cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super SLOW speed

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor II

Re: Super SLOW speed

" The HughesNet advertisement that states "Blazing-Fast Internet Speeds from 25 Mbps-1 Gbps!"

Gene, I'm sure that the reps here would like to see this advert if you have it, or have a link to it. The speeds are up to 25Mbps, and even though you can get higher speeds, 1 Gbps is not in the realm of possibility for satellite. 

Highlighted
Freshman

Check your snail mail the ads come every week.

Highlighted

Yeah, I've never gotten one.  

When you get another one with the false information, perhaps you can take a picture of it to post it here, so the mods can deal with it if there's a problem. 

Highlighted
Sophomore

It can be confusing.

Typically those ads are from resellers or referrers who get paid if you sign up for one of the services that they refer you too.  So they will list, on the ad, the highest speed across all providers that they represent in any part of the planet.  When you dig in though, and actually enter the service address, you should only see the speeds available at that location.  If HughesNet is the fastest for your location, it should defintely not say that they can provide 1Gbps speeds.  I've never seen HughesNet advertise that speed and they don't have any such plans on their site or any of their FAQs suggesting that speed either.

For example: https://www.satelliteinternetnow.com/ is an Authorized HughesNet Retailer, but if they were also authorized to sell FIOS they may list FIOS speeds on their Ads or homepage because FIOS is faster depending on your location.  But once you enter your service location if FIOS isn't available then you should only see 25Mbps, or whatever the fastest speed at your location is.  Hope that helps clarify the advertisement part at least.

Highlighted
Freshman

2020-04-25_internet ad.jpg

Highlighted
Freshman

I tried to add text to the photo of the Ad for internet service, but did not know how. So I am replying in a new post.

Yes this ad is for Dish but there is no Dish internet in my area. So they sent out Hughes net.

Highlighted
Associate Professor

Note that it's not actually Dish either, but an 'authorized retailer' (basically a reseller). There's your clue.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Highlighted

The disclaimer area should be read too. 

@MarkJFine wrote:

Note that it's not actually Dish either, but an 'authorized retailer' (basically a reseller). There's your clue.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Thanks for posting that image, that's exactly the type of ad that we are talking about, and I totally understand how confusing or misleading that can be. 

As others have noted, that is a Dish Reseller.  Dish probably bundles their TV service with various internet providers (I don't think Dish does internet on their own), so depending on where you live, you could have access to different providers that are Dish partners.  If they can bundle you with a terrestial provider, then you probably can pay for 1Gbps speed, but if your only option is satelite, that speed will not be available to you.

Highlighted
Freshman

Ok, so you are saying that I should be happy that HughesNet provides me with a normal range of speeds between 16 Kbps and 500Kbps, because that is the best that HughesNet can do? And yes the speed is K not M. I would be happy with even 1 Mbps which I only see when I am downloading the useless speed test data. Sometimes even HughesNet web site takes minutes to download and some websites never download, they just time out. Even though I was looking at a Dish ad I have to pay a HughesNet bill. Are you telling me that HughesNet can not provide me anything better than 500 Kbps?