cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Slow

uh
Freshman

Super Slow

My internet has been super slow for a couple weeks. All diagnostic testing I have done show the system within your parameters, ie. green checks. Here is a 25mb download screenshot from testmy.net that I used because it was suggested by someone there. This is taken early in the morning. Daytime speeds are even slower. I have tried repositioning the modem. Nothing any different. I did a reboot from the modem admin. Nothing.I  have also tried unplugging the system from the wall and letting everything cool for 10 minutes and replugging it. Nothing.....Screen shot won't paste. Using Linux , maybe that's why. But speed is 2.6ms.

21 REPLIES
Professor

Re: Super Slow

Could you post the link to your results page on Testmy?  That way you don't have to bother with individual screenshots.   The link would look lilke this: https://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

Since the issue has been going on for the last couple of weeks, it may be related to the holiday slowdown.  That doesn't help you at all, I know, and it may not be that, but it's possible, as we all experience this slowdown during the holidays (I just measured my speed and it was also 2.6 Mbps).    

In any case, a HN rep can check things from their side too to see if they see anything amiss and go from there.  Here's hoping your issue gets resolved soon. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@uh wrote:

....................Screen shot won't paste. Using Linux , maybe that's why. ..............

I'm using Linux Mint 18.3.  I save the screen shot as a file, then in the message editor here,  I click on the "Photos" tab, "Choose Files" and then browse to the file I want to paste.  

qaz
New Poster

Mine is very, very slow most of the time. My 3g phone is faster and cheaper. Hughes net should figure out like China, all high speed access to everyone no slow downs.In this great country why do we have to behind even a lot of third world countries in communications on internet.

@qaz wrote:

Mine is very, very slow most of the time.

I've been with Hughes  almos fifteen years now, and have never had any trouble with speed.  Well, except back in the Drectway days, when the data limit was by the day, and they would throttle you down to dial up speeds if you exceeded it.

A lot of people posting here do have speed problem though.  I guess I'm just lucky.  I do get the feeling that the Hughes sales people are misrepresenting speed capabilities to customers though. 

........... Hughes net should figure out like China, all high speed access to everyone no slow downs.In this great country why do we have to behind even a lot of third world countries in communications on internet.

I would be surprised if we are behind.  Hughes is working on gateways to support low orbit internet satellites. 

right now.  Hopefully, we're all in for a pleasant surprise when low orbit internet technology is implemented.

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity!

Lazarus Long

My internet has been slow for a long time. Third time calling today & still the run around. These call center's are out of country & never fix anything, just delays & bs. According to the tech. which is only some person in a call center, sending out a repairman wouldn't fix the problem so I'll be looking for other options.
Professor

I think it would benefit you if you started your own topic under Tech Support. Each topic is like a ticket, and the HN reps like to address each issue individually.  Just post what's going on with your network/system and provide as much detail as you can.  Please be aware that you may be required to post some speed test results (from Testmy.net) or some other data to help the HN people diagnose what may be amiss with your system. 

*I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.

@41788ddww wrote:
My internet has been slow for a long time. Third time calling today & still the run around. These call center's are out of country & never fix anything, just delays & bs. According to the tech. which is only some person in a call center, sending out a repairman wouldn't fix the problem so I'll be looking for other options.

Distinguished Professor II

@qaz wrote:

Mine is very, very slow most of the time. My 3g phone is faster and cheaper. Hughes net should figure out like China, all high speed access to everyone no slow downs.In this great country why do we have to behind even a lot of third world countries in communications on internet.

Because ground based services don't think enough of rural customers to provide them with internet service.  While an ISP or two does, it's very costly to do so and the capacity of these systems is much smaller than that of the aforementioned ground based services.  If your speed is low all the time, please start a new topic and post links to your speed tests.  

BTW, China isn't like you imagine.  Internet is primarily provided only in urban areas.  Rural people in China are in pretty much the the same boat as rural people here, but probably even worse, as they may not have a satellite internet company available to them.  The penetration of internet in rural China is around 18.5%, and just over half of the country's population currently has access.   And that's not to say anything of their restrictions, which I won't discuss here, as it's not the appropriate place.   

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
uh
Freshman

https://testmy.net/results

46% slower than the US average 31.6 Mbps. It is a bit faster this morning.

Speed right now is 17.2 ms from testmy.net but I copied this from the results.Unacceptable. How is this even close to being worth paying $87 per month for? .

BTW, I thought this WAS a new topic.

Professor

Uh, your screenshot isn't rendering. Can you see it? (It may be my browser).  Edit: I see the link now, but it doesn't link to your account's results. The URL should look like this:  https://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername   (Sorry, I imagine all of this is really driving you up the wall, but it's needed to troubleshoot). 

What you posted is a new post.  By a new topic, I meant go to the Tech Support homepage and click the button labeled "Start a Topic."  Then post your issue details, the URL to your Testmy results page, etc.   This way, your particular issues are on their own "ticket." 

@uh wrote:

BTW, I thought this WAS a new topic,