Super slow , here we go again !!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Euni
New Poster

Super slow , here we go again !!

well, here we go again, have not been on here because HN is sooooo slow and complaining does not do much good, always the same answers.  About 6 month ago I had a go around re- Data loss, that has been ok, my account was monitored for about 4 weeks and all was well, soon after that  my  internet speed was super slow and has been like that until now, getting pretty tired of this. I have kept a DAILY log of my sign in, times and usage. Just today it took from 6.18am till 7:05 am to pay 2 bills online, getting thrown off twice, a confirmation email from Verizon took 6 minutes to receive. I update early in the morning  because it takes so long, Norton sec. updates 1 1/2 hrs. Yesterday Ctrl Ctr. status light was yellow for 2 hrs, I had NO access to satellite, I can go on and on, and that only in the last 6 month , I have been a customer of theirs for  about 4 1/2 yrs now and one would think service would have gotten better, oh NO,  HN is the worse provider ever. We have had great weather, clear skies. I took my computer to a friends house , she has cable, wow, that's what I call high speed. NOT like HN .  Also it does NOT matter what time I use my computer, it is always super slow. A 1 min. video takes 5 minutes to look at with  constant buffering. Again I have I desk top computer, no router or other devices, I am a senior just trying to keep in touch with the world, use FB, email, ebay and sometimes read a local paper online. other then that HN is useless, no games, movies, videos or anything else, Try sending a picture to  a friend, impossible . Emails... have to delete one at a time constant buffering and when I click on the email to delete it,  it opens , not good. Trying to get to the email is another thing, have to try 2 and 3 times, That is HN. I tell anyone  that is looking for a provider to stay away from HN. A neighbor up the road was told  to get special adapters etc. which they did ($300.00) they have HN, it did nothing.  All the complaining does no good, first 3 month were great, after that HN only wants your money. My son has EXCEDE next door, been monitoring that so far so good, will switch to that in the near future if his  service stays as it has been ,  for less money too.  Well HN a very dissatisfied customer here.

150 REPLIES 150
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Enui,

One of the great things about custom built computers is they are often built with expandability/upgradability in mind.  The big name off the shelf or online purchased computers are often only built with the bare minimum to run them as they are when built, frequently being restricted by a barely adequate power supply and very little room for expandability.  The only thing that can sometimes be a disadvantage with custom built computers is the warranty.  Hopefully you have a warranty or the build even allows you to use the warranties from the individual components.

Windows 7 is a great OS. Keep an eye out for that pesky W10 upgrade.

Good luck with the new computer.  It's always fun learning what they can do.   

Euni
New Poster

Thanks Gabe,  I had asked him to put a block  on it for W10 which he did.  He is a reputable  guy in our area. I still wont be doing all that much, just basic things as I don't trust HN.  There is a wireless Co. in our area, just emailed them to see if I am in their domain for service, cheaper too. 
GabeU

Ah.  Just make sure they are very specific about their overage charges and/or what may happen if you reach a certain data threshold.  A lot of the "unlimited data" plans, if they still have them, will have tiny writing that says if you use more than X amount of data they "may" slow your services.  I really like the "may" part.  LOL.

I can get a 4G plan here for home internet, but it's too expensive, relative to what I can get, and my signal isn't all that great where I live.  My closest cell tower is about two miles away, on the other side of a hill.  It's enough for a cell phone, but I can't trust it enough for internet.   

It's good that the guy did that for you with regard to the sneaky W110 upgrade.  It sounds like a nice store.     

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Hi Euni,

I just came across your topic here and read the entire thing. Glad you took the time to learn how to use a few simple tools like Glasswire, and that you stuck with it. Many users would have just given up well before that.

And great to hear you finally got a new computer. While reading, I started to become convinced that problems with your old computer were at the heart of the poor performance issues. I'd be very interested to read your reports about the performance differences now. So check in every so often and provide an update with another Glasswire screen shot of the new computer. I'll bet you'll see fewer processes running and sucking up data.

