Super slow , here we go again !!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Euni
New Poster

Super slow , here we go again !!

well, here we go again, have not been on here because HN is sooooo slow and complaining does not do much good, always the same answers.  About 6 month ago I had a go around re- Data loss, that has been ok, my account was monitored for about 4 weeks and all was well, soon after that  my  internet speed was super slow and has been like that until now, getting pretty tired of this. I have kept a DAILY log of my sign in, times and usage. Just today it took from 6.18am till 7:05 am to pay 2 bills online, getting thrown off twice, a confirmation email from Verizon took 6 minutes to receive. I update early in the morning  because it takes so long, Norton sec. updates 1 1/2 hrs. Yesterday Ctrl Ctr. status light was yellow for 2 hrs, I had NO access to satellite, I can go on and on, and that only in the last 6 month , I have been a customer of theirs for  about 4 1/2 yrs now and one would think service would have gotten better, oh NO,  HN is the worse provider ever. We have had great weather, clear skies. I took my computer to a friends house , she has cable, wow, that's what I call high speed. NOT like HN .  Also it does NOT matter what time I use my computer, it is always super slow. A 1 min. video takes 5 minutes to look at with  constant buffering. Again I have I desk top computer, no router or other devices, I am a senior just trying to keep in touch with the world, use FB, email, ebay and sometimes read a local paper online. other then that HN is useless, no games, movies, videos or anything else, Try sending a picture to  a friend, impossible . Emails... have to delete one at a time constant buffering and when I click on the email to delete it,  it opens , not good. Trying to get to the email is another thing, have to try 2 and 3 times, That is HN. I tell anyone  that is looking for a provider to stay away from HN. A neighbor up the road was told  to get special adapters etc. which they did ($300.00) they have HN, it did nothing.  All the complaining does no good, first 3 month were great, after that HN only wants your money. My son has EXCEDE next door, been monitoring that so far so good, will switch to that in the near future if his  service stays as it has been ,  for less money too.  Well HN a very dissatisfied customer here.

150 REPLIES 150
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It wouldn't at all surprise me if something was updating on your computer using BITS.  Even after I would update everything manually on my stepfather's computer, it could, and often would, continue updating through BITS.  What it was updating, I couldn't tell you, as I could never figure it out.  Something is using your data.  The trick is to find out what it is. 
Liz

Good morning Euni,
To begin addressing your unidentified data usage concerns, please read the information here and follow the instructions: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/wheres-my-bytes-how-to-test-for-data-leaks

Then you may post your screenshots here in your thread.

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Euni
New Poster

was able to read your email, tried status meter, does NOT work as usual. Turned PC on tat 5:48 AM, was at 500MB . OFF, at 5:11pm PC Data at 396 going down and most likely nothing left.  I have been on vacation  and have been in and out for the last few days, nobody used my PC, no WIFI in case you are wondering, no routers, no TV on demand, no phone, I don't own a cell phone because I live in the country and can't get a signal. no router or any other Techie stuff, just ONE desktop PC. Lets see if I can send this???
Euni
New Poster

well it posted, now I can't get CTRL Center, most likely because it is out of data.
Euni
New Poster

data at 164, still no status meter, tried speed test, page cannot be displayed....etc.... whats the use..
Euni
New Poster

BTW... I downloaded the HN status meter the last time I had all these problems, it did not work then and does not work now. I am not a Techie and don't get half the stuff most of you are talking about. I checked  the HN speed on" testmynet" and it said 54% slower than average. So HN is not only super slow and now loosing DATA too, double whammy !!! Surprise... what am I paying for?????? To look at a blank screen ? very very frustrating !!
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Euni, why not just cancel? You aren't happy with current service and don't want to upgrade. I would cancel service if I felt the same way.

Honestly don't know what else to say or how to help you. My last post on this thread. Good luck and best wishes.

We've tried to give you help and suggestions but you seem to ignore them.

Your plan is not going to be a speed demon for sure. Especially legacy non-Gen4.

Liz, Official Rep
  • 5926 Posts
  •  1377 Reply Likes
Good morning Euni,
I see you're still on one of our legacy plans which only offers up to 1 Mbps in download speeds. What kind of activities are you trying to do online? At this point, with websites being more multimedia content heavy, everything may seem slow at 1 Mbps.
schelotti

Same as you Uni.  Here are my speed tests done today.  Had to buy tokens just to run the damn tests too!!!

05/22/2016 14:57:42    3018   192
05/22/2016 14:56:08    2660   107
05/22/2016 14:54:10    2743   154
05/22/2016 14:52:10    2705     95
05/22/2016 14:50:49    2948   182

Thought it would fix itself, but been like this for 3 weeks now.
Euni
New Poster

Bird Dog, why does it go from working to not working, runs good for 1-2 month then all this starts all over. I have tried all that was suggested, but HN is toooo slow to get anywhere. I got the status meter, does not work, didn't from the time I downloaded it month ago, got glasswire, suggestion from someone, after that it was running good. Took speed tests, they are fine Liz the rep says, getting more then I am supposed to. ???? yeah right.  I am not ignoring anybody, I have been away for 1 week, in and out for appointments and don't even want to look at anything on here because it is so frustrating. At my age I don't need that, on the other hand, cancelling is not that easy either, requires a lot of changes.  I could see if I had a lot of other equipment hooked up to this PC, but there is not, ONE lousy desktop. that's it. Again....I can only do the basics, email, some FB, some Ebay and read a paper and pay some bills. Per LIz Rep, upgrading requires new equipment and  that screw it up even more since they can't fix what I have. Others on Gen4 have similar problems, HN cannot handle or service existing customers, but advertise for more.  BTW data at 6:06 AM was at 374 , since I am writing this it is at 230 and that is all I have done. What am I supposed to do, since I cannot post the status meter that LIZ wants me to do.    
Euni
New Poster

tried, status meter don't work
Euni
New Poster

same here, I should upgrade they say... yeah more $$$$ more holes in the roof
Euni
New Poster

