Streaming

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kp0822
Freshman

Streaming

No other choice but Hughes Net where I live. Was lead to believe FROM REPS AT HN streaming Live TV and other streaming services that 30 GB is good. Ha!! I kept a journal. Within 5 days of medium use of streaming I was out of my 30 GB. 

HN is nothing more than a dish for internet use on devices and computers. NOT good for streaming LIVE. I was certainly misled and regret  that I now have 2 yr contract with crap service. 
I switched from 30 to 10 GB. It doesn't matter if you run out of GB in 5 days paying $100 why not run out sooner paying $60. What a rip off!! 
for $100 HN should be UNLIMITED. 

16 REPLIES 16
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Satellite can't be unlimited. Ever. It just not enough broadband to go around; not going to change any time soon; that's just how the technology is. 

Are you sure there's nothing else in your area?  New stuff comes up all the time. 

For live TV you should get a satellite TV package. That works perfectly for live TV and does not use your internet data at all.

You were told you can stream because you can -- that's not a lie, though you may not have been told the limitations and how to manage them. 

You can prove you were misled by requesting a sales call review under myAccount and Billing. Sales calls are recorded, and if you got HN within the last 3 to 6 months, the reps here can pull your sales call and hear exactly what the rep told you, what you asked, what you answered, what you agreed to, etc.  Requesting a sales call review is free to you and could be worth your while. 

Satellite TV program? Like Direct TV? 
there are other options but not until hopefully late summer!

Signed up and in line for Starlink!!!

other than that no there is nothing else in my area that allows tv live streaming or streaming apps like Netflix etc. which is all I have now because I moved from an area with great internet. 
don't want to get direct tv I'll just have patience for my Starlink!!

Thank you! I really appreciate it
maratsade

Laura, when did all this happen? Was it recent?  Also, before signing up for a subscription, did you read any of the information on the HN website and on the legal site, especially the disclaimers? 

If your sales call was recent enough (3 to 6 months, sometimes longer), you can request a sales call review. When you request a sales call review, the HN representatives on this site will request the recording of the call and listen to it, to see what exactly the agent told you and what you replied.  If you were misled or not told about the limitations of the service, you may see some benefit to you. 

If you would like to request a sales call review, go to the myAccount and Billing section , click the blue button labeled "Start a topic," and ask for the review.  Turnaround is usually 7 business days, sometimes more, sometimes less. 

Please keep in mind that streaming eats data very quickly. If you want to watch live TV, your best bet is to get a regular TV set and a satellite TV subscription -- this works differently than satellite internet, and you can watch TV as much as you like. 

@LauraDarlin01 wrote:
Thank you! I really appreciate it

GabeU

Unlimited high speed service sounds great, but it's an impossibility with geostationary satellite internet.  Well, not necessarily an impossibility, but in order to offer it HughesNet would not only have to limit the service to a relatively small number of subscribers, they'd have to charge upwards of $500 or more per month to those few subscribers just to remain a viable company.  It's not cheap to provide, and the cost to do so would have to be spread around those few subscribers.  

For reference, and using Netflix as the yardstick, streaming in SD uses around 700MB per hour and HD around 3GB per hour.

Yep But HN will soon be replaced by Starlink and thank goodness for that. Their reps sign you up like it's a great product. I knew it wasn't but thought I'd get more than 5 days of very limited TV streaming. 
oh well they also know they suck so bad that they make you sign up for 2 years. Does that tell you anything?? It does me!! Most internet services now are not on a yearly contract. It's obvious they would lose so many customers once they start using their HN so they suck people in for 2 years. Disgusting 

Just signed up for my Starlink Kit and hope I'm one of the lucky ones where I live to get it!! 

maratsade

I hope SL doesn't disappoint you, but it will.  Wanting is so much more satistying than having.  Good luck to you, and God bless your heart. 

GabeU

@Kp0822 wrote:

Yep But HN will soon be replaced by Starlink and thank goodness for that.  

Maybe for you, but if you think Starlink will cause HN to disappear, I wouldn't bet on it.  

There are plenty of people out there who don't care one iota about streaming.  There are plenty out there who aren't going to pay $500 for their equipment, nor $50 for shipping it (which is an insult), nor $99 per month for service.  

HN ins't going anywhere.  

maratsade

"There are plenty of people out there who don't care one iota about streaming.  There are plenty out there who aren't going to pay $500 for their equipment, nor $50 for shipping it (which is an insult), nor $99 per month for service." 

Well said. 

And there are plenty of people out there who think Musk is a grifter and wouldn't have any dealings at all with him or anything related to him.   

And there are plenty of people willing to pay and then have their own OWNED equipment instead of paying HN and Viastsat monthly equipment charges forever. What's the difference!? 5 months at $100 to pay off the equipment is = to 5 months of 30 GB from HN and compare the quality - no comparison! 

maratsade

Have a nice learning experience, dear. 

Kp0822 wrote:

And there are plenty of people willing to pay and then have their own OWNED equipment instead of paying HN and Viastsat monthly equipment charges forever. What's the difference!? 5 months at $100 to pay off the equipment is = to 5 months of 30 GB from HN and compare the quality - no comparison! 

That's what it's all about the learning experience!!

And thanks I will enjoy it -- you might want to wake up to 2021 and enjoy that experience dear!!

maratsade

Aww, bless your heart, darling. 

GabeU

@Kp0822 wrote:

And there are plenty of people willing to pay and then have their own OWNED equipment instead of paying HN and Viastsat monthly equipment charges forever.  

No one is forced to lease their HughesNet equipment.  The option to purchase is there and always has been.

Hi. I'm new and Im not tech savvy. I bought a Roku tv because I was told that it wAs cheaper than satellite. With that being said. I think it would have been nice when I called hughesnet for service to operate my tv, watch it and enjoy the tv; I think if hugheso

Hughesnet should have told me that they aren't good at streaming. Where I live, there were two choices. 1 was Windstream and 1 was hughesnet. I live in a camper and Windstream won't connect to campers so that left, you got it. Anyway, I had my Roku up on the wall, never turned on, which I told the rep before I purchased anything (I could have returned to store). No one mentioned. No one from best buy, Windstream and/or hn said I would not be able to watch one movie without seeing loading every 5-6min during movie. The guy that hooked my wifi up? Didn't want to be at work that day. It took him less than 1 hour to set pole, dish, line, throw a bunch of papers my way initial and sign and when asked if I had enough data was told oh yes. Just your cellphone and Roku? Plenty. When asked to help sign me up at hughesnet.com because the brochure said he would help me, he told me," that wasn't part of his job!"I just read that it was. Long story short, the landowner talk to him, I didn't. My mistake. He said initial and sign, you can finish reading after I'm gone, which is when I saw the 2year contract.i called customer service and the woman wouldn't let me finish asking about loading movie before she hung up on me. Now I have watched 2movies, that took forever to watch, my data was at 0 after 3days of no tv due to the snow and yes no connection. It's crazy in my opinion that with covid-19 you have to sign 2yr contract. Nobody really knows who is going to be here on this planet in two years and what ever happened to honest helpful people? I'm not the fullest crayon in the box; in fact I'm actually smarter than the average bear! But when you tell the service the deal and you ask if you are doing what you need to do, how hard is it weather they don't get a sale or they do, to be honest and help a fellow American? This small act of kindness probably would have saved some of us that have more or less said same thing a lot of trouble, time, and money, had we known about not being able to stream much with this company. I'm sorry I just HAD to get that off my chest. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thank you