cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super slow upload speeds

Associate Professor

Re: Super slow upload speeds

" I can connect via my VPN but get no where via the RDP connection."

Maybe I misunderstood the comment?  Thought that you could connect using RDP via VPN, but couldn't connect via RDP with out VPN.

@C0RR0SIVE

My VPN connection connects

My RDP does not

Sorry, can't get screen shot to work on this.

vpn.png

Associate Professor

OK... so you have been able to connect via RDP with out the VPN in the past, correct?  If yes, try running a tracert to the address you was using with RDP, as that may/will shed some light if your answer was yes...

Or have you always had to connect to your VPN in order to use RDP?  It's a miracle that VPN has always worked for you as it usually doesn't for most, but the moment you add RDP on top of a VPN, there's too much overhead due to encryption for it to be feasible on satnet, so it wouldn't surprise me it's not working, though, I have no idea why it would in the past.

Those speedtest results might still be needed as they may provide some insight.

Highlighted

I have to use the VPN to connect the remote desktop.  It doesn't work without it.  I have worked from home for the past 7+ years on Satellite with the exact same set up as I have now.  Nothing has changed.  I connect to the VPN then I connect to the RDC and I access a computer at the company I work for.  Been working that way since 2010 when I moved to the sticks.  Otherwise, I'd be golden.

Associate Professor

@Amanda

I am out of ideas on this one...

@kelley.nesbitt5

When you are able and have time, please share the testmy.net account results link with us, I honestly am out of ideas as getting VPN to work over satnet is difficult at best, and adding on extra encryption that RDP calls for just makes it even more difficult, which is why I am surprised it did work for you in the past.

@C0RR0SIVE

It worked last week, just fine.  I got it to work for a hot second on Monday and then dropped.  I've done a couple of speed tests and will post shortly.

kelly.nesbitt5

Can I move your plan down to the original one to see if that fixes it? 

Amanda

@Amanda

That's fine, please let me know if I need to reboot anything.

Thank you!

No problem - the switch back has been made. For troubleshooting sake, you'd might as well reboot your router/computer. If this works then I suspect a configuration difference (most likely unintentional) between the two service plans is the problem. I haven't read through the whole thread, but it could also be some type of DNS mismatch (switching service plans will put you on a different route which gives out a different block of IPs/DNS addresses)

~Amanda

Junior

Amanda is most likely correct about the IPs/DNS business. The primary clue is the fact that the ping couldn't reach the remote computer.

Until you can ping the destination computer the connection Can NOT be made.

Once you can ping the destination computer it is then a separate matter to establish (and/or troubleshoot) your RDC.

Don  Smiley Happy