cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super slow , here we go again !!

Euni
New Poster

Re: Super slow , here we go again !!

did Speed test thru dashboard, was able to do 2 tests, looked fine. Normally my PC is slow but not like this. Hope I can get to Glasswire.   :0(
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

The inability to close a window would indicate a problem within your computer .
As to "getting to Glasswire" would also seem to be computer related because the Glasswire program is installed "in" your computer not "out" on the internet.
Euni
New Poster

was able to look at glasswire, looks like something going on with "windows", got on to FB Microsoft, lots of complaints over the weekend, nothing works due to W10 upgrade, maybe that's what is happening  with my PC.
Euni
New Poster

Euni
New Poster

Hello there Charles and Gwalk, long time no complaining.  :0)  , well took my PC to a "well respected" shop and had the owner take a look at it, all was well and I had a long conversation about computers in lay terms so my little brain could understand it.  Also got some explanations re: windows 8 and 10, I wanted  W7,  but to change that on my PC would not have been worth  it, soooooo I traded it for a NEW CUSTOM build PC with Windows 7 which I now have to learn , DUH...... just had this PC for a couple of hrs, can someone tell me how I get the tool bar up on top?  Brain freeze.... so far so good, working good, even had the PC man install HN status  meter which never worked on my other PC, so that's good too.  Signing off for now, trying to figure where all the stuff is.
Euni
New Poster

**** found it****
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Enui,

One of the great things about custom built computers is they are often built with expandability/upgradability in mind.  The big name off the shelf or online purchased computers are often only built with the bare minimum to run them as they are when built, frequently being restricted by a barely adequate power supply and very little room for expandability.  The only thing that can sometimes be a disadvantage with custom built computers is the warranty.  Hopefully you have a warranty or the build even allows you to use the warranties from the individual components.

Windows 7 is a great OS. Keep an eye out for that pesky W10 upgrade.

Good luck with the new computer.  It's always fun learning what they can do.   

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Euni
New Poster

Thanks Gabe,  I had asked him to put a block  on it for W10 which he did.  He is a reputable  guy in our area. I still wont be doing all that much, just basic things as I don't trust HN.  There is a wireless Co. in our area, just emailed them to see if I am in their domain for service, cheaper too. 
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Ah.  Just make sure they are very specific about their overage charges and/or what may happen if you reach a certain data threshold.  A lot of the "unlimited data" plans, if they still have them, will have tiny writing that says if you use more than X amount of data they "may" slow your services.  I really like the "may" part.  LOL.

I can get a 4G plan here for home internet, but it's too expensive, relative to what I can get, and my signal isn't all that great where I live.  My closest cell tower is about two miles away, on the other side of a hill.  It's enough for a cell phone, but I can't trust it enough for internet.   

It's good that the guy did that for you with regard to the sneaky W110 upgrade.  It sounds like a nice store.     

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Hi Euni,

I just came across your topic here and read the entire thing. Glad you took the time to learn how to use a few simple tools like Glasswire, and that you stuck with it. Many users would have just given up well before that.

And great to hear you finally got a new computer. While reading, I started to become convinced that problems with your old computer were at the heart of the poor performance issues. I'd be very interested to read your reports about the performance differences now. So check in every so often and provide an update with another Glasswire screen shot of the new computer. I'll bet you'll see fewer processes running and sucking up data.

So many people out there have old computers that are just so bogged down, it's a surprise they'll even start up, let alone maintain a fast Internet connection.
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com