So many people out there have old computers that are just so bogged down, it's a surprise they'll even start up, let alone maintain a fast Internet connection.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Hi Euni,

I just came across your topic here and read the entire thing. Glad you took the time to learn how to use a few simple tools like Glasswire, and that you stuck with it. Many users would have just given up well before that.

And great to hear you finally got a new computer. While reading, I started to become convinced that problems with your old computer were at the heart of the poor performance issues. I'd be very interested to read your reports about the performance differences now. So check in every so often and provide an update with another Glasswire screen shot of the new computer. I'll bet you'll see fewer processes running and sucking up data.

So many people out there have old computers that are just so bogged down, it's a surprise they'll even start up, let alone maintain a fast Internet connection.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi Euni,

Glad you got the computer fixed up.

Sadly Microsoft has become relentless in pushing Win10 in more than one way.

Some of the "updates" that they are pushing to Win7 users causes their Win7 machines to emulate some of the behaviors found in Win10 .... namely the sharing of data in the form of "telemetry".

It really has become a full time job avoiding the more hazardous updates.

Here is a partial list of troublesome updates:

Windows updates to NEVER install:

KB2505438 - Slow performance in applications that use the DirectWrite API on a computer that is running  

Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 = It often breaks fonts (see also KB454826)
KB2670838 - Platform update for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 = breaks AERO functionality and  

gives you blurry fonts on some websites
KB2922324 – (reportedly pulled, uninstall it anyway if already installed)
KB2952664 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10 (sends a bunch of telemetry data to M$, reported to  

corrupt system files)
KB2976978 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB2977759 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10, installs telemetry
KB2990214 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3014460 – affects windows 8 only
KB3015249 – adds more damn telemetry
KB3021917 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3022345 – installs diagnostic tracking service, reported to corrupt system files
KB3035583 – pitches the free Windows 10 upgrade
KB3044374 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3050265 – supposedly fixes an issue with windows update, but also changes system files to support upgrade to

Windows 10
KB3050267 – prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3065987 – makes “improvements” to the windows update client (really just more Win10 bullshit)
KB3065988
KB3068707 - Customer experience telemetry points (update appears to be nuked from microsoft.com)
KB3068708 – installs telemetry service, prepares system for upgrade to Windows 10
KB3075249 – adds yet more telemetry
KB3075851 – makes “improvements” to the windows update client (really just more Win10 junk)
KB3075853 - updated Windows Update stuff for the upgrade process
KB3080149 – adds yet more telemetry
KB3083225  ?
KB3083324 - Update Client for Windows 7
KB3083325  ?
KB3083710  Windows Update Client for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2: October 2015
KB3083711  Windows Update Client for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2: October 2015 ()

Euni
New Poster

Hi all you "champions" out there,  been trying to learn W7, everything looks different now, that Ihave gotten used to W8, all these tiles and APPS, everything done from the right side,  Oh well. The other computer was 3 years old, had bought a package  ( computer, screen, keyboard and mouse) for 3 month it was ok. I know the package I have with HN is not the best ( can't afford it)  so I make do since I do not play games, or  watch movies and a bunch of other stuff.  Technology is moving faster and the average person really has no clue.  Add to all that Microsoft  forcing you to take W10 does not help.  My older PC was workable, got lots of help here ( THANK YOU ) but to do changes  taking off one, putting on another, re-do or whatever  was not worth it. I got to keep my keyboard, screen, mouse and printer , all compatible so that saved some $$$ .  It is working better so far . I am from the old school, when I set my mind to something, I do it til its done and follow thru.  I just hope for now everything will stay as is cause my little brain is fried :0)....
Euni
New Poster

GabeU, I know around here they had been talking about more towers, for cell phone the closest tower is 10 miles, so I don't have one. Now over the hill they have been putting in towers ( have to take a look exactly where and how close) supposedly for "wireless" internet. My computer guy said he has a customer that uses it but he could not give me the address to compare. Its a local company that has the OK from the county. I will have to check it out .  Thanks for the info  re; usage etc.
GabeU

You're welcome for the info.  I know that over the air home internet is definitely a thing that is going to propagate and be much more commonplace in the future.  That's where I see the future of internet as lying.  You can only install so many cables around the country/world, but the air is wide open, and all they have to do install some more towers and upgrade the equipment.  It's the future of internet, for sure.

