Did you mean: 

Super Slow Download Speeds

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Re: Super Slow Download Speeds

jmogey
Sophomore

I would likw to offer a suggestion to those who respond to issues of slow download speeds to refrain from protocols Hughesnet has for testing download speeds. The kind of download speeds many of us are experiencing are orders of magnitude from what we should be expecting. We're not complaining about 15Mbps, but 1M and less. Less official speak will lead to a better sense of being heard. Right now I'm ready to scream because I do not believe I am being heard and every time I have to spend an hour on download tests for the umpteenth time with tech leaves me with the belief that Hughesnet won't believe me (and goodness, they have my file!).

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@CMcIntire wrote:
I would love to register, test and post the results, but I cannot get a confirmation email to my inbox on any of my email accounts. Resent the email multiple times, tried changing the email to different accounts and nothing. Have any suggestions for that?

Well, that's not good.  Hopefully they'll have it fixed soon.  Testmy.net is usually quite reliable. The last time I remember them having a similar issue was about six or seven months ago.  Again, hopefully they'll have it fixed, pronto.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
GabeU

@jmogey wrote:

I would likw to offer a suggestion to those who respond to issues of slow download speeds to refrain from protocols Hughesnet has for testing download speeds. The kind of download speeds many of us are experiencing are orders of magnitude from what we should be expecting. We're not complaining about 15Mbps, but 1M and less. Less official speak will lead to a better sense of being heard. Right now I'm ready to scream because I do not believe I am being heard and every time I have to spend an hour on download tests for the umpteenth time with tech leaves me with the belief that Hughesnet won't believe me (and goodness, they have my file!).

The speed tests requested are required to address speed issues. Speed issues can be caused by a variety of things, and the speed tests not only verify the issue, but the patterns and other info collected can help point to possible causes.  In addition, what is causing speed issues for you may not be what is causing speed issues for someone esle.  

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
CMcIntire
Freshman

I think it is pretty obvious I'm having speed issues when I have a download never reaching above 20 kb/s for 6 hours, though and averages between 5-10 mb/s. Even without a speed test. It's ridiculous that I pay for the "faster and better" internet speeds with Gen5 and cannot download a 350 MB file in less than 8 hours. When I run the Hughes Net speed test, I'm averaging between .3 and 1.3 mb/s. Which really makes me question the validity of the testmy.net speed test as when I run it at the 25 MB file size, it claims 20-30 MB/s. How come there is such a huge difference when they are run within minutes of each other? I'm more inclined to believe the Hughes Net speed test as that is my actual experience when downloading files AND it comes from the actual provider, not a third party website.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Because the Hughesnet speedtest server is most likely overloaded?
Users cried and complained, "but the Hughes test is too favorable and can cheat!!!" so testmy.net was adopted as the standard here in the community.

CMcIntire
Freshman

Ok, but what I'm saying is that my experience mimics the HughesNet speed test. The download I spent all day on yesterday should have taken less than 30 seconds at even 15 MB/s. We started it at 10:30 am and it didn't finish until 9:30 pm. I'm approximating 6-8 hours of actual download time as it would stop off and on for some time making zero progress and showing 0 kb/s download. This happens off and on continually with no solution, apparently. I've called tech support, run speed tests, turned on and off my equipment, changed frequencies, had basic and advanced tech support help to no avail, as well as engineering and even 2 different techs. Still having issues with it being slow.
GabeU

CMcintire,

Just out of curiosity, your download doesn't happen to be something from Microsoft, does it?  

And actually, though not that it really matters, a 362MB file at a constant 15Mbps would take about 3:30.  

CMcIntire
Freshman

The download was Microsoft office. But, the speeds are often slow enough that we get disconnected from Everquest...that can be run on dial up speeds.

I'd really like to see your math where 15 MB/s means it takes 210 seconds to download a 352 MB file...my mathe tells me that's less than a minute, but that wasn't my point. It should not have taken 6 hours to do so. I've downloaded that same file using a different service provider and had it done in much less than 5 minutes. If it were something that rarely happened, i wouldn't enjoy it, but it wouldn't be a huge deal. But this is constantly slowed down and it seems to me that it is throttled much of the time. It started out just being during peak hours off and on, but we can't even get a small file to download between 2 am and 8 am during our Bonus Bytes. Most of the time, the connection is so slow that it cancels or corrupts the download and we have to start over. It's very, very frustrating.
GabeU

CMcintire,

That's because it's 15Mbps, not 15MBps.  Megabits, not megabytes.  HughesNet doesn't provide anything near 15MBps, nor do they calculate their speed in MBps.  The equivalent of 15MBps would be 120Mbps.  

But, the reason I asked you if it was a Microsoft download is because Microsoft can be VERY picky when it comes to HughesNet.  I don't know if it's the latency or what, but I've had, in the recent past, files take a VERY long time to download from them.  One time I had a 600+ update take over 27 hours, while the speed I had was in the high 20Mbps range.  I've had 30MB updates for Defender (on my seldom used notebook) take a half hour.  Microsoft sometimes just doesn't like HughesNet, but again, I don't know why.

It's possible that other companies' servers are just as picky.  I know that people that have Apple products sometimes have VERY slow downloads from Apple's servers, as well.  

Edit:  With that said, the slow downloads from Microsoft don't happen all the time.  Much of the time they are very quick, like they should be.