Super SLOW speed

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
genejohn2147
Sophomore

Super SLOW speed

https://testmy.net/quickstats/genejohn2147 Above are my results for random generated data. The problem is that I download web sites, you tube videos, and programs. Yes random generated data downloads at 25Mbps but I have no use for random generated data. For your information I want to download web sites and software. Some web sites will not download, they time out, before the data can be transferred. A person that understands computers will use their Task Manager to view download speeds. My speeds range from 8 to maybe 500Kbps. It takes an hour to download a 25 Mb file and that is at night between 2 and 8am So I think you can see that Testmy.net speeds have no bearing on the real world of downloading data that I want to use. My old dial-up service was better than HughesNet.
32 REPLIES 32
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Yeah, I've never gotten one.  

When you get another one with the false information, perhaps you can take a picture of it to post it here, so the mods can deal with it if there's a problem. 

It can be confusing.

Typically those ads are from resellers or referrers who get paid if you sign up for one of the services that they refer you too.  So they will list, on the ad, the highest speed across all providers that they represent in any part of the planet.  When you dig in though, and actually enter the service address, you should only see the speeds available at that location.  If HughesNet is the fastest for your location, it should defintely not say that they can provide 1Gbps speeds.  I've never seen HughesNet advertise that speed and they don't have any such plans on their site or any of their FAQs suggesting that speed either.

For example: https://www.satelliteinternetnow.com/ is an Authorized HughesNet Retailer, but if they were also authorized to sell FIOS they may list FIOS speeds on their Ads or homepage because FIOS is faster depending on your location.  But once you enter your service location if FIOS isn't available then you should only see 25Mbps, or whatever the fastest speed at your location is.  Hope that helps clarify the advertisement part at least.

Ok, so you are saying that I should be happy that HughesNet provides me with a normal range of speeds between 16 Kbps and 500Kbps, because that is the best that HughesNet can do? And yes the speed is K not M. I would be happy with even 1 Mbps which I only see when I am downloading the useless speed test data. Sometimes even HughesNet web site takes minutes to download and some websites never download, they just time out. Even though I was looking at a Dish ad I have to pay a HughesNet bill. Are you telling me that HughesNet can not provide me anything better than 500 Kbps?

maratsade

I don't think anyone said that. What was said was that the advert you had was not from HN like you believed, but from a reseller who listed the speed range for all the bundles on offer, and HN was only one of those.

Should you be happy with service that's not working for you? That's for you to decide and to choose the avenue to remedy the situation.

One thing you may want to consider is conducting the troubleshooting procedure outlined here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

This procedure is required to have speed issues addressed on this site.

@genejohn2147 wrote:

Ok, so you are saying that I should be happy that HughesNet provides me with a normal range of speeds between 16 Kbps and 500Kbps, because that is the best that HughesNet can do?

No not at all, I'm just saying that HughesNet has probably never promised over 25Mbps for residential satellite.  My speeds are slow too, unacceptably slow, there are lots of things I can't do that I would like too.  I only became a subscriber in the later half of March, so I can't really say what is typical, and I understand that things are different right now and will be for at least several more months.  I do think when folks are signing up, that HughesNet should warn them about the current situation and provide them much more realistic speeds.

My speeds are typically in the 150 - 200 KBps (capital B on purpose there) so a bit faster than you, but not enough to do much besides browse websites.  When I do things that aren't prioritized, it drops below that.  That's painful for me because VPN traffic can't be inspected so it's not prioritized and I do need to use it for a bit of my work.  Yes, my speed tests are generally very fast 30 - 40 Mbps, so that tells me that the capability exists, but the prioritization, which I assume is needed because of congestion as they say, is the problem.

I don't know what the answer is.  Relieving the data caps is a weird move in my mind, because with all prioritization going on, I don't think many people are able to get above their throttled speed anyhow.  In any event, I hope they are able to figure out a better plan between caps and prioritization, it certainly doesn't seem like that is dialed in very well, but it's very hard to speculate from here.

GabeU

@genejohn2147 wrote:

Sometimes even HughesNet web site takes minutes to download and some websites never download, they just time out.  

I suggest the same thing I did three weeks ago.  Demonstrate this. 

2020-04-25_internet ad.jpg

I tried to add text to the photo of the Ad for internet service, but did not know how. So I am replying in a new post.

Yes this ad is for Dish but there is no Dish internet in my area. So they sent out Hughes net.

Note that it's not actually Dish either, but an 'authorized retailer' (basically a reseller). There's your clue.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade

The disclaimer area should be read too. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

Note that it's not actually Dish either, but an 'authorized retailer' (basically a reseller). There's your clue.

Thanks for posting that image, that's exactly the type of ad that we are talking about, and I totally understand how confusing or misleading that can be. 

As others have noted, that is a Dish Reseller.  Dish probably bundles their TV service with various internet providers (I don't think Dish does internet on their own), so depending on where you live, you could have access to different providers that are Dish partners.  If they can bundle you with a terrestial provider, then you probably can pay for 1Gbps speed, but if your only option is satelite, that speed will not be available to you.

GabeU

@genejohn2147 

Depending on the issue, speed tests can give a lot of info.  In your case, speed tests are simply the first step in the troubleshooting process, which is a process of elimination.