Super slow , here we go again !!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Euni
New Poster

Super slow , here we go again !!

well, here we go again, have not been on here because HN is sooooo slow and complaining does not do much good, always the same answers.  About 6 month ago I had a go around re- Data loss, that has been ok, my account was monitored for about 4 weeks and all was well, soon after that  my  internet speed was super slow and has been like that until now, getting pretty tired of this. I have kept a DAILY log of my sign in, times and usage. Just today it took from 6.18am till 7:05 am to pay 2 bills online, getting thrown off twice, a confirmation email from Verizon took 6 minutes to receive. I update early in the morning  because it takes so long, Norton sec. updates 1 1/2 hrs. Yesterday Ctrl Ctr. status light was yellow for 2 hrs, I had NO access to satellite, I can go on and on, and that only in the last 6 month , I have been a customer of theirs for  about 4 1/2 yrs now and one would think service would have gotten better, oh NO,  HN is the worse provider ever. We have had great weather, clear skies. I took my computer to a friends house , she has cable, wow, that's what I call high speed. NOT like HN .  Also it does NOT matter what time I use my computer, it is always super slow. A 1 min. video takes 5 minutes to look at with  constant buffering. Again I have I desk top computer, no router or other devices, I am a senior just trying to keep in touch with the world, use FB, email, ebay and sometimes read a local paper online. other then that HN is useless, no games, movies, videos or anything else, Try sending a picture to  a friend, impossible . Emails... have to delete one at a time constant buffering and when I click on the email to delete it,  it opens , not good. Trying to get to the email is another thing, have to try 2 and 3 times, That is HN. I tell anyone  that is looking for a provider to stay away from HN. A neighbor up the road was told  to get special adapters etc. which they did ($300.00) they have HN, it did nothing.  All the complaining does no good, first 3 month were great, after that HN only wants your money. My son has EXCEDE next door, been monitoring that so far so good, will switch to that in the near future if his  service stays as it has been ,  for less money too.  Well HN a very dissatisfied customer here.

150 REPLIES 150
Liz

Good morning Euni,

Thanks for posting, we'd like to help address your speed concerns. To get started, please follow the steps here to set up a testmy.net account and run speed tests so that we get a proper evaluation of your system performance:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/cant-use-the-hughesnet-speedtest-guide-for-testmy....

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Euni, if you haven't already done so, you should set up an account at testmy.net and do your speed tests using that account.  It will keep track of the tests so that they can be looked at by the reps or other people that could help.  It will help in being able to see patterns that may be useful in determining what is going on.   
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

We must have seen the post at the same time.  LOL.  Yours is more informative than mine. 

Euni
New Poster

well, been on here  since 6:30am trying to post, no dice... tried to set up account with "testmynet" got message "not permitted to register, error code 2S272/1. This sucks, it is 7:03 am and I have accomplished nothing, I do not have the time or patience anymore,
Liz

Good morning Euni,

I see you're still on one of our legacy plans which only offers up to 1 Mbps in download speeds. What kind of activities are you trying to do online? At this point, with websites being more multimedia content heavy, everything may seem slow at 1 Mbps.

Are you at least able to run speed tests here? http://consumer.performancetests.hughesnet.com 

I won't be able to escalate your case up to our engineers without a baseline of your speeds.

Alternatively, we do have other plans that offer more speed for less than you're paying monthly. If you plug in your address here, you can see the plans available in your area: http://www.hughesnet.com/

Please note those are Gen 4 plans and will require Gen 4 equipment. You may also call in at 866.347.3292 to upgrade to Connect or Connect Pro, which are Gen 4 plans available on your HN9000 modem.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Euni
New Poster

Hello Liz, I was able to run 5 speed tests on  the link you posted.  I do not want GEN 4 , have enough holes on my roof already. All I do on my computer is email, IF I can get to it, delete email one at a time as it keeps buffering, ebay, unable to sell there as it times out, I get thrown off, to slow, read a paper, facebook and that's about it, that is ALL I CAN DO, sometimes I like to get a pattern from a website for crocheting, nearly impossible. NO gaming, NO videos, No Netflix, No life streaming, impossible. I do try to  pay a couple of bills online , which takes 30-45 minutes, try to order a prescription online, forget it, faster to call it in. ( I have to do mail order scripts)   and as I can see, I am not the only one with SLOW internet.  It was working fine last time I complained, was monitored for about 4 weeks by someone name Chris, received an  email from him, as soon as that was done, slow again , also I do most of my "computering" at 6-7 AM during free or bonus time.  
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Euni, if you are on the 7000s system it is slowly dying and most likely will not be supported at all for residential customers before long. In other words will have to upgrade eventually or totally lose satellite service. Things move on technology wise and the old stuff is eventually phased out.

My opinion, for what is worth, is that you will continue to experience up and down performance until the day it is totally shut down.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I used to have a 7000s on a Pro Plus plan, 475 MB per day @ 1.6 Mbps and roll over.
It worked well for my needs for years but a forced transponder change due to reduced leases put me in a spot of either change or drop it.

