System went down for about half hour today

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cybercycle1
Junior

System went down for about half hour today

My "new" Gen5 system went down today for about half an hour.  System status showed following when down:

• Operational status = down
  • Satellite Receive and Transmit both down
  • Software download status = up to date
  • Modem System, Receive and Transmit light were off on the modem.

I rebooted the modem with no change in status noted above.  I then "reset" the modem and the system started to reboot and the Software download status indicated it was downloading. The system restored after the download, and internet access appears normal again.

This seems like unusual behavior for the system...especially using the reset on the modem which apparently forced a software update.  Signal strength is now at 113.  Is this normal for the Gen5 or is this indicative of a problem with the modem, or at the NOC or elsewhere?  Thoughts?

Note: weather is sunny and no cloud cover.  There has been no electrical outages.  I'm on Beam 81.

Yeah, that's the NOR gateway if I am not mistaken, looking at the weather maps it looks like there was possibly some bad weather in that region today around that time.  After a short while if the modem can't get connection to the gateway it will give up on transmitting data and wait for the recieve data to come back before it starts transmitting again.

It's also possible there was a gateway issue, or one really strange modem issue...  As far as software updates go, any time you reboot these modems in any way, they will go through a software update.

NOR = North Platte, NE

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

When today did it go down?  That is abnormal behavior, however, there appears to have been some inclimate weather in the region for your gateway if you are Beam 81 J2

Thanks for the response, Corrosive.  It was about 3:00 p.m. Central time today.  I've been on HN for over a decade and thought this behavior was unusual.  System is still up, so maybe you are right about an atmospheric issue being the cause.  I'm on Gateway 12 of Beam 81.

Yeah, that's the NOR gateway if I am not mistaken, looking at the weather maps it looks like there was possibly some bad weather in that region today around that time.  After a short while if the modem can't get connection to the gateway it will give up on transmitting data and wait for the recieve data to come back before it starts transmitting again.

It's also possible there was a gateway issue, or one really strange modem issue...  As far as software updates go, any time you reboot these modems in any way, they will go through a software update.

NOR = North Platte, NE

@C0RR0SIVE wrote:

NOR = North Platte, NE

I believe you nailed it!  Thanks for the explanation and research on this issue...I really appreciate it.