Super slow , here we go again !!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Euni
New Poster

Super slow , here we go again !!

well, here we go again, have not been on here because HN is sooooo slow and complaining does not do much good, always the same answers.  About 6 month ago I had a go around re- Data loss, that has been ok, my account was monitored for about 4 weeks and all was well, soon after that  my  internet speed was super slow and has been like that until now, getting pretty tired of this. I have kept a DAILY log of my sign in, times and usage. Just today it took from 6.18am till 7:05 am to pay 2 bills online, getting thrown off twice, a confirmation email from Verizon took 6 minutes to receive. I update early in the morning  because it takes so long, Norton sec. updates 1 1/2 hrs. Yesterday Ctrl Ctr. status light was yellow for 2 hrs, I had NO access to satellite, I can go on and on, and that only in the last 6 month , I have been a customer of theirs for  about 4 1/2 yrs now and one would think service would have gotten better, oh NO,  HN is the worse provider ever. We have had great weather, clear skies. I took my computer to a friends house , she has cable, wow, that's what I call high speed. NOT like HN .  Also it does NOT matter what time I use my computer, it is always super slow. A 1 min. video takes 5 minutes to look at with  constant buffering. Again I have I desk top computer, no router or other devices, I am a senior just trying to keep in touch with the world, use FB, email, ebay and sometimes read a local paper online. other then that HN is useless, no games, movies, videos or anything else, Try sending a picture to  a friend, impossible . Emails... have to delete one at a time constant buffering and when I click on the email to delete it,  it opens , not good. Trying to get to the email is another thing, have to try 2 and 3 times, That is HN. I tell anyone  that is looking for a provider to stay away from HN. A neighbor up the road was told  to get special adapters etc. which they did ($300.00) they have HN, it did nothing.  All the complaining does no good, first 3 month were great, after that HN only wants your money. My son has EXCEDE next door, been monitoring that so far so good, will switch to that in the near future if his  service stays as it has been ,  for less money too.  Well HN a very dissatisfied customer here.

150 REPLIES 150
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Well, lets see where Host Process for Windows Services went:

Here is mine , use it as a guide:

Same settings as your previous EXCEPT:

SELECT THE "APPS" TAB

Then, in the list of programs/processes find Host Process For Windows Services ...... and CLICK on it (mine has a red box around it)

After clicking on it the large window on the right will display how much data was used ... CLICKING on one of THOSE will display a popup with the IP address of where the process connected to.

Euni
New Poster

windows 8.1
Euni
New Poster

It gives IP  numbers, also says host process for widows servicing. United States  8.253.1.78, don't know what that means.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Windows just changed the windows 10 upgrade to recommended so I bet you just downloaded the windows 10 upgrade in the background, since its be upgraded to recommended then it will do it automatically 
Euni
New Poster

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Go to My Computer -> The current windows install drive (normally C://) and look for a folder named "$Windows ~BT." if there is it will be anywhere from 2.5-6GB that is the windows 10 download, check and see if you have this folder
Euni
New Poster

I have gotten messages about windows 10 but declined each time.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Dosent matter, since they changed it to recommended it will download
Euni
New Poster

also, I was gone from 5//9/16  -  5/14/16, did Norton sec.update at 6am on5/15/16, paid bills. at 8:20AM  data was at 480MB, shut off PC by 8;14 PM data was at 132, I had checked email, trust me I don't get much email and I delete when read and clean out trash.

CharlesMcCool
New Poster
Euni
New Poster

so I have now windows 10?
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Do you have the folder I posted in my other comment on your C:// if you do then its downloaded already incase you decide to upgrade
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

click on your windows file explore in your taskbar and expand the treeview under your C: drive and see if you have the folder shown above
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Windows 8.1 is subject to the following .....

Microsoft will download to your computer a copy of Win10 as a "just in case".

They are also including Win10 as a "recommended" update so when Windows update runs it will download again.

There have been some updates for Win7,8 and 8.1 that cause some "behavioral" changes to those Operating Systems that cause them to emulate some of the "features" found in Win10 ... namely the collection of data from your computer that is then "shared" with other ...."partners" of Microsoft.

This collection and sharing will use data that you didn't use in the past as well as the background downloads of Win10 in both forms .... "just in case" and "recommended update.

The list of "troublesome updates" (known as KB's) is very long and likely beyond your ability to safely remove.

The fact is that Microsoft has  .... changed directions and as such so has Windows as we knew it and that includes some effects to the current Microsoft operating systems.

Frankly I'm at a loss as to how to advise you .....

Your daily allowance is very limited

Windows has turned into a nightmare for those with limited computer experience and data caps.

You COULD set Win Update to NEVER which would stop further data bleeds but would leave your system vulnerable.

I have been around computers since .. there have been computers. I have totally disabled Windows Update on all but one of my eleven computers since November of 2015 and I spend a lot of time carefully researching and removing a number of reoccurring updates on the one computer that is allowed to update.

Please note that I am not advocating that you totally disable Windows Update.

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

this is how I stopped windows 10 from installing on the 1 laptop that I run Win 7 on,  https://www.grc.com/never10.htm
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Its just sad that Microsoft thinks that they know our needs more than us and forces stuff like this on us
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Gwalk900 it would probably be a good idea to post your last post about windows 10 upgrade where others will be able to see it
Euni
New Poster

Charles, read some of it, my head is spinning. where do find General Windows  update?
Euni
New Poster

ok found "windows update" removed the check mark for windows 10 upgrade, now I have to find systems drive to see if it downloaded any , got a headache. How is the average old person supposed to know all this? Thanks Charles, I am working on it, I bet that's what's happening.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

There is also GWX Control Panel which I use.  http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/
Euni
New Poster

It still says I have windows 8, where can I find Windows/file explorer, system drive ?