Super Slow Download Speeds

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CMcIntire
Freshman

Super Slow Download Speeds

We are continually getting slow speeds. I have called several times for assistance, been upgraded to advanced tech support most of the time and it still doesn't fix it for more than a couple hours. We have also had 2 different techs out to no avail.

Currently, I'm trying to download a 362 MB file...at a whole 9.6 kb/s. This is really ridiculous. We go to testmy.net and get 1 MB down and 20 or 30 MB up. I dunno if a wire got crossed somewhere, but our upload speed is consistently faster than our download speed by a lot. Why can't this get fixed? What can I do to fix it that we haven't done already?
34 REPLIES 34
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

CMcintire,

That's because it's 15Mbps, not 15MBps.  Megabits, not megabytes.  HughesNet doesn't provide anything near 15MBps, nor do they calculate their speed in MBps.  The equivalent of 15MBps would be 120Mbps.  

But, the reason I asked you if it was a Microsoft download is because Microsoft can be VERY picky when it comes to HughesNet.  I don't know if it's the latency or what, but I've had, in the recent past, files take a VERY long time to download from them.  One time I had a 600+ update take over 27 hours, while the speed I had was in the high 20Mbps range.  I've had 30MB updates for Defender (on my seldom used notebook) take a half hour.  Microsoft sometimes just doesn't like HughesNet, but again, I don't know why.

It's possible that other companies' servers are just as picky.  I know that people that have Apple products sometimes have VERY slow downloads from Apple's servers, as well.  

Edit:  With that said, the slow downloads from Microsoft don't happen all the time.  Much of the time they are very quick, like they should be.  

Ok, that makes sense, but it's not uniformly slow or fast based on different companies. Sometimes, it's just fine and the rest of the time, it's slow like this. If 90% of the websites I frequent are extremely slow 90% of the time, then how does that work out right? It honestly acts like it is throttled until we call about half the time and the other half, the help given is essentially, turn it off, turn it back on. Still not fixed? Turn it off, turn it back on. Still not fixed? Advanced tech...turn it off, turn it back on. Rinse and repeat until we get upgraded to a tech or to engineering who if they call back, turn it off, turn it back on... Most of the phone call is me running speed tests.
GabeU

CMcIntire,

I was only bringing this up as a possibile reason why your Microsoft download was going so incredibly slowly while testmy.net is showing your speed to be much higher than the download time would indicate.  

But, with that said, if you can post your testmy.net results URL, it would help, especially regarding the upload speeds being much higher than the download speeds, as you explained in your original post.  

Being that you've already run some Hughesnet speed tests, they can look at them, too, but you don't need to post them as those can be access on their end.  With that said, though, as Corrosive explained, those tests not matching could be due to congestion, or just Hughes' test being wonky.  I've found that when I run Hughes' speed test the results are usually pretty close to testmy.net's, but when they aren't they tend to be widly off.    

I plan to post those results...as soon as I can get registered. At this point, I still cannot get registered, so cannot post the results.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

If you would like, instead of creating an account (though it's highly recomended for your personal records, and to make tracking your issues easier) when you do the manual test, you can click on "Share this result" then click on "Result URL" and post each individual test.  Just note, you will have to do that for each and every test.

I have notified the testmy.net administrators of the email issue for account registration.

GabeU

@CMcIntire wrote:
I plan to post those results...as soon as I can get registered. At this point, I still cannot get registered, so cannot post the results.

That's right.  I apologize.  I had forgotten about you not being able to create the account right now due to an issue at testmy.  It's been a LONG day (been up since 2AM).  

Here is the result of the first test I was able to run tonight.

http://testmy.net/db/yHS2qE4Kd

GabeU

CMcIntire,

It looks like you had a few from earlier, as well, and even though they don't reflect the much lower speed you are seeing in the evening they will still be helpful.  Evidently they were still included, even though you were not able to verify your account at the time.  

This is the link that will allow the reps to see all of your test results.   http://testmy.net/quickstats/ceraandrob

Thanks Gabe. Nice to know that it is tracking it even if I can't do anything with the account. Latest test was 1.8 Mb/s average.

Good morning CMcIntire,

Thank you for running the tests, we'll include this on our list to engineering. Once we have any updates to share I'll post back.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Is there an update as to the status? Two weeks now with no word and the internet is still horribly slow when we use it.

Good morning CMcIntire,

Thanks for checking in, we don't have any relevant updates from engineering. Please check your private messages in the top right corner of the community page as I've sent you a PM to further address your concerns.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

@CMcIntire wrote:
I would love to register, test and post the results, but I cannot get a confirmation email to my inbox on any of my email accounts. Resent the email multiple times, tried changing the email to different accounts and nothing. Have any suggestions for that?

Well, that's not good.  Hopefully they'll have it fixed soon.  Testmy.net is usually quite reliable. The last time I remember them having a similar issue was about six or seven months ago.  Again, hopefully they'll have it fixed, pronto.