues in regards to speeds.

Aside from that, you did state you was getting adequate speeds in your first post, hence why I suggested what I did, but if you are getting 1Mbps or less, you will need to perform some speedtests so that Liz, Aedan, or Amanda can forward your results to engineering.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies and latency that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY

-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

jcocke23
Sophomore

@C0RR0SIVE

Just ran another speed test, similar time to last night when I seem to be having all my problems.  Again, less than 1 Mbps.

http://testmy.net/db/x3CB0dWGp

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Yeah, don't worry about speedtests at this point since it looks like you are on Beam 68 after having looked at your other topics and posts.