I unplugged HN9000   on 5/22/16 at 4:48PM, left it off all night. Data was at 101MB.  Reconnected at on 5/23/16  at 5:43 AM,  Data reloaded to 500MB. Used PC until 6:39 AM , Data still at 500MB  ,  shut down.  Turned on 8:02AM Data  at 466 MB. Statusmeter still does not work. Should I delete status meter and download it again?
Euni
New Poster

Data at 445, all I did was post here and read/deleted email.
Euni
New Poster

it is 8:25AM used PC 23 minutes.
Liz

Good morning Euni,

Alternately, you can check you usage in your System Control Center (SCC). In your web browser, go to http://www.systemcontrolcenter.com

You will find your usage here:

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Data at 445, all I did was post here and read/deleted email.

That's all you did that you KNOW of.

Again, there are PROGRAMS .... those you can see and there are PROCESSES ... those you are not going to "see" running but you will see their effect on your allowance.

They do not run all the time, they come and go.

That is what GlassWire is for ... to see what program ran and how much data it used AND what unseen background process ran and how much data they used.

So, what does GlassWire show for that defined period ?

I am going to post a screenshot of my GlassWire output for a period I will define.

So, by the numbers ......

(CLICK ON THE PICTURE FOR A LARGER IMAGE)

Follow these steps:

#1: SELECT THE "USAGE" TAB

#2: SELECT THE "APPS" BUTTON

#3: SELECT THE "WEEK" BUTTON

#4: MOVE THE "SLIDERS" TO DEFINE THE DESIRED PERIOD WITHIN THE WEEK

NOTE: The time and dates are in the "banner" near the top/center

#5: THE TOTAL OF ALL DATA USED DURING THE DEFINED PERIOD IS DISPLAYED INCLUDING UPLOAD AND DOWNLOAD

#6: A LIST OF ALL THE PROGRAMS AND ALL THE PROCESSES THAT USED DATA DURING THE DEFINED PERIOD.

The amount of data used is listed right after the program/process name

The biggest users are at the top.

In my example the top user for that period was Internet Explorer (browser) @78.1 MB used

followed by Thunderbird (email client program) @ 14.8 MB

Both of those are "programs" ... I can "see" them open on my desktop .. I know they are running, I just don't know how much data they used until I call up a report from GlassWire.

The next user in my list is Avast Service .... this is associated with my anti-virus program and this is a "background" process that ran (in addition the anti-virus program itself) and I would not have been aware of the data used by this process without looking GlassWire but known or unknown, it still hit my data allowance for 10.7 MB.

As to your speeds, You have a "legacy" service with an max "up to" of 1 Mbps.

System loading including the satellite, beams and individual Gateways are going to vary ...

Usually Hughes tries for 60% or better of max plan speed but this is not always possible.

Regardless of your "data throughput" at a given instant ... if you are getting 1Mbps total and you have more things running than you know .. each will receive a portion of your total throughput.

1 Item running .... it gets 1 Mbps

2 items running (one known, one unknown) each gets 500 Kbps, the known seems slow.

As to upgrading and holes in your roof ?

It depends on line of sight of course but when I upgraded from my former HN7000s system for a HT1100 Gen4, the new reflector/arm/TRIA was mounted on my existing mast, everything was inspected and no "new holes" were needed.

Bottom line here is:

You are on a now antiquated system with limited throughput at best.

You claim you are loosing data and at the same time have poor speeds.

You don't seem to grasp the fact that your computer has many background processes that run unseen that will use data and cause your known programs to seem "slow" because they are sharing your already limited bandwidth yet you have GlassWire installed .... 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Reconnected at on 5/23/16  at 5:43 AM,  Data reloaded to 500MB. Used PC until 6:39 AM , Data still at 500MB  ,  shut down.  Turned on 8:02AM Data  at 466 MB.

This simply sounds like an instance of the data shown at 6:39am not reflecting your usage from 5:43am to 6:39am correctly.  When you turned it back on at 8:02am, the updated data remainder was most likely correct (having been used earlier, but not reflected correctly at that time). 

A 34MB usage in that time is not at all unusual.  Simply turning your computer on and it checking for updates will burn through some MBs, even if it doesn't find any.  When I had Windows 8.1 on my computer, just turning it on would burn through about 15mb, checking whatever it was checking, every time.  It was similar with Windows 7.  Also, again, BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) is another thing that will download things in the background without you ever knowing it's doing so unless you check the usage.   

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Euni, the meter is not immediate at reporting usage, there is some delay. If the meter read one amount, then you shut down your computer right after looking at it, the usage on the meter might well be higher when turning computer back on. Happens to me quite frequently and in your case much more noticeable since you are on a daily plan with a low amount of data to begin with.
Euni
New Poster

Yes I know, that is where I go daily to check and can see how fast it goes down. Just turned on this PC to post, Data at 379MB, .PC had been off all day , just posted this AM.
Euni
New Poster

Gwalk, how can I print  your instructions?
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Euni, click on the top of his post then move the cursor down through the text, it should all highlight in blue. Then right click on mouse and select print.