cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Survey pops up every few minutes

HN_popup.png

This survey pops up every few minutes while I'm logged in, often while I'm writing a post. Is there a way to stop this? I wouldn't mind it popping up once per session, but it constantly popping up is intrusive.  I have popup blockers but they don't work on this popup.

I've tested using Firefox (regular and private), Chrome (regular and incognito), and Edge and the same happens on all of them. I thought it could be influenced by add-ons, but I have no add-ons at all on Edge, so it doesn't seem to be that. 

Help, please. Cheers. 

21 REPLIES 21
Liz

Good morning maratsade,

Thanks for the heads up and letting me know your troubleshooting methods so far. That is indeed unusual, our settings have been unchanged and should definitely not be popping up that survey every few minutes. Do you recall when this first started happening?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

maratsade

I would say the issue has been going on since at least since October, maybe earlier. I kept hoping it was temporary but it never stopped, and in fact, got worse.  I wouldn't be surprised if it were something on my side, but I can't think of what else to do to figure it out.  I even tried it on a new laptop before it got any mods done to it in terms of apps and such, but it also happened.  First world problem. 🙂   

Oh my that's so odd. I've escalated this to the proper folks to see what's going on. As far as I can see, our survey settings have been unchanged since we first implemented them, and definitely shouldn't be popping up that often. In the meantime I'll turn it off.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

maratsade

I know, right? Super weird.  It's got to be something from my side, but so far I haven't been able to figure out what. I've tried the usual steps (add-ons, blockers, changing browsers and browser modalities, etc.) and nothing.  It's not a huge thing -- just annoying, but if need be, I can deal.  🙂

Thank you for escalating! 

GabeU

I wonder if a DNS flush might help. Like shutting everything down and unplugging the modem, waiting a minute, then plugging it back in and, after a few minutes, turning the device(s) back on.

maratsade

Excellent idea, thanks!!

Hi maratsade,

Thanks for your patience, our folks are still investigating this, and as part of that I'm going to turn this survey back on. If the same unusual behavior persists, do let me know, we are trying to reproduce this.

-Liz

To add onto this, if it DOES happen again, please try to get a screen recording of it popping up every few minutes. I use the Screencastify Chrome extension for screen recordings.

-Liz

maratsade

I'll do that, and thanks! Also, could you please uncheck the solution tick mark? I clicked on that instead of Reply, but didn't intend to mark this as a solution. 🙂

maratsade

Update on this: it's become quite random, so when I'm recording, it hasn't happened, and then it happens randomly when I'm not recording. 🤣🤣🤣  I'll keep trying.

Oh no LOL OK, well this also helps. I'll let the team know. Hopefully you'll catch it!

-Liz

Good morning maratsade,

Our folks are seeing that your settings and status on our side look good. They brought up the cache being a possible culprit when the issue is intermittent as it is now. Curious, after Gabe suggested a DNA flush via power cycle, did you do that? I wonder if the issue continued to persist, albeit intermittently, after that.

-Liz

maratsade

I cleared cache/cookies for all browsers and did a DNS flush, but things didn't change. I've also tried incognito modes to no avail.  I have no doubt the issue is on my end, though, just don't know yet what it might be. 🙂

I have a question: is the popup supposed to pop up once per session or more than once? It just popped up right now as soon as I logged in, which would make sense to me. It's when it pops up several times during a session that it's annoying, especially when it pops up when I'm writing a reply. 

I haven't had time to stay online long enough to test, unfortunately, due to work, so if you'd like to close this, that's fine -- I can post a new thread when/if I can get a video of the issue. 

EDIT: I tried a DNA flush too.  That didn't go well -- this is how I look now. 

monster.jpg

Thanks for the confirmation! LOL oh no, I thought you posted a pic of the gremlin messing with your settings.

The survey is only supposed to pop up once per session. If you decide to take the survey or not, it should go away and not come back for 90 days. Hopefully you're able to get a recording if it pops up again.

-Liz

maratsade

The portrait was to show the results of the DNA  flush.  Totally messed up my DNA. 😉  

Oh, it definitely pops up every time I log in. I've both taken the survey and declined to take it. No change; it doesn't go away; it definitely wants my opinion. 🤣

So far it has only popped up once this session, though. 

Ha! Ok, good to know. Hopefully it doesn't come back, even if you revisit the community. If it does pop up every time you visit that may be worth recording too.

-Liz

Good morning maratsade,

So after some testing, we're thinking it's cookie-related. Are your browsers set to clear cookies after every session or to not save them at all?

-Liz

maratsade

Ha! I was just coming here to post an update to say that I thought the issue may be cookie-related. I don't have the browsers clear cookies after each session, but I have add-ons that may do something similar.  So this is solved, and I will just put up with the popups.  🙂  Thank you very much for looking into this issue, and  it shouldn't have taken me so long to figure it out myself. Facepalm.  Pass me the dunce hat, please. 

LOL oh no worries, just glad we were able to get to the bottom of this. Thanks for letting me know!

-Liz

maratsade

BTW, I'd like to add the issue happens on other devices I have. I use several different laptops, sometimes on other networks/ISPs, and the issue happened there too. Puzzling.