cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Slow

uh
Freshman

Re: Super Slow

No, I changed it. It is reccomended by them to change it.

uh
Freshman

Re: Strange Service visit

A guy came over yesterday No one called to set up time again. I asked him what phone number he had. He had 2 numbers. The first one was from Virgin mobile that I have not used for a long time, It is not listed in my accouts either. But this guy had ID around his neck this time so I let him in. He looked at the modem and accessed wifi on hIs phone without me telling him the password. His ookla speeds were much faster than mine but I don't think he was even using my system. If he had no modem password how could he? He did a speed tests using ookla. His phone way faster than my computer. But again I don't think he was using my modem. He left saying he needs to go home and think about it then call. He never called.

Hi,

I am going to merge both your threads into your original so we don't have to post in two places for the same problem Smiley Happy I've sent the latest update back to management and provided the 625 number. Worst comes to worst, you and I can schedule a date and time and I will have them adhere to it. 

Thanks

Amanda

uh
Freshman

I got a call Thursday morning and a tech was here less than an hour later. He  installed a bigger dish and said he also was loading some software. The "new" dish appears to be aimed at a different part of the sky. He explained he is not accessing my router but just the network. So the respose time on his phone would of course be different than from my computer. I have no idea what the problem  really is, but I think the problem seems to have to do with the router as I saw what seemed like slight speed impovements yesterday but this morning my download speeds are less than 1ms.

https://testmy.net/rt/dquinn618?miq=1&isp=hughes_network_systems

Assistant Professor

@uh wrote:

I got a call Thursday morning and a tech was here less than an hour later. He  installed a bigger dish and said he also was loading some software. The "new" dish appears to be aimed at a different part of the sky. He explained he is not accessing my router but just the network. So the respose time on his phone would of course be different than from my computer. I have no idea what the problem  really is, but I think the problem seems to have to do with the router as I saw what seemed like slight speed impovements yesterday but this morning my download speeds are less than 1ms.

https://testmy.net/rt/dquinn618?miq=1&isp=hughes_network_systems

That is latency result, not speed, and it looks good.

Distinguished Professor III

@uh 

Your "Response Time", which is your latency, is fine and always has been.  Regarding your speed, they will need more than one speed test run in order to know whether there is a problem.

Also, please be sure to run the speed tests using a LAN cable connected device and with the WiFi disabled.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
uh
Freshman

The router seems to be the problem. When using the LAN cable speeds seem fine. But not 30' away, through the thin walls of a trailer, the wifi speeds are dismal.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/dquinn618

Sophomore

@uh wrote:

The router seems to be the problem. When using the LAN cable speeds seem fine. But not 30' away, through the thin walls of a trailer, the wifi speeds are dismal.

https://testmy.net/quickstats/dquinn618

This is a very significant find as it indicates interference. There are many causes of interference to Wi-Fi such as microwave ovens, cordless phones, and weather radar in the 5GHz band. However, the worst interference comes from your neighbors Wi-Fi.

If using the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, there are only three independent channels: 1, 6, and 11. Although there are 11 channels (each 5Mhz wide) in the US to choose from, a Wi-Fi signal is 20MHz wide and so actually uses several channels at once.

When set to channel 1, you are actually using channels 1, 2, and 3. Setting to channel 6 uses channels 4,5,6,7,8. Setting your Wi-Fi to channel 11 uses channels 9,10, and 11.

If your Wi-Fi is set to a channel that overlaps your neighbor setting, the interference and cross talk will greatly reduce your Wi-Fi performance. There is also an option for 40MHz wide Wi-Fi in the 2.4GHz range, but it will not activate if you have a neighbor Wi-Fi signal above a certain db level, as this essentially hogs two thirds of the Wi-Fi spectrum for 2.4GHz.

You can get Wi-Fi Analyzer (it is a free download) for your phone/tablet, or for a Windows PC, Acrylic Home (also a free download). These will show the channels being used by your neighbors.

By default, the Wi-Fi will try to change channels to avoid others, but if you have more than two Wi-Fi routers broadcasting in range you can get a musical chairs effect where one moves, pushing the others to move which kills performance.

The best strategy is to talk with the neighbors and each setup their router to use each channel in turn 1, 6, 11. If you have enough neighbors you may be forced to share a channel, but it is better for two routers to share the same channel than it is to use an overlapping channel. In other words, it is better for both to be channel 1 than it is to be channel 1 and the other channel 3. The Wi-Fi routers can traffic cop when they are both exactly the same channel to share the bandwidth, but the overlapping channel just causes random interference

Some rough numbers for performance to expect for 2.4GHz Wi-Fi:

Class N, 40MHz, no interference: 50Mbps+

Class N, 20MHz, no interference: 27Mbps

Class G, 20MHz, little interference: 18-23Mbps

Two overlapped Wi-Fi on the same channel share the same bandwidth so the numbers above are split between the two routers.

Two overlapped Wi-Fi on different, but overlapping channels, with both routers pushing data can force performance down to 800Kbps!

If you find there are many Wi-Fi within 800 feet of you, you may consider not using Wi-Fi.

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor III

@uh 

If you have an Android device or an Apple device, you can download the HughesNet Mobile app from Google Play or the App Store, respectively.  It has a WiFi Guage, which can help to determine if the signal from your HT2000W HughesNet modem is adequate at the location of your home that you normally use your device.  It's very basic, but it can help.   

As well, you can try moving your device closer to the modem to see if the speed, in comparison to a LAN connected device, improves.  If so, it's likely a WiFi signal problem.  

Additionally, if you're currently using the 2.4Ghz band and your device is capable of connecting via the 5Ghz band, you can try changing to that.  The 5Ghz band is less susceptible to signal interference, though the signal range isn't as good.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

After reading this entire thread, I have one question.....why don't the techs that come to install the equipment go through these processes to ensure that when they leave, the customer is experiencing a proper speed (as promised by the sales team)???  Why must HughesNet make their customers jump through all these hoops...make multiple calls to tech support...have to join a community to get educated....etc.  Seems simple enough to me.  I was not at home when my service was installed -- it was just my husband, who is pretty technically challenged.  The rep said "see if you can get on the internet"...so my husband whipped out his iphone (which was not even connected to HughesNet - just ATT data) and said "yup" and the guy left!  Wth?!?  Who does that???  I recognize that my husband was foolish, but he's not schooled in these things and although he probably should have known better, he did not.

@GabeU @MrBuster