cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Slow

Distinguished Professor III

Re: Strange Service visit

@lorrie wrote:

After reading this entire thread, I have one question.....why don't the techs that come to install the equipment go through these processes to ensure that when they leave, the customer is experiencing a proper speed (as promised by the sales team)???   

One main reason.  Because it can take hours for the system to be fully up and running, as in the modem downloading any needed software upgrades and the system doing what it needs to do in order to be fully "ready", so to speak.  They can't wait around for this.  

All the techs can verify before they leave is that one can get on the net, which they do.

As well, most installation techs aren't qualified to troubleshoot and fix a system. The installation techs are primarily trained only to do installations.  

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Freshman

Thank you...but that is a flawed approach and is disturbing..especially since the tech support people that I spoke to were anything but helpful.  Since installation about 36 hours ago, my husband and I have spent about 12 hours on the phone with tech support or doing speed tests or posting in this community.  Don't you think that's a little ridiculous?  If this can't get resolved in the next few days, the cancellation fee (should they force that upon us, despite being told by sales that it would be waived if the service did not meet the "sales pitch") will actually be saving us money...

@lorrie 

Well, it's the most economically feasible approach.  I'm sure a tech could stay for hours and make sure everything's okay if the customer is willing to pay a few hundred dollars for such.  Being that I doubt that's the case, it's the only possible approach.   

You're experiencing an issue that will be attended to by the reps, and the speed tests are needed to denonstrate that issue.  They can't be done by installation techs for the stated reasons.  Nor are they going to send techs to do such, for various reasons.  When a problem occurs all companies expect at least a small level of troubleshooting by the customer to start the process of getting help.  It's nothing new.  When you have a problem with your computer, they ask you to do a few things.  When you have a problem with your satellite TV or cable TV, they ask you to do a few things.  When you have a problem with your landline phone service, they ask you to do a few things.  If you have a problem with a thermostat, they're going to ask you to do a few things.  When you have a speed issue with an internet service, they're going to ask for a few tests to demonstrate it.

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Highlighted
Freshman

@GabeU I don't disagree about doing some simple troubleshooting...I did that for a full hour last night on the phone with a tech support person.  But of course he couldn't solve the problem.  How long do you recommend a brand new customer deal with such performance issues?  Days?  Weeks?  Months?  Or until the contract runs out?  I'm used to getting what I pay for...and I am paying for 25mbps but only getting that for a fraction of a second every hour or so.  That's not acceptable to me.  Is it acceptable to you?

Freshman

From their own website...false advertising at it's finest.  "Available to anyone, anywhere, coast to coast"....except for me and about 100 other people who's posts I've read today! Smiley Happy

How fast is HughesNet Gen5?
HughesNet Gen5 is faster than ever – 25 Mbps download and 3Mbps Upload – and is available to anyone, anywhere, coast-to-coast.

@lorrie wrote:

@GabeU I don't disagree about doing some simple troubleshooting...I did that for a full hour last night on the phone with a tech support person.  But of course he couldn't solve the problem.  How long do you recommend a brand new customer deal with such performance issues?  Days?  Weeks?  Months?  Or until the contract runs out?  I'm used to getting what I pay for...and I am paying for 25mbps but only getting that for a fraction of a second every hour or so.  That's not acceptable to me.  Is it acceptable to you?

Oh, months, at least.   A few hours, a few months, what's the difference, right?  

I'm done with this.  Do what you will.  Good luck to you.  

uh
Freshman

Meanwhile...

uh
Freshman

@uh wrote:

https://testmy.net/quickstats/dquinn618

Please be sure to use the correct sizes when testing.  25MB for download tests and 4MB for upload tests.  Tests using other sizes don't help the reps/engineers.

Hello,

We do really want to see the results you receive using the appropriate test sizes, this is very important for us in the escalation process as smaller file sizes won't reflect sustained speeds. I still have your case open so if you can provide the corrected test results, this will get the case moving along faster.

Thanks,

Amanda