Hughesnet Community

Super Slow speeds download on Netflix

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adamsbooth

Super Slow speeds download on Netflix

When download movies from netflix download speeds drop to 1-2. Worked lightning fast when we got Hughes. A day after install any time of day or night the speed drops on all devices. Not netflix as download fast normal when doing from another network or location. And downloading from iTunes or movies I own no problem. I Read that Hughes is downgrading speed because it thinks netflix is something dangerous. No tech had been able to fix. It makes it impossible to download in the free zone which is what Hughes suggests doing to safe data useages. Really upsetting. Streaming from netflix is fast and no problem. Please help. Same problem on Hughes in house next door, on different devices so it's not unique to my system of location.
5 REPLIES 5
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Adamsbooth

First, creating one post about an individual issue is all that is needed.   People will see it.  

Okay, to the issue.  Are you saying that when you stream Netflix, your remaining bandwidth for other activities is lower than what it once was, at around 1Mbps - 2Mbps.  You mentioned that streaminig Netflix is fast and no problem, so it's the other activities that you are trying to do simultaneously that have a problem?

Your description of your issue is a little confusing, so I'm assuming what is stated above is what you are referring to.   

As for Hughesnet "downgrading speed because it thinks netflix is something dangerous," I don't know where you read this or heard this, but it's not at all true.  They aren't throttling anyone, and they surely don't think Netflix is something "dangerous."  

I think you know he is telling the truth. Hughsnet is most definitely controlling the download speed of the Netflix Movie download feature. I however, do not understand why. It is not competing with Hugsnet. Why do they slow it so badly? Yet when I try to use my FREE 50 Gig download from  1 to 8 am< I cannot because Hughsnet slows the Netflix download to a crawl. At first it was fast when I signed up. As soon as the trial period was up however, Most of my down load speeds went to a crawl. Yet my speed tests indicate fast speed. Very deceiving. It becomes obvious rather quickly that the sites providing speed tests are passed through un-throttled. It is also quite easy to compare the packets coming in from Netflix to the ones moving through a speed test. Hmmm. Further adding to the facts, I have three IP's only Hughsnet does this. On my other two providers, the download is as fast as the connection is running. Please don't further insult your customers by claiming they are not. I will not get into an Internet argument on this. The facts are well known. Google it.

I will not be renewing. They got my money for two years.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@bmorgil

As stated in the other thread, assumptions, whether by one person or many, are not facts.  Hughes is not throttling the speeds of any individual sites, nor throttling the overall service, save for when one is in FAP or when one has the Videa Data Saver turned on.  

Update: I have a new record. I am still downloading (in standard definition) 541 mb from Netflix. It is a new record... we are at 3 hours and we are half way! Wow this is as bad as it gets. At 5 hours I think I will drive down to the coffee shop. They have cable. It takes a few minutes there.

This is fun. Run this app on your android while you have it hooked to your router. "Internet speed meter lite app". It allows you to see the speed of each app as it is using bandwidth. HaHa.. Netflix is soo throttled it is at the slowest speeds shown! All my other apps run right at 15 or better. Very interesting indeed!

Hi bmorgil,

If you do not have an up to date thread going on, we recommend doing that so we can discuss what is going on. I have not done a full diagnostic on your system but I do see that you have 9 devices connected to Wi-Fi right now. I am unsure if you have run out of data but it might be a good idea to eliminate some of the devices that are connected, double check your streaming quality is in line with whether you have Video Data saver on or off and create a post for yourself so that we can start off with that information.

Thanks

Amanda