cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super slow , here we go again !!

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Super slow , here we go again !!

Gwalk900, I think you helped me before. 5 month ago.

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Is your modem black? If so, you are on the 7000s legacy system.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Euni,
Yes we spoke months ago.

Hughes has 3 different generations of equipment in use.

The oldest is a Ku band system that uses a DW6000 or a HN7000S modem. This system is the first "self hosted" system used by Hughes (then Direcway).
That system uses satellites that are not owned by Hughes . Hughes leases transponder frequency space at a rather high cost with very little performance capability. The speed and capacity is just not there in light of the way the Internet has changed. There are very few "simple" Web pages anymore.
The legacy 6000/7000 systems are just overwhelmed by all the ads and embedded media junk on the Web today.
If you couple that to the fact that Hughes is moving more users to the fewer remaining transponder space things just grind to a halt.
You have remember that Hughes has no control over those satellites ... they are old tech owned by others.

To that end Hughes commissioned a satellite to be built and launched.
That would have been Spaceway3, located at 95' W. It was put in orbit in August of 2007.
That satellite is wholly-owned by Hughes and all HN9000 modem systems are serviced by that bird.
It's performance was much better than the previous legacy systems and Hughes has more control .... after all, they own it.
It however is now getting old but is still in use, it just doesn't have the performance of the Gen4 Echostar17 "Jupiter" satellite that Hughes had built and launched in July 2012

The performance difference between the legacy 7000 system to the Spaceway3 HN9000 is dramatic. The difference to the Gen4 HT1100 is astounding.

You can tell which modem you have by looking at the modem or opening up the modems SCC by entering 192.168.0.1
Highlighted
New Poster

Hi Gwalk, my modem is HN9000 I assume I am on the spaceway3 satellite.  HN was installed Oct.2010.  Just did Norton Sec.Update only took 38 min. compare to the 1 1/2 hrs it usually takes. At present, all is well. ( Always after I post negative )   I will try speedtests again. Thanks for the info, btw how do you know all this stuff? 
Highlighted

Good morning Euni,

Glad to hear that all is well now. Thank you for running speed tests, they also show that you are getting more than twice your plan's offering in download speeds.

If ever you're getting speeds significantly lower than your plan's offering, which is up to 1 Mbps in download speeds, let us know so we can look into it. BirdDog and Gwalk's advice are very sound, they are long time customers who know a LOT about the ins and outs of the service, as you can tell. 

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted
New Poster

ok, I am back, was gone for a few days. The HN speed tests ALWAYS show that everything is  fine. I finally was able to get on to Testmynet, that tells a different story. My original sign up contract states  I have  "Elite" daily data 500MB, I don't know what that means, but that is what the installer circled on my contract.  Liz, you are saying  that I am getting more then twice what I am supposed to be getting but there are plans that have more speed for less what I am paying, interesting and totally confusing.  As usual, all is well with HN and there is nothing wrong. How come its  running fine for the moment?  Yes BirdDog and Gwalk  are long time customers and so am I.  It is frustrating for what little I do on this computer to encounter so many problems and as one can see I am not the only one.  HN is NOT what it claims to be, HIGH SPEED.... forget that, it is slower then AOL dial up, and it is NOT MY computer . 
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Euni, the plan you have really can't be considered as high speed. Up to 1 Mbps is not what HughesNet advertises as their "high speed" plans. As has already been said, if you want higher speeds then you have to upgrade to Gen4. The fact is the system and plan you are on is not capable of what you are expecting. It certainly will seem extremely slow compared to cable internet.

The speeds Liz posted above are actually over double what you're plan advertises. There is much more content in web pages these days than even a year ago. Do you have an ad blocker installed on your browser?

Notice under number 1 here it talks about 5 Mbps download speed being the lowest: http://www.hughesnet.com/learn-more/faq/speed/how-fast-is-hughesnet-broadband-internet-service-for-y...
Highlighted
New Poster

Actually changing just the plan on the 9000 to a gen4 plan can get them up to 5Mbps but if they are in the true gen4 footprint they would be much better off upgrading to a true gen4
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Yea Charles, still "Gen4" and not a legacy plan. Honestly don't think a 1 Mbps plan is much good for anything these days except getting email. A person really needs to tighten up their system and browser to make anything else even remotely usable let alone enjoyable.
Highlighted

Good morning Euni,

Yes, since you first joined, the available plans have changed. If you plug in your address here, you can see the plans available in your area: http://www.hughesnet.com/

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.