cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System

System

HN really sucks in all categories. Can hardly wait to dump them when my contract is up. The price is outrageous and the speed is terrible. And having a limit on your data usage is so outdated.   . Would never recommend this service to anyone.
16 REPLIES 16
Assistant Professor

Re: System

Do you have other options beside satellite for internet? Cell phones have limits and many ground based internet providers are starting to set data limits. The price is outrageous because the cost of a satellite and ground infrastructure is outrageous compared to the  number of users it can support.

My speed is really good, what speeds do you get (click to enlarge)?

I can't even get my speed test to work...I have never gotten it to work. Have had HN for about 8 months.
Assistant Professor

The AT&T test is good for true Gen4 (Jupiter satellite) and helps for comparison. Only way to post results is with a snip though.

The HughesNet test is dying quickly with most browsers starting to lock out Java.

Also suggest a real time throughput meter like this to show up/down speed as it is happening.

Hey, I'm  not crying.   I'm stating facts about HN.  It sucks.   I'm not stupid or technically challenged.  This I've had internet service for years with cable.   I'm switching either to ATT or PRTC when my contract is up.   

No I wouldn't.   I'd tell them there are other satellite companies.  Try them.  Maybe they're no better but I'd try.   I will not be going with a satellite when my contract is up.   I wish I could stop it now but can't afford that.   I'll be going with ATT or PRTC that is available in my area.  Hopefully cable will be available in the future.   The thing I hate most is the data limit.   It's ridiculous and I can't afford to pay for more.   
Assistant Professor

Carol we all wish cable was available in our area, it is not, why we have satellite. The data limits are manageable with just a bit of effort. Are you on the lowest plan with 5 GB Anytime data? That would mean you have to limit usage to an average of 166 MB per day for the month.

If you are talking about switching to dial-up or DSL service then you might not be too happy with that either.
Associate Professor

TWC I would tell to eff off personally because of how they have treated me and this area as a whole.  But if anyone else came along, I would certainly go with them.
Assistant Professor

Depending on the quality of the copper lines, DSL may not be a whole lot faster than dial-up. Most likely will have no cap or a very high one though.
Honorary Alumnus

Carol,

You may not be "technology challenged" but it is possible that you may not be aware of a few twists and tricks that are unique to a satellite connection.

It has been said many time here on the forum "This ain't Cable".

Satellite is bound to different set of operating conditions than ground based ISP's

It can however run very well as evidenced by Bill and Sgoshe.

My system runs very well too for what it is:

If mine can run that way then so can yours but you will have to do some troubleshooting.

Your best troubleshooting avenue is right here on the forum, run a series of speed tests while connected directly to the modem and post the results here.