cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manders79
New Poster

Super Slow Internet

Hello!

I am experiencing extremely slow internet speeds. I keep buying tokens because it feels like I am being throttled but I see no difference!

I am barely able to send an email. No gaming and can’t even watch Netflix. Not exaggerating - dial up speeds.

Can you please look into this for me? I have an internet business and honestly can’t even complete what I need to do.

I am really looking for assistance and advice. THANK YOU for helping me. I truly appreciate it and looking into this timely.

Mandy
14 REPLIES 14
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@manders79

Tokens are only utilized if you are actually out of your plan data and being throttled.  Is this the case?   When you click on the following link, are both boxes at the top of the page green?  http://192.168.0.1/#!/usage  Are you seeing data available under Anytime Data?  

Are you seeing any State Codes listed on the following page?  http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/state_code/state_code_monitor

@GabeU
Yes. Both lights are green. I am burning through mbps and not streaming ANYTHING. I feel like it’s burning through as it’s working so hard to load something basic like my email. Not joking it sometimes takes minutes and/or times out.

There are no current codes but the 2 listed are:
11.3.1 and 24.1.1

I appreciate your help

I need this addressed ASAP please. It is taking 55 seconds to load a page and I am utilizing my cell phone service to get faster internet. I pay for faster service than this. Please help
GabeU

@manders79

Sorry I haven't responded.  I lost my power yesterday due to the snowstorm in the northeast and it just came back on this morning.  

The 24.1.1 state code indicates throttling of your service, but buying tokens will reset that, which you have done.  If you're not streaming, which is normally the activity that people perform that burns through a ton of data, something else is going on to chew through your data.    

11.3.1 means "FLL is not locked", which sounds like a connection issue, but something like that can be caused by weather, and it should have only been temporary.  

What devices do you have connected to your HughesNet service?  Additionally, and specifically, do you have a satellite TV receiver connected to HughesNet, and even more specifically, a DirecTV receiver?  

Do you have anything that's connecting to the iCloud or Microsoft's OneDrive service.  Either of these cloud services can use a lot of data, as well.  

If we can't figure out what's chewing through your data, we'll then get the reps involved.  They're on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST.  

Edit:  Additionally, anything draining your data will cause anything else you do with the service to be slowed, as your bandwidth is already being utilized by whatever it is that is draining the data.  

Thanks for following up.

Yes. I recently bought more tokens and got some snow, so that is to be expected. I have Dish and will see if it is connected but I haven’t been able to stream Netflix Through it since I started service so I doubt it. But I’ll double check.

I do have Apple products - phones, mac and laptop and probably have iCloud but not sure if it’s loading all of the time. Do you have advice on how to check that?

I am actually having to use my iphone data right now to access this site. Boo. It’s really bad.

I appreciate your help

GabeU

Unfortunately, I'm not very familiar with Apple products.  A few things that can use data, and sometimes quite a bit, are syncing between devices, updates, and the iCloud.  I'm not really sure how to check the iCloud to see if it's on and active, but if you figure out how to check it on your phone and mac, I would turn it off.  One thing is for sure, though, and that is that one or more of your devices is chewing through your data.  If you're not streaming and not really doing much of anything that's data intensive, there is no way you should be running out of data like you are.  I'd be willing to bet it's the devices using the either using the cloud or getting updates, or your Dish Network receiver being connected and using data.  

But, with this said, the first thing I would try is disconnecting your Dish Network receiver from HughesNet if it is, in fact, connected to HughesNet.  I know that Dish Network receivers tend to use less data than DirecTV receiver, but they're both recommended against being connected to HughesNet because the data they can use, even when you're not watching anything On Demand, can be substantial, and it can't be controlled.   Since you haven't been able to stream anything it may not be.  DirecTV's will let you know right off the bat that it's not even connected, so if you are able to even connect to Netflix through it, it may very well be connected.  

I'm trying to remember who our resident "expert" is with mac products.  I think it's @MarkJFine, though he hasn't been on in week.  If not, with the reps being back on Monday they may be able to help with the settings on Apple devices and how to check if they're using the cloud.  

Sorry I can't be of much help with the Apple products, but someone will be.  Again, though, I'd check that Dish Network receiver, and if connected, disconnect it.  I'm not sure how that goes with Dish Network and WiFi, but there should be some way to disconnect it from the WiFi, whether entering incorrect SSID or password info, or using a built in disconnect option (DirecTV doesn't have one in their receivers (they like to make it difficult 😛 )).  If it is connected and you disconnect it, I'd be willing to bet that you'll see your data usage drop considerably.  

I disconnected Dish - I could stream anyway and hoped it was my magic ticket. It wasn’t

I also cleaned my mac and turned off iCloud services that were not necessary. I’m still at a loss. Please advise

@manders79wrote:
I also cleaned my mac and turned off iCloud services that were not necessary. I’m still at a loss. Please advise

I use only mac products and have never had any trouble streaming UNTIL I signed my CONtract with HughesNet.  I have verizon wireless and at another location I have the option of 2 more internet providers.  I have another year in my CONtract.  It plainly says no speeds are guaranteed.  

I have no other options.
GabeU

@manders79

To narrow it down, now that you've disconnected the Dish Network receiver and turned off iCloud, what is it that you are still exepriencing?  

Slow speeds?  Data drain?  Both?  

Both but most concerned about speed. I tried to do a work internet call and it didn’t work. The service was saying my connection was “too slow” to participate. It said I was running 1.5 mbps. I had bought new tokens prior. I need help please
GabeU

@manders79

Though I know it's annoying, in order for the reps to help with speed issues they're going to need a few speed test results, and from speed tests run a certain way.  These speed test results will give them the info they need to help determine what might be causing the speed issues.  The following lays out the protocol for the tests...

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns you should create a testmy.net account and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Make sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking SSID Enable for each radio individually, as unchecking all four, then clicking "Save Settings", will not hold the settings.  

Good morning manders79,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!