Hughesnet Community

Sucky Service but it's all we can get in our area!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjbovenzi

Sucky Service but it's all we can get in our area!

We recently became Hughesnet subscribers back in August after purchasing our retirement home in the country.  Hughesnet and one other company were our only choices and the other satellite company had no openings for subscribers so we really only had one choice.  Coming from having superb service with Charter for our internet and cable service and now stuck with this lame duck of a service really sucks!!!  DirecTV never told us we needed "high speed cable" to use OnDemand and other features that we're paying for but cannot access.  We have the 15gb plan and at the outrageous fees they are asking for the higher services I refuse to pay it!  We had 60mbps of download speed with Charter, now we can barely get 1mbps.  We had phone service with our package through Hughesnet but it was so horrible and ate up our bandwidth so we canceled that which was a long and frustrating phone call.  But we finally got them to drop the service with NO fees involved!  My wife needs the phone for work and since we get no Cell phone service out here it is VERY important that the house phone work and we got an AT&T hard line put in for that.  In the end... the service sucks but it's all that is available so we have to deal with it and hope that someone runs a REAL cable service into our area.  Good luck people!
25 REPLIES 25
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

If your problem is satellite internet is not like 60 Mbps cable then that really isn't a fixable problem. It is simply a fact that satellite will never be like cable and does not compete with cable.

There are things that can be done to get your speed up though if you want help with that.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Bandwidth refers to "data throughput" not "allotment".
I agree though, the Hughes housebrand of VOIP would not have used any data from the users monthly data allowence.

Slow speeds coupled with reduced data is an indication of concurent connections by unseen/unknown devices or background processes ant needs further investigation.
jjbovenzi

All I can say is that by removing the phone from the modem increased the speed on our units using WiFi service.  I KNOW it made a difference getting rid of it so you can't tell it didn't.  
jjbovenzi

It made a big difference in our units running WiFi... without the phone we had more bandwidth and could connect 3 or 4 devices, with it connected we were lucky to get 2 working.
jjbovenzi

I wasn't comparing them in that mannar, I understand there is a BIG difference between the two.  What really bothers me is that I'm paying MORE now for worse internet and cable service than I was before with MUCH better service.  Between DirecTV charging us around $100 a month and Hughesnet charging around $70 we are paying more than I was for cable/internet combined with higher bandwidth and upload/download speeds and the ability to order pay per view movies.  But as my last statement stated... it's all we have available so we have to live with it.  No need to try to help... I'm more than capable of handling it, thanks.
jjbovenzi

The things that affect our speed cannot be controlled unfortunately... as you stated... location, weather and load on the satellite.  We're running one Desktop PC and one cell phone via WiFi so there isn't a big demand on our LAN.  Even when it's just the PC running it's a crappy connection.  And yes I do my automatic updates in the middle of the night at 3 am so it doesn't affect us during normal hours.  My original post was not meant to be a "please help me".  It was merely
 a statement that I wish we had cable service out here, we got spoiled all those years with true "HighSpeed" service and not this crappy Gen4 "highspeed" that Hughesnet advertises.  Rant over, thanks for reading. 😉
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Well, this is what I'm getting right now with my wife streaming YouTube (low definition) on her tablet the same time I did the test. It serves our purposes fine but maybe I'd feel different coming from cable. All we've ever had is dial-up then satellite.

donagibbons
Freshman

You must not be an engineer or never been in a military.  Why are there satellites doing terabyte data streaming and data mining 24/7?  Why do you have cable television relays getting their shows by satellite instead cable lines?
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

There are no satellites that are pumping out terabytes worth of data, it's currently not possible as far as a two-way communications satellite goes.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

donagibbons, actually I was a radio repair tech most of my military career and Superintendent of a SAC (Strategic Air Command) satellite facility for the last part of my career. But what do I know?
Comparing Satellite TV to two-way internet communication shows what you know, or don't know.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Why are there satellites doing terabyte data streaming
Poster was likely referring to the satellites that blanket us with ONE-WAY Directv & Dish and simply does not understand the complexity involved with TWO-WAY communication.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Chaps my hide when people compare satellite TV to satellite internet.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

But what do I know?
Comparing Satellite TV to two-way internet communication shows what you know, or don't know

In another post said poster referenced Nikola Tesla (1856-1943):

The new  technology is using Nikola Telsa Concept of using the Earth as the conductor or transmission media.  Then again you may not know who Nikola Telsa is.

This has to be in reference Tesla's Wardenclyffe Tower experiment that functionally  ended in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower

Methinks too many old issues of Popular Science magazine have been perused.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I should have said "equate" instead of "compare". Can compare all one wants and they both use satellites but to equate the two is way off the mark.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Bill,

That does support the fact that concurrent connections will reduce speed.

A few months back I had my hardwired desktop downloading a Garmin Map update and took my laptop out to the RV about 65 feet from the router.

Laptop was very S-L-O-W until the Garmin software "released" its connection.

I'm always suspicious when I read complaints of slow speeds coupled with data loss issues.

Novice users in many cases just won't grasp the concept of "background processes" be it a legit process or malware.

jjbovenzi

It's not just the WiFi that's having issue, as I said, my desktop PC has the same issues.  As I said, this wasn't a post asking for help, it was just a rant.  I remember the days going from 14.4 baud rate modems and slowly making the climb up.  Everyone was excited when we got 56k speed!  Then came cable and we were shitting our pants with the speed back then!  Now coming from having 60mbps download speeds and running youtube in HIGH definition all the time and being able to connect a PC, Laptop, 2 cell phones in our house and let my next door neighbor run off our WiFi with her cell phone and Laptop.... Yeah we were spoiled and enjoyed it immensely. 🙂
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

We understand that you have no need of help so no recent comments were directed to you.

This being a public forum and an "open topic" it is likely to attract comments from other Community members.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

All of us are subject to misunderstandings, misconceptions and misinformation but it is the ability to assimilate and correlate new information that sets us apart from .... turnips.

We can also forgive Sgoshe for using "compare" instead of "equate" as this topic had effectively been derailed long ago.

All of us I think can be forgiven as this topic was not a sincere plea for help or support to begin with.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

All of us are subject to misunderstandings, misconceptions and misinformation but it is the ability to assimilate and correlate new information that sets us apart from .... turnips.

We can also forgive Sgoshe for using "compare" instead of "equate" as this topic had effectively been derailed long ago.

All of us I think can be forgiven as this topic was not a sincere plea for help or support to begin with.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Tesla had some rather interesting ideas

That he did but was ahead of his time. I guess. However when someone like JP Morgan tells you to take a hike it is time to take a personal inventory break and determine if you have lost your "center".

Of course they said old Albert was a bit of a dreamer .......