In the end I went to Gen4 HT1100 and it turned out to have been a good choice.
Had Spaceway3 been my only option . ... that would have been a different matter.

As BirdDog said, they are letting go of the 7000 systems as well they should.
Euni
New Poster

Hi, what is the 7000s system?
Euni
New Poster

Gwalk900, I think you helped me before. 5 month ago.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Is your modem black? If so, you are on the 7000s legacy system.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Euni,
Yes we spoke months ago.

Hughes has 3 different generations of equipment in use.

The oldest is a Ku band system that uses a DW6000 or a HN7000S modem. This system is the first "self hosted" system used by Hughes (then Direcway).
That system uses satellites that are not owned by Hughes . Hughes leases transponder frequency space at a rather high cost with very little performance capability. The speed and capacity is just not there in light of the way the Internet has changed. There are very few "simple" Web pages anymore.
The legacy 6000/7000 systems are just overwhelmed by all the ads and embedded media junk on the Web today.
If you couple that to the fact that Hughes is moving more users to the fewer remaining transponder space things just grind to a halt.
You have remember that Hughes has no control over those satellites ... they are old tech owned by others.

To that end Hughes commissioned a satellite to be built and launched.
That would have been Spaceway3, located at 95' W. It was put in orbit in August of 2007.
That satellite is wholly-owned by Hughes and all HN9000 modem systems are serviced by that bird.
It's performance was much better than the previous legacy systems and Hughes has more control .... after all, they own it.
It however is now getting old but is still in use, it just doesn't have the performance of the Gen4 Echostar17 "Jupiter" satellite that Hughes had built and launched in July 2012

The performance difference between the legacy 7000 system to the Spaceway3 HN9000 is dramatic. The difference to the Gen4 HT1100 is astounding.

You can tell which modem you have by looking at the modem or opening up the modems SCC by entering 192.168.0.1
Euni
New Poster

Hi Gwalk, my modem is HN9000 I assume I am on the spaceway3 satellite.  HN was installed Oct.2010.  Just did Norton Sec.Update only took 38 min. compare to the 1 1/2 hrs it usually takes. At present, all is well. ( Always after I post negative )   I will try speedtests again. Thanks for the info, btw how do you know all this stuff? 
Liz

Good morning Euni,

Glad to hear that all is well now. Thank you for running speed tests, they also show that you are getting more than twice your plan's offering in download speeds.

If ever you're getting speeds significantly lower than your plan's offering, which is up to 1 Mbps in download speeds, let us know so we can look into it. BirdDog and Gwalk's advice are very sound, they are long time customers who know a LOT about the ins and outs of the service, as you can tell. 

Thanks,
Liz

Euni
New Poster

ok, I am back, was gone for a few days. The HN speed tests ALWAYS show that everything is  fine. I finally was able to get on to Testmynet, that tells a different story. My original sign up contract states  I have  "Elite" daily data 500MB, I don't know what that means, but that is what the installer circled on my contract.  Liz, you are saying  that I am getting more then twice what I am supposed to be getting but there are plans that have more speed for less what I am paying, interesting and totally confusing.  As usual, all is well with HN and there is nothing wrong. How come its  running fine for the moment?  Yes BirdDog and Gwalk  are long time customers and so am I.  It is frustrating for what little I do on this computer to encounter so many problems and as one can see I am not the only one.  HN is NOT what it claims to be, HIGH SPEED.... forget that, it is slower then AOL dial up, and it is NOT MY computer . 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Euni, the plan you have really can't be considered as high speed. Up to 1 Mbps is not what HughesNet advertises as their "high speed" plans. As has already been said, if you want higher speeds then you have to upgrade to Gen4. The fact is the system and plan you are on is not capable of what you are expecting. It certainly will seem extremely slow compared to cable internet.

The speeds Liz posted above are actually over double what you're plan advertises. There is much more content in web pages these days than even a year ago. Do you have an ad blocker installed on your browser?

Notice under number 1 here it talks about 5 Mbps download speed being the lowest: http://www.hughesnet.com/learn-more/faq/speed/how-fast-is-hughesnet-broadband-internet-service-for-y...
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Actually changing just the plan on the 9000 to a gen4 plan can get them up to 5Mbps but if they are in the true gen4 footprint they would be much better off upgrading to a true gen4
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Yea Charles, still "Gen4" and not a legacy plan. Honestly don't think a 1 Mbps plan is much good for anything these days except getting email. A person really needs to tighten up their system and browser to make anything else even remotely usable let alone enjoyable.
Liz

Good morning Euni,

Yes, since you first joined, the available plans have changed. If you plug in your address here, you can see the plans available in your area: http://www.hughesnet.com/

-Liz

Euni
New Poster

just tried to write on here, it disappeared, My Data is disappearing too , was gone 1 week, from this AM at 403MB ( not 500) as usual, down to 167 at present, have not been able to get on here,  HN I don't care how many plans you have, FIX what I have, that's what you are getting paid for each month. I have just about had it Data at 107 and I have done nothing on here.