Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super slow , here we go again !!

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Re: Super slow , here we go again !!

Hi Euni,

I just came across your topic here and read the entire thing. Glad you took the time to learn how to use a few simple tools like Glasswire, and that you stuck with it. Many users would have just given up well before that.

And great to hear you finally got a new computer. While reading, I started to become convinced that problems with your old computer were at the heart of the poor performance issues. I'd be very interested to read your reports about the performance differences now. So check in every so often and provide an update with another Glasswire screen shot of the new computer. I'll bet you'll see fewer processes running and sucking up data.

So many people out there have old computers that are just so bogged down, it's a surprise they'll even start up, let alone maintain a fast Internet connection.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Euni,

Glad you got the computer fixed up.

Sadly Microsoft has become relentless in pushing Win10 in more than one way.

Some of the "updates" that they are pushing to Win7 users causes their Win7 machines to emulate some of the behaviors found in Win10 .... namely the sharing of data in the form of "telemetry".

It really has become a full time job avoiding the more hazardous updates.

Here is a partial list of troublesome updates:

Windows updates to NEVER install:

KB2505438 - Slow performance in applications that use the DirectWrite API on a computer that is running  

Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 = It often breaks fonts (see also KB454826)
KB2670838 - Platform update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 = breaks AERO functionality and  

gives you blurry fonts on some websites
KB2922324 – (reportedly pulled, uninstall it anyway if already installed)
KB2952664 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10 (sends a bunch of telemetry data to M$, reported to  

corrupt system files)
KB2976978 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB2977759 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10, installs telemetry
KB2990214 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3014460 – affects windows 8 only
KB3015249 – adds more damn telemetry
KB3021917 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3022345 – installs diagnostic tracking service, reported to corrupt system files
KB3035583 – pitches the free Windows 10 upgrade
KB3044374 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3050265 – supposedly fixes an issue with windows update, but also changes system files to support upgrade to

Windows 10
KB3050267 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3065987 – makes “improvements” to the windows update client (really just more Win10 bullshit)
KB3065988
KB3068707 - Customer experience telemetry points (update appears to be nuked from microsoft.com)
KB3068708 – installs telemetry service, prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3075249 – adds yet more telemetry
KB3075851 – makes “improvements” to the windows update client (really just more Win10 junk)
KB3075853 - updated Windows Update stuff for the upgrade process
KB3080149 – adds yet more telemetry
KB3083225  ?
KB3083324 - Update Client for Windows 7
KB3083325  ?
KB3083710  Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: October 2015
KB3083711  Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: October 2015 ()

Euni
New Poster

Hi all you "champions" out there,  been trying to learn W7, everything looks different now, that Ihave gotten used to W8, all these tiles and APPS, everything done from the right side,  Oh well. The other computer was 3 years old, had bought a package  ( computer, screen, keyboard and mouse) for 3 month it was ok. I know the package I have with HN is not the best ( can't afford it)  so I make do since I do not play games, or  watch movies and a bunch of other stuff.  Technology is moving faster and the average person really has no clue.  Add to all that Microsoft  forcing you to take W10 does not help.  My older PC was workable, got lots of help here ( THANK YOU ) but to do changes  taking off one, putting on another, re-do or whatever  was not worth it. I got to keep my keyboard, screen, mouse and printer , all compatible so that saved some $$$ .  It is working better so far . I am from the old school, when I set my mind to something, I do it til its done and follow thru.  I just hope for now everything will stay as is cause my little brain is fried :0)....
Euni
New Poster

GabeU, I know around here they had been talking about more towers, for cell phone the closest tower is 10 miles, so I don't have one. Now over the hill they have been putting in towers ( have to take a look exactly where and how close) supposedly for "wireless" internet. My computer guy said he has a customer that uses it but he could not give me the address to compare. Its a local company that has the OK from the county. I will have to check it out .  Thanks for the info  re; usage etc.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

You're welcome for the info.  I know that over the air home internet is definitely a thing that is going to propagate and be much more commonplace in the future.  That's where I see the future of internet as lying.  You can only install so many cables around the country/world, but the air is wide open, and all they have to do install some more towers and upgrade the equipment.  It's the future of internet, for sure.

Does your computer have that new computer smell?  LOL.  I always loved getting or building a new one.  I would always download and run the latest benchmarking tests to see how good it was.  The results didn't really matter.  It was just fun doing it.  Right now, I envy you. 

I imagine that it didn't come with a lot of bloatware since it was a custom build.  That bloatware can be terrible and slow a computer down so much. 

You might also want to look into a free program called CCleaner.  It can help to keep your computer running smoothly.  Just make sure that you read about it and understand it before you use it.  It's one of those programs that can be great when used properly, but can wreak havoc on a system when not.   

Again, I envy you.  It makes me want to build another computer.  LOL.  Perhaps my first Intel build.

Just out of curiosity, do you know the specs of the new computer?     

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Actually a Low Earth Orbit satellite internet system would be the best of both worlds. Much lower latency and a very large coverage area, like the entire populized planet. : )
GabeU

True, but I imagine the logistics of such a thing would be difficult, or at least more difficult than the sat internet available now.  Plus, the cell tower infrastructure is mostly in place.  Mostly.  It would just need upgraded technology. 

Mostly in built up areas, that is. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

GabeU

648 satellites?  Wow!  It will be nice if this actually happens.  I stand corrected.   

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor