Super slow , here we go again !!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Euni
New Poster

Super slow , here we go again !!

well, here we go again, have not been on here because HN is sooooo slow and complaining does not do much good, always the same answers.  About 6 month ago I had a go around re- Data loss, that has been ok, my account was monitored for about 4 weeks and all was well, soon after that  my  internet speed was super slow and has been like that until now, getting pretty tired of this. I have kept a DAILY log of my sign in, times and usage. Just today it took from 6.18am till 7:05 am to pay 2 bills online, getting thrown off twice, a confirmation email from Verizon took 6 minutes to receive. I update early in the morning  because it takes so long, Norton sec. updates 1 1/2 hrs. Yesterday Ctrl Ctr. status light was yellow for 2 hrs, I had NO access to satellite, I can go on and on, and that only in the last 6 month , I have been a customer of theirs for  about 4 1/2 yrs now and one would think service would have gotten better, oh NO,  HN is the worse provider ever. We have had great weather, clear skies. I took my computer to a friends house , she has cable, wow, that's what I call high speed. NOT like HN .  Also it does NOT matter what time I use my computer, it is always super slow. A 1 min. video takes 5 minutes to look at with  constant buffering. Again I have I desk top computer, no router or other devices, I am a senior just trying to keep in touch with the world, use FB, email, ebay and sometimes read a local paper online. other then that HN is useless, no games, movies, videos or anything else, Try sending a picture to  a friend, impossible . Emails... have to delete one at a time constant buffering and when I click on the email to delete it,  it opens , not good. Trying to get to the email is another thing, have to try 2 and 3 times, That is HN. I tell anyone  that is looking for a provider to stay away from HN. A neighbor up the road was told  to get special adapters etc. which they did ($300.00) they have HN, it did nothing.  All the complaining does no good, first 3 month were great, after that HN only wants your money. My son has EXCEDE next door, been monitoring that so far so good, will switch to that in the near future if his  service stays as it has been ,  for less money too.  Well HN a very dissatisfied customer here.

150 REPLIES 150
Euni
New Poster

Gwalk, please read above notes to Charles. Thanks
Euni
New Poster

gotta go, fix supper, back later.
Euni
New Poster

thank you all so much, I just hope that is what s happening.
Euni
New Poster

can see Gateway C drive, hardly anything on it, but my PC just restarted trying to update W10.
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Yep thats a good one also
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

if you click on the C drive it should expand and you can see if the folder is there,
Euni
New Poster

on My PC  gateway ( C:) it says 407GB free of 442GB, I did not see  this folder you mentioned.
Euni
New Poster

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

May have enable "show system files and folders" before it is visible
Euni
New Poster

will shut down for today, Thank you for all your help. To much stress for me for one day, not fun anymore going on  the computer. Getting to old for this... ♥ Thanks guys !!! much appreciated.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Maybe my stepfather's computer is just special or something.  It's got W8.1, and I have it set to notify before downloading and installing updates.  It has the Windows 10 update notification on the taskbar, but it has never tried to automatically download it.  I have it at my house about once a week to update it (he has dialup), and I've not seen it doing this.  Hmm. 
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

also try clicking on the Gateway C: from the tree on the left that will open the folder view below the C drive
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It can sometimes be frustrating helping someone who is a novice when it comes to computers, but you guys are very patient and doing a great job in trying to help Euni.  Hopefully the problem can eventually be discovered and/or corrected.   

Euni
New Poster

you have that right, at least these guys are helping and are trying to solve a problem, HughesNet reps should be aware of this and advise their customers that this windows 10 upgrade is happening, instead customers are unhappy, loosing data, buying tokens ( I have not) more $$$ for HN. All you nice fellows have taken a lot of time to direct me and suggested other alternatives that's more than I can say for HN Reps. I am sure they are watching.
Euni
New Poster

Just checked C: drive, same as yesterday, nothing else there, also checked widows update where I changed the  setting,  last entry yesterday "failed" , wanted me to "update and restart", I shut PC off manually.  
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Euni,

Many times when a user complains of data loss (and slow speeds as the two go together) they are positive  that Hughes is stealing their data and really won't  consider any other alternative.

The usual procedure is to advise the customer to perform a modem isolation test to determine if Hughes  is the problem.

The data HAS to going somewhere and  that loss  can only be in one of three places:

Misunderstanding (refill, Anytime/Freezone/Bonus Bytes)

On the Hughes end (run modem isolation test)

On the user end.

In every official reply here in the Community the Reps give a rather lengthy list of  advice including the activities of Win10:

Here is an example:

*************************************************************************************************

Thanks for posting. I checked your account and see what you are referencing. Having a data limit does take some getting used to. Good thing is, we have some tips in helping you conserve data and get rid of data leaks. Whether you are watching videos or just browsing, there are many factors that could affect how fast data is used on your network.

First thing I would do is use a browser like Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Or Safari. These browsers offer useful extensions like ad blockers that will help you in using less data, and have a smoother browsing experience in general. This extension is from Chrome that I use myself:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adblock-plus/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Second take note that many more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

Do you have Windows 10? Your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time. You can also set automatic windows updates to run only during the bonus period if you have windows 7 or below. Win 8/8.1 and Win10 will allow some control of this mainly with its metered connection settings however here is a more in depth way to help you with Win10 data management. Take a look here:

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/monitor-your-data-usage-in-windows-10/

For streaming lovers and multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to low/SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Also, take a look at www.glasswire.com 

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. I hope all of this helps. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

**************************************************************************************************

Hughesnet does inform users of Win10 activity and does offer advice on how to track data loss issues.

The problem is most subscribers refuse to put in the effort to troubleshoot the issue.

Most users simply don't believe that a program that is set to NOT update would just turn around and do it anyway so I posted this topic showing the data loss AND the limitations set for the program in this topic:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-loss-and-thieving-software

CharlesMcCool
New Poster

WOW hope you copy and pasted this, lol
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I think that applies to most of his posts Charles.  : )
Euni
New Poster

Thanks Gwalk, never seen this before.
Euni
New Poster

Hi ya'all, looked at those downloads for "NOT " downloading W 10, its a bit complicated for me. Now just an update, was gone most of the day, not on here much BUT I keep checking. Looked again at ( C:) drive (expanded every line) , so far I do not see "$Windows BT", maybe by changing the setting ( removing the checkmark) as instructed, it stopped?  Looked at Glasswire too, seems to stay steady, also system control ctr. data is holding steady not going down within 10 minutes, overall PC is slow, like it was before but its usable . Having some  thunder storms coming thru so I will sign off. Have a nice Memorial Weekend if I don't come on here to complain. I feel like you are "family" LOL... learning a lot  from you guys, thanks. ♥
CharlesMcCool
New Poster

Windows by default hides this directory, here is a screenshot describing how to unhide it