Does your computer have that new computer smell?  LOL.  I always loved getting or building a new one.  I would always download and run the latest benchmarking tests to see how good it was.  The results didn't really matter.  It was just fun doing it.  Right now, I envy you. 

I imagine that it didn't come with a lot of bloatware since it was a custom build.  That bloatware can be terrible and slow a computer down so much. 

You might also want to look into a free program called CCleaner.  It can help to keep your computer running smoothly.  Just make sure that you read about it and understand it before you use it.  It's one of those programs that can be great when used properly, but can wreak havoc on a system when not.   

Again, I envy you.  It makes me want to build another computer.  LOL.  Perhaps my first Intel build.

Just out of curiosity, do you know the specs of the new computer?     

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Actually a Low Earth Orbit satellite internet system would be the best of both worlds. Much lower latency and a very large coverage area, like the entire populized planet. : )
GabeU

True, but I imagine the logistics of such a thing would be difficult, or at least more difficult than the sat internet available now.  Plus, the cell tower infrastructure is mostly in place.  Mostly.  It would just need upgraded technology. 

Mostly in built up areas, that is. 

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor
GabeU

648 satellites?  Wow!  It will be nice if this actually happens.  I stand corrected.   

El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

GabeU

In a way, that's even better news.  To have a company involved that is already an established entity in satellite technology surely can't hurt.  The future of internet accessibility is looking better and better. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

And the number of WiFi/Cell towers required in hilly and mountainous areas is also very cost prohibitive. Where I live is a prime example. LEO has the promise to deliver true high speed low latency internet to folks in isolated places, even remote Alaska and Canada.
Euni
New Poster

Gabe... re. specs of the computer ? what is that? Here is what's on  my receipt, 1yr warranty incl.parts and labor,  Rosewill blk case  w/350W P/S, Biostar H61MGC Mainboard, Intel G620T 2.2 GHz CPU, 4 GB DDR3 PC 10600  1333mHzRam, LG24X DVD-R/RW, Western Digital 500 GB SATA3  7200RPM  16MB Buffer , W7 Home Premium 64BIT w/SP1......Have no idea what all this means.  My other PC  was  one from  a store (Package deal)   Yes it has that new computer smell lol..., rainy day today, PC working good.  So far I like what I see,  I think my blood pressure is lower too  LOL. 
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Euni, it looks like that setup should work fine for you and then some. Hope it helps eliminate the problems you've been having.

PS: You may want to install this to prevent the Windows 10 upgrade form sneaking in on you:  http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

PS Again: I see you said further up the PC guy put a block on Windows 10 so he may have already installed something like GWX Control Panel.
Euni
New Poster

BirdDog, yes he said he did, called it something different.  I had told him that was my main concern. So far so good, all is well, lets see for how long ???  Was like this when I first got HN.   Using less Data also, Status meter working  great.  Thumbs up !!!! Yeahhhh..♥
GabeU

Euni,

Yep, those are the things I was referring to when asking about specs.  Basically what components the computer has in it, and that info answers the question.  In the end, it doesn't really matter what's in a computer as long as it works for you and you enjoy it.  I've just always been curious what people have in their machines. 

As BirdDog said, that setup should be fine for you and it's ample for your needs.  For what you do your processor and memory are good, and you have plenty of on board storage.  That motherboard has a bit of room for expansion, as well.

I'm glad you like it, and a lower blood pressure is good, too.  LOL. 

Euni
New Poster

Hello ya'all out there, thought I'd say "HI" and let ya know how  its going,  well for two 2 days ( 7/17- 7/19 ) my data was disappearing again, was unable to connect to the internet, I disconnected the modem overnight  and that seems to have done the trick as far as data goes, but now  I have not been able to get my email, the screen is there and a message pops up ... Hughes Net  is not responding ... turned PC on and off, still the same, cannot get the email.... grrrrr...now what?   Always something....will try again.